My impressions of the Lite-on 52246S

I will leave a proper review to the experts, but now that I have played with my new (overclocked) burner for around 6 weeks, I have come to the following conclusions:

1. It will burn most media, including cheap unbranded, error free (see my previous posts on this forum). The main exceptions were Sony 32x and Laser 40x.

2. It is fast. It burns 700Mb in under 2:30 mins (including lead-in and out) and reaches speeds of up to 52.3x, with an average burn speed around 39.6x.

3. It reads cdrs fast - up to around 53.4x.

4. Copying on the fly is effortless, with speeds over 40x reached.

5. It reads pressed audio cds poorly. Using EAC, extraction averages under 4x and speed is up and down like a yo-yo. My previous LTR 48125W managed over 12x and without all the peaks and troughs. I was suprised on installation that EAC advised that my Pioneer 106S was a better reader! Of course once you have backed up onto a cdr, it flies!

6. It is reliable. I have burned around 50cds and done 16 burns in a row and although the cds were warm to the touch, there were no problems.

I have not been able to find 24x cdrws to test, but at 12x, using low usage discs, it burns with no problems.

I can’t comment on backing up games because I don’t have a need to do that.

In all, unless you only backup pressed audio cds, this has to be the best value burner. The 48126S is available here for under $100 Australian.

Nice “review”!
Usefull as future reference for any lurker that might use the search :slight_smile:

… I use a LTR-48126S @ 52246S with FW 6S02 … I can’t say that it’s a slow audio-reader … even more: it reads “key2audio” and “DOCloc” protected cd’s real fine.

… about game-copying: standard copy-protection is no problem, even “Securom New V2” (with Blindsuite) and “Safedisc 2.80” (with Alcohol) are possible

… a real good burner, even better then my Plex (2410) …

Shivaz if I use Nero or CDDAE, extraction is very fast but the sound looses something. That is why I use EAC which duplicates the sound accurately.

I am not sure why when using EAC, it does not like the silver surface of a pressed disk, yet extracts at full speed when reading a burned disk.

Just curious…what condition are the pressed CD’s in? Are they scratched?

… funny thing with your EAC … I’ll test it next days !!

… but I’m sure the result depends on the prog we use. For 1:1 copy I use CloneCD, it’s fast and sounds well … The best audio-prog I know is Feurio , really perfect for 1:1, single track extraction and transforming . The only prob at this time, writing-support for the 52246 not installed, but I’ve done first-aid for myself :wink: … and I think an official driver-support will follow soon

… Nero, I don’t use it for audio … you’re right it sounds a little bit poor …

… I see, in Australia the same problem with 24x RW’s like in Europe … W orld W ide W aiting … :frowning:

… Greets …

Originally posted by ShivaZ
[B]… funny thing with your EAC … I’ll test it next days !!

… but I’m sure the result depends on the prog we use. For 1:1 copy I use CloneCD, it’s fast and sounds well … The best audio-prog I know is Feurio , really perfect for 1:1, single track extraction and transforming . The only prob at this time, writing-support for the 52246 not installed, but I’ve done first-aid for myself :wink: … and I think an official driver-support will follow soon

… Nero, I don’t use it for audio … you’re right it sounds a little bit poor …

… I see, in Australia the same problem with 24x RW’s like in Europe … W orld W ide W aiting … :frowning:

… Greets … [/B]

Yes, I also managed to use Feurio with the 52246 although as you say it is nor supported as yet. The results are very similar to EAC although extraction speeds are higher!.

I get high extraction speeds in CDDAE averaging around 25x but don’t use it.

I will be interested to see your results with EAC. Perhaps it is corrupted or maybe it does not support the 52246 properly either. It certainly was not a problem with the 48125.

Originally posted by BadReligionPR
Just curious…what condition are the pressed CD’s in? Are they scratched?

Yes, that would explain the slow extraction rates, but no, I do not own a scratched disk! I have a lot of $$ invested in my hi-fi and look after it.

sorry if this a newbie Q, but has anyone here tried the drive with the CDex audio extraction tool? I have had good results both in speed and sound with this before, but that is with a 40125S@48125W.

1. Copying on the fly is effortless, with speeds over 40x reached.

WTF does that have to do with the burner :confused: A good source drive is importaint not the the burner.

Originally posted by I Have Piles

WTF does that have to do with the burner :confused: A good source drive is importaint not the the burner.

Thank you for setting the record straight. I am going to dust of my old Acer 32x writer, which on the fly refused to burn at anything close to it’s maximum capability and put it back into my system. I still have the same configuration and will now try to convince it that it has an attitude problem.