My HP 1040 died need replacement

vbimport

My HP 1040 DVD drive died yesterday. :frowning:

Kerry56 suggested I start a thread asking for recommendations for a replacement. He mentioned that “It is getting harder to find good IDE burners…” so one of my questions is - Should I consider getting an external unit?

I have two PCs that are identical and other than the fact that one of the HP 1040 drives died, I have been happy with their operation.

I read somewhere that HP burners had become unreliable which, if true, would suggest that I not try to find another HP 1040 as a replacement.

I also read in another thread on this forum that HP burners were actually Lite-On drives. Of course, I have no way of determining if that is true nor what model of a Lite-On would be equivalent to the HP 1040, if any.

My major concern is software compatibility with my current Windows XP system as I use it almost exclusively for burning VIDEO_TS files onto 16X DVD-R blanks (I burn at 8X). I use ImgBurn or Sonic Record Now! (to burn and verify) and DVDShrink or DVDDecrypt for ripping. Occasionally I use the Nero DVDSpeed program is determine a particular DVD (or DVD-R)quality.

I gave up trying to burn DL blanks and I have never used the LightScribe function on the HP 1040 drives. So my use of the burner is a pretty simple and straight forward process. I’ve been very pleased with the results (less than 1% coasters).

And finally, here is a list of burners that were suggested I consider that are currently for sale on Newegg.com No particular order except the Samsung SH-S222A (at the top of the list) was specifically suggested as “…a reasonably good drive.”

Thank you for any comments or suggestions. :wink:

=================================================

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222A - OEM

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 - OEM

PLEXTOR 22X CD/DVD Burner Black IDE Model PX-870A LightScribe Support - OEM

LG 22X Super Multi DVD Writer Black IDE Model GH22LP20 LightScribe Support - Retail

PLEXTOR 22X DVD/CD Writer Black IDE Model PX-870A LightScribe Support - Retail

Pioneer CD/DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-118LBK LabelFlash Support - OEM

Pioneer CD/DVD Writer Black IDE Model DVR-A18M LabelFlash Support - Retail

LITE-ON 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model iHAP222-06 LightScribe Support - OEM

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222L LightScribe Support - OEM

LITE-ON 22X DVD Writer Black IDE Model Ihap322-98 - Retail

LITE-ON 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model iHAP122-04 - OEM

LITE-ON 22X DVD Writer Black IDE Model iHAP422-98 LightScribe Support - Retail

I received a suggestion that I forget about an IDE burner and get a SATA connected burner.

Specifically, this one.

LITE-ON Lite-On 24X iHAS324 SATA CD/DVD Burner - Retail

Based on the 84 reviews posted on Newegg (75% rated it a 5.0) I think that is what I’m going to do.

If it performs as well as I hope, I might even replace my other HP 1040 before it dies also.

Burn on,