My first USB 3 Device

vbimport

Well as most you know I just finished a new build. It has the Asus Rampage 111 Extreme motherboard which supports USB3. So like anyother systems builder I couldnt wait to get my hands on something that was USB3, so I opted for a Western Digital Passport External 1TB Hard drive. It was 99.00 on Amazon so I decided to buy it. Well, I dont know whether I am happy or sad. I have the same external in USB2 and I get about 35mbs. With the USB 3 device I get about 100Mbs a sec, transfer speed. Thats about 3X faster than USB2. I really thought it would be faster but you get what you get. My question is , has anyone else tried a USB 3 device and what transfer speeds are you experiencing? Thanks for any feedback.

Your hard drive is probably the limiting factor Alan.

So you’re presumably at the mechanical limit of what your hard drive can transfer.

In theory USB3 can handle transfer rates in excess of 600MB/s which is way way faster than any hard drive can manage.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Correct, it can never run faster than the speed of the HDD or SSD.

Here is an old OCZ Apex SSD connected to USB3 on the Asus P8P67 Deluxe (P67 chipset)

My Vertex 2 is giving me, well I will post a graph of ATTO.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Something is wrong here.

Your Vertex 2 results look normal, and very much faster than the WD HDD,
Connect the WD HDD via SATA and see what you get, I would expect the same as you get with it connected via USB3. :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: I think your speeds are good.

How old is the USB2 external drive? If its more than 2 years old then that would make sense, and it would depend on the exact brand and all as to how fast the drive would be. New mechanical HDD’s can hit 150MB/s, but thats just at the beginning of the disc. SSD’s are fast across their whole recording medium.

I thinnk I found the answer, the WD Passport 3.0 USB is only 3X faster than the USB 2.0. Freaking unreal. I am reading reviews of the drives.

http://www.ps3xboxwiidspsppciphoneipadtips.info/archives/western-digital-my-passport-essential-se-1-tb-usb-3-02-0-ultra-portable-external-hard-drive-silver-reviews.html

I have read about 10 reviews, they all say the drive USB3.0 Passport is just 3X faster than USB 2.0, and thats max. People are getting less than me LOL. I made the ultimate mistake, I bought before I read.:doh:

@Wendy

What kind of Mass Storage USB 3.0 device is that you posted in HDTune?

[QUOTE=alan1476;2585844]@Wendy

What kind of Mass Storage USB 3.0 device is that you posted in HDTune?[/QUOTE]It’s on old OCZ APEX SSD, docked into an[B]Icy Box IB-110StU3-B USB 3.0 Docking Station[/B]

[QUOTE=Dee;2585846]It’s on old OCZ APEX SSD, docked into an[B]Icy Box IB-110StU3-B USB 3.0 Docking Station[/B][/QUOTE]

Ah, that makes sense, if you look or read about any of these External USB 3.0 drives, with the fastest Hard drive and the the best system, they will only read and write at 3X the speed of a USB 2.0 external hard drive. Most USB 2.0 external hard drives, the portables like the WD Passport , or the Seagate 3.0.
Here is a review from Newegg. I even get better transfer rates than this.

[B]Rating: 5/5USB 3.0 Hard Drive Very Speedy[/B]

[B]Pros:[/B] Faster then what I thought it was going to be. Transfer test with H2testw 9.76gb in 122 seconds. So I am very happy.

USB 3.0 both ways 9.76gb in 122 seconds
Write Speed: 82.7 MByte/s
Read Speed: 82.8 MByte/s

USB 2.0 9.76gb Write 313 seconds Read 290 seconds
Write Speed: 31.9 MByte/s
Read Speed: 34.4 MByte/s
[B]Cons:[/B] None.
[B]Other Thoughts:[/B] I wish Western Digital would put the rpm of there Portable Hard Drive on the box. I think it’s 5400. Either way I am very happy with the performance

I think you got a pretty good deal for the money Alan so I’d be happy with that too.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2585880]I think you got a pretty good deal for the money Alan so I’d be happy with that too.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
I should have done my homework, I have 2 very fast Hard drives and for me to buy a 5400RPM USB 3.0 external is not something I would normally do. Eh, at least I have another terabyte of data space.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2585886]Eh, at least I have another terabyte of data space.;)[/QUOTE]

And it’s three times as fast as your previous one! :slight_smile:

Can’t be all that bad. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

100Mbs is awesome from a 5400rpm drive, thats better than most 7200 rpm drives from a few years ago. if it really bothers you that much you could pop the hood and throw in a 7200rpm, 10k rpm, or ssd :smiley:

The jury is still out on the survival of a relatively new standard like USB3.0 in the market place.

personally I’ve pretty much committed to eSATA externals
but I’ll likely get a PCIe card for my computer to be able to
read/write (quickly) to USB3.0 externals that a client might bring by…

I have hopes that eSATAp will be a success, but I don’t jump head
first into ANY “new” standard…

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2586703]The jury is still out on the survival of a relatively new standard like USB3.0 in the market place.

personally I’ve pretty much committed to eSATA externals
but I’ll likely get a PCIe card for my computer to be able to
read/write (quickly) to USB3.0 externals that a client might bring by…

I have hopes that eSATAp will be a success, but I don’t jump head
first into ANY “new” standard…

AD[/QUOTE]
You have to understand, this is my new build, its a 980X with an Asus Rampage 111 Extreme Mobo and 6 gbs of very fast triple chanell RAM, it has SATA 6.0 ports and USB 3.0 ports. Its awesome, I really worked hard on this and did my homework, for me not to realize that WD Passport Externals were 5400RPM drive with a Max of 100Mbs on any system is not something I overlook, but I did. :confused:

Well the whole situation has changed, I e-mailed WD support to tell them how disappointed I was with the USB 3 drive, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I got a small box in the mail with a new USB 3 cable in it, it was twice the diameter of the one that came with the drive, it now has a transfer rate of 175mbs. I think they realized they made an error and were selling USB3 drives with defective cables. There was no note in the box, just a cable, no explaination, I guess nothing needed to be said. Problem solved, I never thought I would see 175mbs a sec on a USB3 drive, a Passport yet, its so small I can put it in my shirt pocket. Just thought I would let you all know.

thats burst speed though right? what sequential read/write are you getting? I didn’t realize it was a 2.5" drive before so I’m betting you won’t see any improvement in actual usage since the drive probably tops out around 60Mbs, but a free high quality usb cable is always a bonus :smiley:

[QUOTE=jwill427;2587385]thats burst speed though right? what sequential read/write are you getting? I didn’t realize it was a 2.5" drive before so I’m betting you won’t see any improvement in actual usage since the drive probably tops out around 60Mbs, but a free high quality usb cable is always a bonus :D[/QUOTE]

I was all in your corner but the fact is that I am getting 175mbs transfer speed and I am as surprised as you are. I transfered all my files from my DATA drive to he WD Passport USB 3 at 175mbs. It not only a real improvement its amazing.

[B]This benchmark is the woorst case senario.[/B]