My first CDR burn with no C2 errors!

my burner is the Asus DRW-1608P3S@Pioneer DVR-111L 8.29 INT (TDB)
52X Verbatim branded Taiyo Yuden burnt with EAC+CDRDAO @4X (strangely buffer was empty during the whole burning process) using SPTI interface (don’t know if it has anything to do with burning!) and 18+ write offset (ditto!)

i burned few other data cds with the same burner at 40X in nero ultra 6.6.1.4 (verbatim and taiyo yuden and daxon) and there have always been some C2 errors in them when scanned with the same drive (very low in taiyo yuden though)

so now i don’t know whether the burning program is responsible or being an audio cd has something to do with the quality, should there be any C2 errors at all in a “excellent burn”?

anyway here’s the cdspeed captures

There should be no C2 errors on a healthy CDR.

If you’re getting C2 even with TY (excluding the burn above), then I’d look at how good the Pio is at scanning CDRs.

I’ve never seen it mentioned nor recommended regarding scanning CDRs…

can’t i just use it to compare between 2 burns and not as an absolute source of results?

i mean this CD is clearly better than all the other CDs i burned with it, couldn’t it be that EAC is better than Nero in my case? or maybe burning at a lower speed?
i was kinda frustrated with the previous results because the Pio is supposed to be a good CD burner

i have another DVDRW which is a Philips SDVD8441 (laptop drive), its a crappy drive but i believe its a good scanner, it gives consistent results, so i scanned the CDs with it and it gives similar results to the Pio

Ah OK. As I said, I never saw anyone use a Pio to scan CDRs before, so don’t take my reply as gospel.

Someone else may chime in with some more info for you :wink:

Pioneer 111 series report C2=E22+E32 unlike most other drives which report C2=E32. On top of that the Pioneer 111 tends to show random C2 spikes.

This makes the Pioneer 111 series an extremely picky and not very reliable CD scanner, but in my experience so far, it’s a one-sided problem where the Pioneer 111 always tend to show more C2 than other drives.

If you get a CD scan on a Pioneer 111 series drive with low C1 and no C2, the disc should be excellent!

thanks you
i was thinking if the CD showed no C2 errors while all previous CDs did then it must be some super burn

i wish i had a liteon to scan it with, i have an asus CDRW which i think is supported by CDSpeed i will see if i can scan the CD with it

by the way what you said about Pioneer CD scanning is very true, random C2 spikes sometimes only 2 on the entire CD

so now i should do more testing to see whether its EAC or the 4X burning speed that produced this result

btw by any chance do you happen to know why the CD scanning speed in pioneer is so low i am using ECC=1 in fastest mode, is there a faster option?

so now i should do more testing to see whether its EAC or the 4X burning speed that produced this result
It’s a combination of media, drive, firmware and burnspeed. EAC has nothing to do with the C1/C2 errors on the disc.

btw by any chance do you happen to know why the CD scanning speed in pioneer is so low i am using ECC=1 in fastest mode, is there a faster option?
There’s only one CD scanning speed available for the Pioneer 111 series drives. The accuracy and ECC settings are only for DVD scans.

thanks for clarifying this for me

The pioneer reports random results for C2. Do not trust it. All your other discs probably have no C2 at all and its just the pioneer being random.

I wouldn’t bother with 4x burning. Its a bit slow.

yeah i didn’t throw the discs away because the TRTs were smooth and the discs were totally readable