My experience with Verbatim & Memorex DVD+R DL

Hello,

I have just registered to the site. I want you to know about my experience with Verbatim DVD+R DL. Though those made in Singupore are considered to be the best among Dual Layer DVDs, two disks I burned with NERO 7 resulted in failure.

Then I tried Memorex DVD+R DL, which are considered to be one of the worst. Burned 5 disks without a problem.

In fact, Memorex DVD+R 2.4-8x 8.5 GB have given me only 2 failures out of 12 I have burned so far. Will let you know when I finish all 25 I bought.

Roma

Hello,

I am not sure about Verbatim anymore. Yesterday I bought a pack of 20 (on sale now at Futureshop). They are Verbatim 2,4-6x 8.5 GB, made in Singapore. They are considered to be the best.

Burned two, both are coasters. Very dissappointed. Certainly I want to give it back. I also bought the same pack but made in India. I am not sure if I want to try them now. They are considered of lower quality than those made in Singapore.

After failures I tried Memorex 2,4-8x. Burned the same movies without any problem. Then burned a few more disks. No problem. I had two coasters with the same package of 25 before. So far, I have burned about 12 with only 2 coasters.

If Futureshop takes bad product back, I will try TDK.

Good luck burning!
Roma

WinXP Pro, AMD Athlon XP 2500+, 1 GB DDR, 160 GB HD - main, 160 GB HD – second, LG CD-RW GCE-8481B, Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108

[QUOTE=Roma;1955197]Hello,

I am not sure about Verbatim anymore. Yesterday I bought a pack of 20 (on sale now at Futureshop). They are Verbatim 2,4-6x 8.5 GB, made in Singapore. They are considered to be the best.

Burned two, both are coasters. Very dissappointed. Certainly I want to give it back. I also bought the same pack but made in India. I am not sure if I want to try them now. They are considered of lower quality than those made in Singapore.

After failures I tried Memorex 2,4-8x. Burned the same movies without any problem. Then burned a few more disks. No problem. I had two coasters with the same package of 25 before. So far, I have burned about 12 with only 2 coasters.

If Futureshop takes bad product back, I will try TDK.

Good luck burning!
Roma
[/QUOTE]

What kind of writer you have? Your sig points to outdated writers. If this is true, it makes sense that it has trouble with even Verbatim DL discs.

Agreed, [B]cd pirate[/B]. The Pioneer DVR-108 is many generations old and is not suitable for burning modern media.

Also, for those who are expressing concern over durability of Ritek media, it really depends on the dye type used. Ricoh dye is known to be very reliable over time, whereas Ritek “G” dye (G03, G04, G05, etc.) is known to be rather unstable.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

@Roma,

welcome to cdfreaks!

Please post the mediacode from both the Verbatim and the Memorex DL media here.
Some DL media can be burned better than the others, depending on the burner too.
But in general, Verbatim DL is the best.

Roma, what burner do you have?
I’ve burned a lot of verbatim, and never got a coaster (at least with plextor 760A and LiteOn 20A1H).
Looks like the perfect speed is 4x on the LiteOn.

Taiyo Yuden does make 8x DVD-R DL, but I don’t think you want to pay for them: http://www.burnsmart.com/ty-8x-iwhub-dl-dvd-r.html

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;1955860]Taiyo Yuden does make 8x DVD-R DL, but I don’t think you want to pay for them: http://www.burnsmart.com/ty-8x-iwhub-dl-dvd-r.html[/QUOTE]

Do you know what’s the ID of those discs? I doubt any dvd burner has their codes… lol

[I][off topic, maybe][/I]

TYG11 is the Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R DL MID. However, notice that the original post was in 2005, before the media was even conceived. :flower: There was a test on TYG11 somewhere on the web. There’s a thread around here with the link. Many burners seemed to lack the strategy, but some drives did well with it.

[I][back on topic][/I]

[QUOTE=Roma;1955169]Hello,

I have just registered to the site. I want you to know about my experience with Verbatim DVD+R DL. Though those made in Singupore are considered to be the best among Dual Layer DVDs, two disks I burned with NERO 7 resulted in failure.

Then I tried Memorex DVD+R DL, which are considered to be one of the worst. Burned 5 disks without a problem.

In fact, Memorex DVD+R 2.4-8x 8.5 GB have given me only 2 failures out of 12 I have burned so far. Will let you know when I finish all 25 I bought.

Roma[/QUOTE]

Burners can be very picky and pesky! Use what works for you. Kinda funny I too use and have great burns with what most people can’t stand or say are poor qaulity media… So They Say! :eek::eek:

Hello,

Sorry, I can not reply to all posts regarding my bad experience with Verbatim, but I will do it later.

My burner is Pioneer DVR-108. I agree, it is probably too old (3 y.o.) and is indeed very sensitive. For example, it sometimes does not read some VTSs because of minor scratches or something else. Other drives sometimes read the same files.

Though I plan to buy a new one, probably Sony/NEC with lightscribe, for now it is what I have. It works fine with single layer. I have good burns with Memorex DVD+R DL, which is RITEK-S04-42, 2.4x. For burning I use NERO7 with 2 passes. This could require better media for it needs more consistency. However, I have never used any other mode. DL prices are still high to play with DL disks.

Thank you for your feedback.
Roma

Hello mgdking,

I have never seen DVD-R DL yet. All I have seen by now were DVD+R DL. I have even talked with sales people. They have never seen them either.

Roma

FYI, I’ve had excellent results - [I]no coasters ever![/I] - with Verbatim DVD+R DL discs on my LITE-ON LH-20A1H drive.

However, I’ve been scouting around for a printable version of DVD+R DL media. Anyone used the Ritek DVD+R DL 2.4X 8.5GB DL discs offered over at Allmedia Outlet?

I never had a coaster yet using Verbatim DVD+R DL and Verbatim DVD-R DL also.

Hello everyone,

Well, yesterday I finished 25-disk spindle of Memorex DVD+R DL. Everything burned very well with two (2) coasters only.

With my Pioneer DVR-108 I had the following results:
Memorex DVD+R DL - RITEK S-04-42 - 23 good burns with 2 coasters
TDK DVD+R DL - RITEK-D01-01 - 2 coasters - returned disks to the store
Verbatim DVD+R DL - MKM-001-00 - 2 coasters - returned disks to the store

I agree, I would probably have better results with new DVD-burner. However, I also agree that each burner has its favourite disks.

I am thinking about buying [B][SIZE=3]SONY NEC OPTIARC AD7191A-OB 20X LS.[/B] It has LightScribe. Any idea?[/SIZE]

Best wishes,
Roma

WinXP Pro, AMD Athlon XP 2500+, 1 GB DDR, 160 GB HD - main, 160 GB HD – second, 120 GB external HD, LG CD-RW GCE-8481B, Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office” /><o:p></o:p>

Hello everyone,

Every time I have two messages posted. Have to figure out what is wrong. Sorry.

Roma

WinXP Pro, AMD Athlon XP 2500+, 1 GB DDR, 160 GB HD - main, 160 GB HD – second, 120 GB external HD, LG CD-RW GCE-8481B, Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108

[quote=Roma;1958215]Hello everyone,

Well, yesterday I finished 25-disk spindle of Memorex DVD+R DL. Everything burned very well with two (2) coasters only.

I agree, I would probably have better results with new DVD-burner. However, I also agree that each burner has its favourite disks.

I am thinking about buying [B][SIZE=3]SONY NEC OPTIARC AD7191A-OB 20X LS.[/B] It has LightScribe. Any idea?[/SIZE]

Best wishes,
Roma
[/quote]
The AD-7191A drive is based on the LiteOn DH-20A3H. Its relative, the DH-20A3P [AD-7190A], sometimes has issues burning to DL media. It might be best to go for Pioneer DVR-112/DVR-115 or LiteOn LH-20A1P/DH-20A4P for DL burns at this time.

[QUOTE=Roma;1958215]Hello everyone,

Best wishes,
Roma[/QUOTE]

As already pointed out in the similar thread here in BLANK MEDIA forum, the DVR-108 is a old DL burner (the first DL burner by Pioneer) and is not supported anymore since years. The only DL media you should try with is Verbatim DL media and it should work nicely if your burner is still okay and your setup/hardware/software too.
Forget all that other listed DL media.

Even they would burn successfully, scan them for quality and you will see why they are not reliable!

Hi [B]Roma[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Posting essentially the same questions in two threads makes it harder for everyone else to participate, since replies are scattered across two threads. This is called cross-posting, and for said reasons we don’t allow it.

I have moved the relevant posts from those two threads to this new thread.

• Posts from two other threads moved to this new thread * *

Hello Chef,

Did you read my post regarding close to perfect burns with Memorex? I agree with The C. that each burner has its own preference. You also have Pioneer. Which one?

Thank you for, Wallace, for your opinion on the Sony burner. I would certainly listen to you and others and will go for Lite-On. I also hope that is reads scratched disks, because this is one of the major reasons I want to buy a new DVD-burner.

Regards,
Roma