My Experience with LTR-48125W

vbimport

1. Whenever I burned a lot of small files (say 20,000 x 30K) from my hard disk to the CD-RW, my hard disk is not fast enough to keep pace with the 48X burning speed. I'd see the buffer gradually used up and the burning process suspended by BURN-Proof. However, instead of filling up the buffer and continuing the burning process, Nero shows an error message and produces a coaster. It happend thrice already.

2. I'm using firmware VS06 and TDK 40X-certified 80 Min disc (made by Ritek). Out of the 20 discs I burned so far, 15 are perfect (with less than 0.1% error when checked with Nero CD Speed ScanDisc), 2 are having unreadable sector (unreadable by even the CD-RW) and 3 are coasters (produced by the problem described above). The drive seems to be picky not only to the brand of the disc but also to the quality of individual disc.

3. The strange pause at the end of the burning process happended frequently but not every time. I believe it has something to do with the quality of individual disc. When I burned two discs (of the same brand) with exactly the same data, the pause happened only during the first burn but not the second time.

cdr overclocker, there is another thread that is linked to this problem …you are not the only one getting these end of disc failures. Does the LED go from red to orange at the point that it should be writing the lead out? does it state write error?..if so are you using norton antivirus by any chance? please read the thread started by dbauerle “OC 40125S HANGS AT THE END OF BURNS”…DAVE

I think this maybe a media vs hardware issue…I had a second Liteon 40125S o/ced 48x…I used TY 40x rated cdrs and clone would be fine till 90+% then it would drop speed to finish at 40x burn …very weird …my previous 40125S o/ced did not have a problem with these media at 48x burn…

also my 40x rated Philips cdrs did fine at 48x in this cdrw

I should point I tried all 48x fw and this drive hated the TY40x cdrs…

So I think some 40125S and maybe 48125W may have issue with media that most others support fine

Now is it purely a hardware issue with a periodic peculiar drive …or media or just needs a fw boost

Also why did they slow the 40x burn in VS04/6 to 18-40 vs 22-40

Hi CDR Overclocker,

I’ve mentioned the same Problem.
My Writer is oc from 32W to 48W. (vs02,vs04,vs06 > no difference)
I’ve tested so far 3 types of Media, Acer 700Mb(max 48),Moser Baer 700Mb(max 48x) and Pro Disc 700Mb(max 40x) and will all this media Nero stops writing, when data rate ist too low.
Nero display a “Write Error” Message and I have anonther coaster.
For me this problem happened @20,30 or whatever percent, not only at the end of burning.
DMA is enabled!
I think, that others have this problem more at the end of the burn process, because @48x they’ve reached the hiest data rate (7200kb).
During my tests my data came via network.
And, as far as I’ve noted, this problem exist at 32x,40x and 48x.
Only when i try to write disc with original 32125W Firmware, ( which is in simulation mode only possible at 16x speed, nero can fill his buffer and restart write process without a problem.

But!
When writing via cdrwin, after a buffer-underun cdrwin do not wait until his own buffer is filled again ( for me 32Mb).
CDRwin end writing with a flashing writer Led ( between red for burning and orange for awaiting data).

Supi

with large numbers of files, the HD will slow to a crawl when reading. I have a database that is over 80,000 files in a couple hundred folders, totals about 400MB. The only way I can burn it is by caching the files first, with the Nero “cache files smaller than” feature. then it will burn at 40x. Otherwise the buffers both go dry.
No one has mentioned if they are using this feature or not.

I just tried the Philips 40X media and while it didn’t produce errors during the read test, it did slow down considerably around 70min mark. (I did burn it at 48X though…real 48125W drive)

That’s why I returned my drive and am waiting on a CRW-F1.

I think it’s a combination of hardware and media as someone else said.

FYI the drive does write flawlessly to Taiyo Yuden 40X media. The problem is that they are about .30 a pop.

Thank you all for your valuable input.

In summary, I think the LTR-48125W (geninue or oc) has the following problems:

1. BURN-Proof not working

Just try to write a bunch of small files and you’d see how it fails. I know Nero has the option to cache small files but I never use it for speed’s sake. My other two LiteOn drives (a LTR-0841 -> LTR-1210B and a LTR-24102B) never fail this test because BURN-Proof will kick in whenever the reading of files from hard disk cannot catch up with the writing speed.

1. Speed slow down at end of writing process

I guess it depends on the calibration process. If the drive determines that the media is not good enough during calibration, it will slow down the writing speed at the outermost rim where the writing speed is the highest to ensure that data are written correctly. That’s why it appears to occur by chance even if I use only one brand of media consistently.

1. Writing Quality

Defeat (even a slight scratch) near the outermost rim will likely result in unreadable sectors.

Thank you all for your valuable input.

In summary, I think the LTR-48125W (geninue or oc) has the following problems:

1. BURN-Proof not working

Just try to write a bunch of small files and you’d see how it fails. I know Nero has the option to cache small files but I never use it for speed’s sake. My other two LiteOn drives (a LTR-0841 -> LTR-1210B and a LTR-24102B) never fail this test because BURN-Proof will kick in whenever the reading of files from hard disk cannot catch up with the writing speed.

I do not have this problem, tried other programs to see if it’s a Nero problem?

1. Speed slow down at end of writing process

I guess it depends on the calibration process. If the drive determines that the media is not good enough during calibration, it will slow down the writing speed at the outermost rim where the writing speed is the highest to ensure that data are written correctly. That’s why it appears to occur by chance even if I use only one brand of media consistently.

This is media related, happens more frequenty with VS06 firmware compared to VS02 firmware, better to have a slowdown than a total crash or unreadable disc?

1. Writing Quality

Defeat (even a slight scratch) near the outermost rim will likely
result in unreadable sectors.

True, very true, at 48X recording the media must be totally errorfree to work as it should. Not much media could really handle 48X writing speeds.

Is really 48X writing worth the trouble? Why not stick to 40X and 32X and be sure that the writing quality is top?

I’ve seen asus 48X reviews and the writing quality is the same as Lite-On if not worse…this may be a media problem as well as a firmware tweaking problem.

@ OC-Freak
You wrote:
I do not have this problem, tried other programs to see if it’s a Nero problem?

When writing via cdrwin, after a buffer-underun, cdrwin do not wait until his own buffer is filled again ( for me 32Mb). CDRwin continous writing with a flashing writer Led ( between red for burning and orange for awaiting data).

It could really be a media problem, but why there is no problem with original 32W Firmware and the same media?

What version of Cdrwin are you using,Supi??:slight_smile:

@roadworker : latest 3.9a june 2002

i am confused by the first point rasied. Why cant the HD keep up? even when a 48X burn reaches maximum it is only burning 7.2MB per second and yet a fragmented UDMA 100 HDD is easily capabale of 34MB per second, then when you take in to account the buffer the burning program creates and the buffer in the drive the HD should be able to cope easily. :confused:

When you’re reading/indexing large numbers of small files, the HD can slow to the equivalent of 4x CD burning, this is normal depending on the number and size of the files. this is why Nero has the “cache files smaller than:” option, because caching will make the 40x burn possible. It does, however require you to wait while the files are cached before the burn can start. With my own database file, if I don’t cache, and let the buffer underrun protection handle the slow-down, the write speed will slow to a crawl that is, no surprise, about the same amount of time as caching the files takes.
ATA100 drives never actually reach those speeds, most of the time they run closer to 33, and even slower than that in the above case.

Nero 5.5.9.0 seems to solve my Problem with write error.
Nero waits longer, so the drive is able to continue the writing process. But 15-20 seconds to continue writing after nero has filled his own buffer seems to be a bit long.

Whoohoo my first post here! Well, just before going straight into the subject, I’d just like to say that i’ve browsed this form for quite a while now and I must say that it’s one of the best and most interesting forum I’ve ever been to thanks to all the members that post inteligent posts (which is becoming rare nowadays) and OC-Freak that, I must admit, is a more than just a fantastic moderator :wink:

Is your writer on the same IDE cable than your HD? it might be the problem.

IDE does not allow multiple access on the same cable for different device. It has to stop one device to access the other one.

For that, each time a set of data is sent to the writer, the HD has to be stopped and vice versa.

It’s extremely stressing for the hardware, and at such high speed, even with 7200 RPM HD, it will likely make troubles.

I never had problems doing this way:

Primary master : CDRW
PS: DVD-ROM
SM: HD

The only drawback of this configuration is that you cannot do direct CD copy.

HD is at another channel from the CD-RW.
Even try another ATA-100 controller without avail.

Have you ever tried burning over 30,000 small files from HD to CDRW? If you try once what I’ve done you’d see the problem.

CDR Overclocker,

In case you are not worried about accessing the files directly from the CD, try this:

Zip / Rar all the files you want to burn into a single file or several smaller ones, totalling upto your disk capacity. Then burn the zipped /rar’d files to your CD.

Have you tried creating an image file first and then burning the image to CD?

Originally posted by burnproof
[B]CDR Overclocker,

In case you are not worried about accessing the files directly from the CD, try this:

Zip / Rar all the files you want to burn into a single file or several smaller ones, totalling upto your disk capacity. Then burn the zipped /rar’d files to your CD.

Have you tried creating an image file first and then burning the image to CD? [/B]

Thank you for your advise, but the files must be burnt as they are.

My solution right now is either to burn an image first or use my other burner (LTR-24102B) to burn these files.