My experience with HDCP

Just posting to help others that are new to HD, like myself.
I found out about HDCP when trying to record from my new HD cable box to my old non-HDMI DVD recorder.
I discovered that I had to disconnect the HDMI cable going from my cable box to my HDTV in order to record onto my old DVD recorder.
Apparently, the DVD won’t accept the video signal because of the HDMI connection (with HDCP) from the cable box to the TV.
Hope this helps newbies like myself!

More likely that the cable box will not send video over both outputs at once, which is not uncommon.

[QUOTE=CDan;2236518]More likely that the cable box will not send video over both outputs at once, which is not uncommon.[/QUOTE]

Humm, that’s a thought. Maybe you’re right!
What threw me off track was while trying to view video through my DVD to my TV I got an error message on my TV about not able to accept HDCP.
Then I read about HDCP, unplugged HDMI to the TV and it cured the problem.
I figured the TV was getting the HDCP handshake through the HDMI cable and wasn’t allowing the video to go to the DVD recorder. (DVD has no HDMI to get the handshake)

[QUOTE=poconojoe;2237015]Humm, that’s a thought. Maybe you’re right!
What threw me off track was while trying to view video through my DVD to my TV I got an error message on my TV about not able to accept HDCP.
Then I read about HDCP, unplugged HDMI to the TV and it cured the problem.
I figured the TV was getting the HDCP handshake through the HDMI cable and wasn’t allowing the video to go to the DVD recorder. (DVD has no HDMI to get the handshake)[/QUOTE]

HDCP is relevant only to HDMI connects. There are plenty of sat and cable boxes that can output to both analog and HDMI at the same time.

If it’s a HDMI handshake issue, simply turning off the monitor could solve it. Most sat and cable boxes don’t even have HDCP, though most TVs do. TVs are supposed to accept non-HDCP compliant inputs too.

Your cable box may have settings relevant to outputting to analog and HDMI that could affect what you’re doing.