My DW1650 won't write DVD-R verbatims

Hello everyone,

I’ve just bought used BenQ DW1650 as my old Lite-On died and successfully updated firmware to BCHC from The Dangerous Brothers website. I installed also QSuite v2.1 and did qscans on my dvd-r verbatims. First scan was OK with speed 8x and second with 4x. So I used those speeds when burning my data with ImgBurn 2.5.7.0 but both discs failed. First (8x) near the end, second (4x) right at the start of burning process. And here’s error message that popped up while writing for the second time.

Unfortunately, didn’t save the first one but I think it was exactly the same error.

I never had any problems with burning those verbatims with my Lite-On and have no idea what’s wrong with BenQ? What should I do to check whether it’s writer’s fault or those verbatims are no good any more or maybe I should use different program?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

ps.
For a quick test I burned Sony CD-R disc with 24x speed and no problems whatsoever. Even though, QSuite didn’t recognized this disc.

BenQ DW 1650 and 1655 were never really good with dash media. Some of the brands are not recognised in their firmware, especially now that they are old and some media is new. I would stick with Verbatim MCC004 + media. Its good almost everytime.

I’m pretty sure I won’t find those Verbatims MCC004 in my town. Could you recommend me some other good DVD+R media please?

[QUOTE=vitamin0;2675578]I’m pretty sure I won’t find those Verbatims MCC004 in my town. Could you recommend me some other good DVD+R media please?[/QUOTE]
JVC Taiyo Yudens available at just about every mdeia outlet on the internet, I get mine from Supermedia Store but they are the same from anyplace. Yuden T02

Gentlements, reinspect the posted picture and I’m sure you will find the cause for write error.

No matter what disc used. Sure it’s not the drives fault. :smiley:

[QUOTE=pinto2;2675867]No matter what disc used. Sure it’s not the drives fault. :D[/QUOTE]
So what is it? Neither media, nor writer? I don’t get it:confused:

[QUOTE=vitamin0;2675897]So what is it? Neither media, nor writer? I don’t get it:confused:[/QUOTE]
It might be that the file inside the .zip is not an .iso, but thats just a guess.

Of course there are no iso files inside zip, rar or 7z files that I was trying to burn. Why would I need to convert archive files to iso files? I’m trying to back-up my data from hdd to dvds - that’s all. Besides, I could burn some others files to cd-r, but had no luck with dvd-r media.

[QUOTE=vitamin0;2675935]Of course there are no iso files inside zip, rar or 7z files that I was trying to burn. Why would I need to convert archive files to iso files? I’m trying to back-up my data from hdd to dvds - that’s all. Besides, I could burn some others files to cd-r, but had no luck with dvd-r media.[/QUOTE]
Just trying to help here, pinto2 said he saw something in your screeny but wont tell us what it is. So I took a guess. To me it looks like a media related issue and usually means the firmware doesn’t have descriptor for it. Without being there I do not have any more insight into this issue, maybe pinto2 will let us in on his secret. LOL:)

Tomorrow I’d like to buy some other media, DVD+R this time, and hopefully this should give us answer whether it’s media issue or not.

But I just checked one of the biggest online shops in my country and couldn’t find neither JVC Taiyo Yudens nor Verbatims MCC004. Here’s link to selection of DVD media available in this store:
Proline.pl - Blank CD, DVD and Blu-Ray

Which media should I get from those in the link above?

[QUOTE=vitamin0;2675951]Tomorrow I’d like to buy some other media, DVD+R this time, and hopefully this should give us answer whether it’s media issue or not.

But I just checked one of the biggest online shops in my country and couldn’t find neither JVC Taiyo Yudens nor Verbatims MCC004. Here’s link to selection of DVD media available in this store:

Which media should I get from those in the link above?[/QUOTE] May I ask what country you are in? Maybe I can help ?

this :sad:

[QUOTE=vitamin0;2675951]Tomorrow I’d like to buy some other media, DVD+R this time, and hopefully this should give us answer whether it’s media issue or not.

Which media should I get from those in the link above?[/QUOTE]

http://proline.pl/?p=V+D%2BR+4%2C7+16+50

[QUOTE=pinto2;2675867]Gentlements, reinspect the posted picture and I’m sure you will find the cause for write error.

No matter what disc used. Sure it’s not the drives fault. :D[/QUOTE]

I think pinto2 is just being un helpful and rude!

But is referring to the fact that the OP is trying to write more data than there is space on the disc! Over 4.4 to 4.37 space!?

But if so is pinto2 correct?
Does Imgburn report Gb or GiB? So is disc capacity 4.37 or 4.7? :confused:

[QUOTE=Sonic2171;2676893]I think pinto2 is just being un helpful and rude!

But is referring to the fact that the OP is trying to write more data than there is space on the disc! Over 4.4 to 4.37 space![/QUOTE]
Thank you Sonic2171, sometime its right before your eyes and I didn’t see it. Thank you again. I hope the OP comes back.:flower:

Sorry all, it was not my intent to disregard anyone on this forum. :sad:

[I]Don’t know where to start because there is so much to comment…but I’ll leave a few remarks.[/I]

i. TP, there is nothing wrong with your media because the write errors are in data/ media sectors off DVD-R disc. (Faulty media almost always result in write errors already in lead-in sectors.)

ii. File size. The file to be burned fits well on DVD-R disc (specifikation).

iii. When handling or backing up CSS media from a HDD drive you have to do the right steps (I’m living in piratebay country, so no instructions from me in this forum).
Basically it’s all about how you back up your media at start. Even if you’r able to write it to your DVD disk, the “thing” will never run on your new HDD disk.
A quote from my son (“A CSS encrypted DVD will have a sector key in the reserved 6 bytes of the header. Although DVD recordable drives write all 2418 bytes to each sector, only 2048 bytes of user data are transferred to the drive by the authoring or burning software. The rest of the information is calculated automatically by the drive’s firmware. If you are authoring a DVD title that requires CSS encryption, you will need to write your DVD master as a DDP image to DLT. This is because the encoders that create DVD masters at the DVD factory are designed to read these keys during the encoding of masters that require CSS encryption.”
)

BTW, Qsuite can only be used with DVD media… :wink:

I’m sorry for my very late reply but didn’t have much free time lately. Anyway, I managed to buy right media this time (those Verbatims MCC004) and here’s the result:

Is it any good?

BTW, I was burning this disc with ImgBurn 2.5.7.0 - write speed 8x and all driver’s options off (solid-burn, wopc, etc). And before burning data I checked the disc in QSuite but only with speed 8x as I don’t think higher speeds would work with this old writer (I mean it’s too risky I guess).

EDIT:
No, I didn’t try to burn more than 4.5GB in my OP. In fact I never burn more than 4.1GB as most writers tend to have problems with burning DVDs at the last sectors.

It’s good, but not great.

SolidBurn might help, as might WOPC. Or SolidBurn could result in a worse burn (WOPC shouldn’t hurt).

Well, the reason I turned off WOPC and Solid-Burn was a simple one - QSuite gave me bad results when doing Q-scans. I tried with 3 different speeds (16x, 12x, and 8x) and all failed. Once I disabled those options, Q-scans improved (at least with speed 8x as I didn’t check others).

And as for that quality test - I didn’t expect it to be a great one as this writer is almost 8 years old. Actually, I’m happy that finally I managed to burn my data and the DVD is readable now. I just hope it will stay that way for a few years.

QSuite’s Q-scans don’t rely on either SolidBurn or WOPC [the Q-Scan is just Tracking Error and Focus Error tests, possibly with some other data not disclosed; essentially, the drive is scanning/reading the physical characteristics of a blank disc]. Enabling/disabling them on a simulated write such as the Q-scan should have no effect.

However, the important thing is you have usable burns. :slight_smile: