My dvd writer just stopped workin

hi there …i have a toshiba …with a matshita dvd ram. it was workin fine till today but suddenly it started giving out this error message.
Write error
D: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-841S

and earlier it was saying power calibration error…now it has stopped thatand started saying write error…please help me out i have no clue about this

Welcome to the forums,

Please describe the technical details of your computer and operating system and what program(s) you use to write discs. (My best guess would be Nero Burning Rom) What kind of discs and formats are you trying to write anyway?

The power calibration error can mean a lot of different things, but usually there’s something going wrong with the writing process on the disc. Rebooting, restarting, reinstalling the hardware, reinstalling the software can be of help but the try some different media first. Use rewritable media to save money on failing discs.

hi Mr.Belvedere,thank you for replyin to my quey.

I have a toshiba satellite series S4284 model.
1.60ghz,100gb hard disk,intelcore2duo processor.
The operating systen is windows xp media center 2 .
I use nero burning rom 7, and there is a pre loaded software called sonic.

I was trying to burn avi format files to a new moser baer DVD+R 4.7gb/16x .(as a data dvd). i used nero initially and when it gave the power calibration error , i used sonic…which said i have to wipe the disc clean of dirt or use a new disc.

Later i tried to burn an old dvd of mine and it worked.
Then i tried to burn the new ones again it said write error.I then tried to burn new cds(moser baer pro 52x,recordable 700mb) instead of dvds ,nero gives the error message as write error, while sonic says its because of grease or dirt on the disc.

Its been 6 months since i 've been using this notebook and this software ,had no problems till yesterday.

What do i do next?

Since the drive is working with your older dvds, I’d say the new Moser Baer disks are not well supported by the firmware of your drive. You can try updating the firmware by going to Toshiba’s site and seeing if they actually have newer firmware for that dvd drive.

Or you can use more compatible media. What were you using before? I don’t know where you are located, but you should try Verbatim (made in Taiwan, not India) or go online to buy Taiyo Yuden disks.

The failure to burn the cds bothers me though. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on that.

hi Mr.Belvedere,thank you for replyin to my quey.

I have a toshiba satellite series S4284 model.
1.60ghz,100gb hard disk,intelcore2duo processor.
The operating systen is windows xp media center 2 .
I use nero burning rom 7, and there is a pre loaded software called sonic.

I was trying to burn avi format files to a new moser baer DVD+R 4.7gb/16x .(as a data dvd). i used nero initially and when it gave the power calibration error , i used sonic…which said i have to wipe the disc clean of dirt or use a new disc.

Later i tried to burn an old dvd of mine and it worked.
Then i tried to burn the new ones again it said write error.I then tried to burn new cds(moser baer pro 52x,recordable 700mb) instead of dvds ,nero gives the error message as write error, while sonic says its because of grease or dirt on the disc.

Its been 6 months since i 've been using this notebook and this software ,had no problems till yesterday.

What do i do next?

Use better media, means Verbatim or TY.

Hmm, ever feel like you’ve been put on someone’s ignore list. And this guy’s only got 4 posts on the forum.

hey kerry thanx for the advice…i’m based inindia so i dont think i can get verbatim here…i previously used moser baer dvd r,the new ones are rw moser baer dvd+r …but still i’m not able to burn cds.

Restore you systems windows registry to few weeks back reboot and try the drive if still not working that mean he/she asking for retirement and it is time for replacement.

hey thanx for the advice …i tried restoring my system like u said ,but it says cannot restore system to earlier date…is there another problem?

Your drive did you try to use it in another system to see if it works? The restore not being there could be a problem with the O/S not properly saving restore date correctly. But what O/S are you currently using and it’s hardware configuration? Does the BIOS still recognize the DVD itself on bootup or detect it. Also is our O/S update to on windows update? Hopefully you don’t have windows ME as I used to have it but it gave me more headache cause of the Blue screen of death.

try deleting the ide controller that holds the drive and then restart

Look like you have unmarked the box of restoring your system every day.

hey guys thanx for the help,this might sound really dumb but i dunno what an ide controller is…and today i used a previously used cd (one which my writer had discarded after burning for 15 sec)to burn an avi file into data cd using sonic and it worked,then i copied three more files into the cd…,then i used a new disc and laded the data to capacity it dint work.
i also used nero to burn a tdk dvd …it burnt 80percent of the data and then gaveerror message…the details from the log are :

//several Nero serials edited out//

Windows XP 5.1
IA32
WinAspi: -
ahead WinASPI: File ‘C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Core\Wnaspi32.dll’: Ver=2.0.1.74, size=164112 bytes, created 11/2/2004 1:54:32 PM

NT-SPTI used
Nero Version: 7.2.0.3
Internal Version: 7, 2, 0, 3

Recorder: <MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-841S>Version: 1.60 - HA 1 TA 0 - 7.2.0.3
Adapter driver: <IDE> HA 1
Drive buffer : 2048kB
Bus Type : default (0) -> ATAPI, detected: ?
CD-ROM: <MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-841S >Version: 1.60 - HA 1 TA 0 - 7.2.0.3
Adapter driver: <IDE> HA 1

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
DiskPeripheral : TOSHIBA MK1032GSX atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-841S atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: Off
CdRomPeripheral : NERO IMAGEDRIVE2 2.26 imagedrv Port 2 ID 0 DMA: Off

=== CDRom-Device-Map ===
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-841S D: CDRom0
NERO IMAGEDRIVE2 F: CDRom1

AutoRun : 1
Excluded drive IDs:
WriteBufferSize: 83886080 (0) Byte
BUFE : 0
Physical memory : 1013MB (1038316kB)
Free physical memory: 447MB (458140kB)
Memory in use : 55 %
Uncached PFiles: 0x0
Use Inquiry : 1
Global Bus Type: default (0)
Check supported media : Disabled (0)

ISO compilation
7:21:21 PM #1 Text 0 File Isodoc.cpp, Line 6424
Iso document burn settings
------------------------------------------
Determine maximum speed : FALSE
Simulate : FALSE
Write : TRUE
Finalize CD : TRUE
Multisession : FALSE
Burning mode : DAO
Mode : 1
ISO Level : 1 (Max. of 11 = 8 + 3 char)
Character set : ISO 9660
Joliet : TRUE
Allow pathdepth more than 8 directories : TRUE
Allow more than 255 characters in path : TRUE
Write ISO9660 ;1 file extensions : TRUE

7:21:22 PM #2 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 531
ReadBuffer-Pipe got 262144KB of Memory

7:21:22 PM #3 Text 0 File Reader.cpp, Line 124
Reader running

7:21:22 PM #4 Text 0 File Writer.cpp, Line 113
Writer D: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-841S running

7:21:22 PM #5 ISO9660GEN -11 File Geniso.cpp, Line 3312
First writeable address = 0 (0x00000000)

7:21:22 PM #6 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 3365
Turn on Disc-At-Once, using DVD media

7:21:23 PM #7 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 289
Last possible write address on media: 2298495 (510:46.45, 4489MB)
Last address to be written: 2121695 (471:29.20, 4143MB)

7:21:23 PM #8 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 301
Write in overburning mode: NO (enabled: CD)

7:21:23 PM #9 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 2715
Recorder: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-841S, Media type: DVD-R
Disc Manufacturer: TTG02 -
Disc Application Code: 64, Disc Physical Code: 193

7:21:23 PM #10 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 473
>>> Protocol of DlgWaitCD activities: <<<

Hi all,

I have burnt .avi file on moser baer DVD as Data DVD. But when i play the DVD on moser baer DVD player, it playes for 10 sec and then comes back to main menu. But when i try to play the same DVD on my pc (with windows mediaplayer 11) it works fine.

Also some of the .avi files get struck (picture), but the sound plays fine on my moser baer DVD player.

Is this the moser baer DVD player problem? Or the moser baer DVD on which i have burnt?

Can anyone help me out in this?

Novice000:

You might try actually cleaning the laser lens via cleaner disk or (if you are brave enough) actually disassmbling the dvd player and using a clean cotton swab and some 91% Isopropyl alcohol. If you choose to try this I also recommend greasing or the rails that the lens slides along. I had a similar problem once with discs (cd’s) of various variety failing at 86% completion every time. I had tried several different solutions to no avail until I cam across a post that suggested greasing the rails and since the drive wasn’t working anyway I felt I had nothing to lose and opened her up… I discovered that it was because of a cat hair stuck to the rail that prevented the lens from moving past that point uninterrpted. I cleaned the lens and the rails and then it worked perfectly. This was years ago, and the drive still works, but I’ve retired it for a dvd burner instead. If you are unsure about opening it up, I would only do that as a last resort.

To answer the IDE issue:

Go to the “start” menu and right click “my computer” and select “properties” and this will bring up the window with your system info and a tab that says “hardware.” Click the button for the “device manager” - Look for the item “IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers” here is where you can find info such as DMA or PIO mode settings or reinstall drivers for the controller. If you uninstall a driver, a restart of the system should bring up the hardware wizard to reinstall them.

Also, a can of compressed air might do the trick if dirt on the drive interior is the culprit.