My DVD writer is not reading Memorex DVD-Rs anymore?!

Hi,

I have this DVD writer - LG GSA-4167B for about 6 months now.
I’ve burned some 16x Memorex DVD-Rs with it containing some important data :frowning:
Suddenly the drive can’t read these Memorex disks - full and blank ones
All other DVD-R(W) medias are ok. All CDR(W)s are ok too.
When I put a Memorex disk in the drive the light starts blinking and there is this repeating clicky sound…until it stops …but it can’t really read the disk…

The problem just popped out.
No new hardware or software installed on the system.
I’ve tried updating firmware and making some IDE controller swaps and changes - not fixing it.

Any ideas what can cause such a thing? :confused:

Cheers

Memorex is cheapo media, no surprise they “get wasted” like Princo.

Try to read them out with another drive.

So what speed are you burning them at? Is the firmware the latest for the model unit? What software are you using to burn them? What are the file formats? Does it read other factory made media? Change your media types you use to see if that doesn’t fix the read and write problem. What kinda booktype settings are you using?

Thanks for the replies!

Memorex is cheapo media, no surprise they “get wasted” like Princo. Try to read them out with another drive.

I’ve just tried my Memorex DVD-Rs on another drive and they are reading ok.
It seems that the problem is in my drive and I will have to backup my data on better DVD-R media.

So what speed are you burning them at? Is the firmware the latest for the model unit? What software are you using to burn them? What are the file formats? Does it read other factory made media? Change your media types you use to see if that doesn’t fix the read and write problem. What kinda booktype settings are you using?

Basically I’m always burning at maximum speed for the media and using Nero 6’s default settings except the “relax iso restrictions” part.
The drive stopped to read/write only Memorex DVD-Rs. Everything else is ok!

I’ve asked a friend about this and he said this is very common:
“Lens looses focus and its possible that it won’t read certain media any more. Media with less density or something.”
(I don’t really understand all this not sure if its true)

Its kinda lame cause I have my old Lite-on CD-ROM (veteran) which still reads my 10 year old CDs and this LG lasted 6 months before malfunction…

Anyways I will eventually buy a new drive…
Shooting for a Plextor or a Lite-on drive :stuck_out_tongue:

I would aim at Pioneer if you burn a lot of DVD-R’s and at LG and Samsung for all the rest.
Latest Plextor’s are not -Plextor- anymore, mostly only rebadges.
And Lite-On’s, noisy like a 747.

Thanks,
I will check what options do I have at the local stores.
But I might wanna sqeeze the life out of this LG first :cool: