My DVD Writer (HL-DT-GT30N) always produces coasters

vbimport

Hi,

I’ve been having a strange problem lately. The tray-loading DVD Writer in my Acer 5542G notebook only seems to produce more and more coasters. Strangely enough, it seems to burn DVD-RWs and CD-RWs nicely but all DVD-Rs and even CD-Rs fail. It has no problem reading from DVD-ROMs or CD-ROMs. At first, I though it might have something to do with the low-quality media used but even after I switched to MoserBaer and Sony DVD-ROMs, nothing really changed.

It seems that the writer burns about 30% of the disc before it abruptly begins spinning down or something because the whirring sound it usually makes while burning slowly reduces and stops and then the disc pops out.

I have the log produced by Nero Burning ROM for the last burn session. Please check it out and let me know if you know anything about it.

P.S. The notebook is relatively new since it’s only been a year and 5 days after I purchased it.

Yo-

What brand media are you using?
What are you trying to write?
What speed are you trying to burn at on the DVD media? On the CD-R media?

Thank you for responding :slight_smile:

Earlier, I was using some cheap DVD-ROMs which weren’t branded. I got different names every time I went to get some more (mainly NATIONAL, RiData, etc). When I put the disc in the Lite-ON SHM-165H6S drive on my desktop and ran the Lite-ON SmartBurn utility, it would report the manufacturer as CMC something.

The newer DVDs that I’m using are manufactured by AMKETTE, Sony and MoserBaer.

And I tried burning the media at the maximum speed possible (8x for DVDs and 24x for CDs)

Hi,

from all the media you are listing, I’d rate the Sony stuff as being acceptable. You might lower the write speed and see if you get better results.

Michael

You wrote “DVD-ROM”.

What kind of media did you really use, DVD-R or DVD+R, SL or DL???

[QUOTE=chef;2573049]You wrote “DVD-ROM”.

What kind of media did you really use, DVD-R or DVD+R, SL or DL???[/QUOTE]

I use DVD-R and DVD-RW.
The DVD-Rs are Sony, MoserBaer, AMKETTE, NATIONAL, RiTek and some other sketchy brands.

The DVD-RW I use is manufactured by MoserBaer.
I also use a CD-RW manufactured by Sony.

The RWs work fine but I almost always end up wasting the ROMs (DVD or CD)

[QUOTE=mciahel;2572612]Hi,

from all the media you are listing, I’d rate the Sony stuff as being acceptable. You might lower the write speed and see if you get better results.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I’ll try that and report back. Thanks!

Just a note: DVD-ROM is a pressed DVD.

DVD-R and DVD+R are WORM media, burnable write once.

I’m very sorry. I just checked and found out that the DVDRW media I mentioned earlier was a +RW and not a -RW.

@chef: Thanks for pointing that out. I didn’t know that. :slight_smile:

I wouldnt use multisession mode on dvd media.
Just use RW, no need anymore for multisession. :wink:

And dont always burn at the fastest speed.