My dvd would not recognise that there was a disk in the drive

vbimport

I recently recovered my Acer Aspire 5920g to factory settings using my backup disks. Whilst doing windows updates I relised that my dvd would not recognise that there was a disk in the drive and i could not access it even though it the drive showed on the system. Im using windows vista 32 bit. Can anyone help. i have uninstalled the drive and rebooted and have also tried to update the driver with no sucess.

Welcome to the forums fpollock.

Look in my signature for a link that says Microsoft support for optical drives. Click on it, and follow the instructions at that site. Basically, you’ll be using one of the Microsoft Fix It tools.

If that doesn’t help, come back in and let us know.

[QUOTE=fpollock;2572901]I recently recovered my Acer Aspire 5920g to factory settings using my backup disks. Whilst doing windows updates I relised that my dvd would not recognise that there was a disk in the drive and i could not access it even though it the drive showed on the system. Im using windows vista 32 bit. Can anyone help. i have uninstalled the drive and rebooted and have also tried to update the driver with no sucess.[/QUOTE]

Any chance that you reinstalled Roxio Easy Creator 8 Suite (retail version) without first downloading the last update to your hard drive? Installation or reinstallation of the retail version of that software will disable optical drive recognition until the update is run from the hard drive.

More recent versions of Roxio Easy Creator Suite do not have that bug.