My DVD will not play on computers, only on TV's

vbimport

I have a DVD that works fine when I watch it on my TV. However, when I insert the disk into my computer’s DVD drive Windows doesn’t even recognize the disk.

To eliminate some obvious answers:

• I have checked the DVD region.
  • My computer’s DVD player is not broken, it plays other media just fine.
  • The DVD type is DVD 9, and I verified that my computer’s DVD player supports this medium.

One more important piece of information: the DVD is copy protected, but I don’t see why that would block me from merely watching the DVD. I mean, it’s not like I’m trying to copy it or anything.

Hi and Welcome!

copy protected video DVDs and audio CDs are always violating standards.
Seems as if your particular disc is messing around with your Windows installation. For these reasons, I strongly suggest to disable autorun/autoplay and to not use an account with administrative permissions.
Yes, some media disc is like a virus :frowning:

Michael

I think I’ve disabled autorun. Sometimes the disks will play, but other times the computer will keep scanning it like madness.

See it for yourself here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_private?v=iPHzKBTrcxA&sharing_token=FjdmiOdzc87Q_PUMOzy36Q

If this is copy protection, do you know by any chance which protection is used? Also, does the DVD manufacturer have the legal right to prevent people from watching their DVDs on their PC?

Hi,[QUOTE=djeesun;2478160]I think I’ve disabled autorun. Sometimes the disks will play, but other times the computer will keep scanning it like madness.[/quote]this might also be some reading problem. Perhaps carefully cleaning the drive will help also. But stay clear of those “cleaning discs”.

See it for yourself here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_private?v=iPHzKBTrcxA&sharing_token=FjdmiOdzc87Q_PUMOzy36Q
sorry, can’t access youtube from here…

If this is copy protection, do you know by any chance which protection is used? Also, does the DVD manufacturer have the legal right to prevent people from watching their DVDs on their PC?
For CD audio you might google for “Sony rootkit”. A german distributor published “Mr. & Mrs. Smith” with a “copy protection” that also behaved like malware. Later versions of that video came with a “how to circumvent the copy protection” printed on the cover :doh:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2478197]Hi,this might also be some reading problem. Perhaps carefully cleaning the drive will help also. But stay clear of those “cleaning discs”.[/QUOTE]
I’m pretty sure both the DVD and the DVD drive work. I’ve tested the DVD on my TV and it had no problems. I also tested my computer’s DVD drive with other discs, and I had no problems there.

The DVDs I’m trying to read on my computer (How I Met Your Mother seasons 1 to 3) are distributed by 20th Century Fox, the company that was also responsible for making Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Could it be that they use the same copy protection? Is there a way I can find out if copy protection has anything to do with it at all?

Sorry, I have no idea what they did with these discs. They might simply be of poor manufacturing quality, or they have some rogue copy protection or similar.

After haveing seen how the industry treats their customers (examples see above), I ignore them. (No, I don’t download their stuff either). So I am not able to tell you what’s wrong with your discs. Perhaps trying another drive, but I don’t think this is what you want.

Michael

I wrote to the online store where I bought the disks. That was three days ago and they said they’d get back to me in four (office) days. Which probably is like seven regular days in the holiday season, but I can wait.