My DVD-RW drive is acting up... (Optiarc AD-5540A)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-5540A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey, y’all. I’ve lurked on this forum and gotten good information in the past; thanks for being here. This situation prompted me to join: the Optiarc AD-5540A on my Dell M1210 laptop is acting bizarre. I’m using windows Vista Business. I put in a disc and opened up the ‘my computer’ explorer, clicked on the icon for the DVD-RW, and Vista acted like it was going to open it up, but never did. The ‘address bar’ at the top of the explorer window starts filling up with green to indicate how much of the task is completed, but it stops when it’s almost full and never goes anywhere. I rebooted the machine, and it worked fine, but when I took the disc out and put it back in to see what would happen, it started giving me the same problem.

According to Vista, my driver is up to date. I thought about flashing firmware, but I’m not sure if that would fix anything or not, and I’m actually not sure what firmware to use, or how to flash it.

Anyhow, I figure I can’t be the only person having this problem, so any help or insight will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Before doing anything ,verify operation with another disc.

I’m having exactly the same problem, same drive & Dell M1210, but it only started when I upgraded from XP to Vista. I’m guessing it’s some kind of driver / compatibility problem, but I’ve had no luck finding a newer driver.