MY DVD+Rs will NOT finalize after recording streaming media through component input

vbimport

I have a sony stand alone streaming media player because it has Componet outputs,my magnovox DVD recorder has Componet inputs,the DVD recording I made in real time can NOT be finalized in everyway Ive tried, other recorders will NOT finalize them either, they play great , just will not finalize, no compter used here. Any knowledge or experience on this issue. Thanks Mike

• Media not 100% compatible with DVD recorder
    -> try different brands
  • If that doesn’t help, DVD recorder lens dirty or on it’s way out
    -> try cleaning
  • If that doesn’t help, time to buy a new DVD recorder
    -> Or rip the unfinalized disc to a computer and reburn.

Have you used a software like Nero CD-DVD Speed to verify if the disc is still “Open” ?
Your DVD recorder may have auto finalized it .

Your Magnanox’s menu system - where all of these settings will be - is probably not using “Finalize” as its “Close/End Session” verbage. It might use a phrase like “Auto-End” or “Auto-Close”. And because you’re using the PLUS R media (DVD+R), the Magnavox may conclude you want “Multi-Session ON=YES”. (This is the primary difference between MINUS R disks and PLUS R’s - the ability to have multiple recording sessions on a single disk.)

There are so many ways that these DVD Recorders can phrase this process, though.

And ultimately, I’m hoping that this product WILL “finalize” a disk. But it sounds like you’ll need your Sherlock cap on to discover that setting!

And, I’m only half-joking here - it would be one method to ensure you couldn’t play a disk on any other player than that one unit, by the way. That “End Session / Close Session / Finalize” process is generally unique to each model and each player, so no other device can accomplish a Finalize Recording process.

What a sneaky thing to do.

[moved post to a somewhat more appropriate subforum from the Blank Media Testing subforum].

Thanks, no there is something in this video signal, cause it also will not finalize on a different recorder, and it will not play on DVD players,the streaming media play is a sony and sony is real bad about not allowing people to own there own recordings. Ever heard of or seen componet inputs on a DVD recorder? I had not. I found this about that feature. Benefits of Component Input on DVD Recorders

1. Ability to record directly from a Component source
  2. Some cable/satellite STB (boxes) output 16:9 content with black bars (letterboxing) via S-video. This is an issue if you want to record full-frame 16:9 without the black bars. Generally cable/satellite STBs can be configured to output 16:9 without letterboxing via the Component Output. Thus Component Input on a DVD recorder may allow you to record full-frame 16:9 without black bars. This is 16:9 Standard definition 480i, not high-def. For more details, please check with each DVD recorders manual/user-threads and each cable/satellite STB’s manual/forum. (All this is independent from the Widescreen flag which only affects how 16:9 content is displayed on a 4:3 TV).

Thanks for your ideas. Mike

I have recorded 100s of DVD+Rs and finalized them on this machine, so I know this machine very well, this problem causes for the first time ever the choice "finalize disc " NEVER appears on the screen, my Liteon DVD recorder tries to finalize the DVD but fails after many minutes. There is something different about this signal coming from this Sony media player SMP-N200 it says network media player. thanks for your ideas. Mike

[QUOTE=Mastus;2662596]- Media not 100% compatible with DVD recorder
-> try different brands

• If that doesn’t help, DVD recorder lens dirty or on it’s way out
    -> try cleaning
  • If that doesn’t help, time to buy a new DVD recorder
    -> Or rip the unfinalized disc to a computer and reburn.[/QUOTE]
    I do have Isobuster software but I’ve never been able to understand the instructions,I wonder if it can save a DVD that’s not finalized. thanks for the ideas

[QUOTE=mikethomas1954;2662761]I have recorded 100s of DVD+Rs and finalized them on this machine, so I know this machine very well, this problem causes for the first time ever the choice "finalize disc " NEVER appears on the screen, my Liteon DVD recorder tries to finalize the DVD but fails after many minutes. There is something different about this signal coming from this Sony media player SMP-N200 it says network media player. thanks for your ideas. Mike[/QUOTE]

You never thought about the idea that an device/drive can or will wear out??

[QUOTE=mikethomas1954;2662763]I do have Isobuster software but I’ve never been able to understand the instructions,I wonder if it can save a DVD that’s not finalized. thanks for the ideas[/QUOTE]
I’m not sure but I think IsoBuster will extract an unfinalized DVD.
I only have the pro version & it’s been a while since I had the free one.

Once the DVD is loaded in your computer drive .
Open IsoBuster & select DVD +R .
Right click it & the widow below should come up.

This will create an .iso file of the DVD.
You can burn it direct to a DVD with ImgBurn & this should be a closed or finalized DVD.
If you have the pro version you can extract the VIDEO_TS folder but I don’t think the freeware version will do this.
You can also mount the .iso in a virtual drive like VirtualCloneDrive & work with it from there. & burn it with other software than ImgBurn
although I don’t know why you would want to.