My DVD Rom reads the burned CDs very slowly

vbimport

My burner reads them fast enough (30-40x), but my DVD usually reads them at about 4 to 10x. this is SO SLOW!!! :frowning: My burner is a lite-on 48x24x48 and my dvdrom is Acer 16x. Why is it so slow? It can read any other CD at a normal speed. Is this normal?

i’m not sure about the exact specifications of ur dvd-rom drive, but many drives read burned cds at slower speeds than their max capable speed.

Did you turn the DMA on? Just a thought.

he said the drive “can read any other CD at a normal speed” so i don’t think it’s a dma problem.

The easy answer is that the burned CDR’s are full of errors, or that the DVD-ROM is just a crappy reader. I would use the DVD to run the transfer rate test in CDSpeed and see what happens with the CDR. Of course scanning the CDR for errors would also answer that question. (use the RW drive for scanning) DVD-ROM drives, particularly the older models, are noted for poor reading skills.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
The easy answer is that the burned CDR’s are full of errors, or that the DVD-ROM is just a crappy reader. I would use the DVD to run the transfer rate test in CDSpeed and see what happens with the CDR. Of course scanning the CDR for errors would also answer that question. (use the RW drive for scanning) DVD-ROM drives, particularly the older models, are noted for poor reading skills.
well I ran CD Speed, Quality Test, on most of my burned CDs and they dont have any errors (I used the DVD Rom for the test. does it matter?)

The DVD drive will not report errors correctly, if at all, use the RW drive for checking errors. Assuming there are no errors, run the transfer rate test with the DVD drive and see what it says.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
The DVD drive will not report errors correctly, if at all, use the RW drive for checking errors. Assuming there are no errors, run the transfer rate test with the DVD drive and see what it says.
hmm yeah some of them have errors, but they are readable (yellow lines). Umm I guess I’ll just use my burner to read these CDs.
One question though: about 1/4 of these CDs have some errors at the end of the CD. I didnt overburn them, why is it that they have errors at the end?:confused:

The end is where the speed reached the highest, hence the errors. You need to slow your burn speed. Even though they are correctable errors, they are not a good sign. That’s why the DVD is so slow. Lower your burn speed until you see no C2 errors. It’s even better to use KProbe or CDDoctor to check C1 error levels, and you can “tune in” your burn speed even better. I’ll bet your DVD will read them faster if they have lower error rates. Also, you need to feed that burner some TY (Fuji) media to get the best from it at 48x.
Consult the media FAQ for testing info.

can you tell me where to get kprobe or cddoctor?
I’ll take a look at media faq… hopefuly I wont have problems with fuji.

edit: nm, they’re both in the faq:D heh

hmm I FED this dear burner of mine some Fuji media… works well with my burner. doesnt work AT ALL with my DVD rom :frowning: