My DVD player wont play a DVD-R

vbimport

I’m hoping somebody will be able to help me.

I’ve just received a copied DVD (DVD -R) which will not play in my DVD player (Magnavox DVD65 ) - a cheapie I know! The DVD -R was burned in a different region but the player has had no problems playing DVDs from any region in the past.

Is this due to the player and if so what type of DVD player would I need to be sure that it will play this type of burned DVD in the future?

I’ve also put the DVD into my PC but my PC doesn’t recognise the DVD either.

What region is the disc :confused:
And what region are you in :confused:

Thanks for the reply StormJumper

The DVD was copied in Ireland and I’m in Australia (sorry don’t know the region numbers).

You are region 4 and your PC CD and DVD drives are also set to your region that is why the PC can not recognize the disc and most likely the dvd player is the same way.I think ireland is region 3 but not sure ireland could be 5

Try the trial of AnyDVD on the PC & see what that says. It’ll automatically overcome the problem of you being Region 4 and the DVD being region 2.

It’s highly likely that there’s a problem with the DVD and if using AnyDVD doesn’t help then I think that’s it.

Ireland is region 2

REGION 1 – USA, Canada
REGION 2 – Japan, [B]Europe[/B], South Africa, Middle East, Greenland
REGION 3 – S.Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Parts of South East Asia
REGION 4 – Australia, New Zealand, Latin America (including Mexico)
REGION 5 – Eastern Europe, Russia, India, Africa
REGION 6 – China
REGION 7 – Reserved for Unspecified Special Use
REGION 8 – Resevered for Cruise Ships, Airlines, etc…
REGION 0 or REGION ALL – Discs are uncoded and can be played Worldwide, however, PAL discs must be played in a PAL-compatible unit and NTSC discs must be played in an NTSC-compatible unit.

Thanks everyone for their help.

I’ve dowloaded AnyDVD and it doesn’t recognise the DVD either.

I’ve had a quick look at the DVD and it states on the cover that the DVD is designed for use solely in DVD-R/RW readers and recorders which correspond to the new DVD-R specifications for 8x writing speed. Whatever that means!

BTW Any DVD says that the drive on my PC is a NEC DVD+RW

does it give you the model number

open anydvd and look onder “drives > selection”

EDIT;, what am i thinking, if it’s a pressed dvd (bought) it will be recognised as a DVD-ROM

BjProc the Model number is:

_NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD 1.26 04021800MY4564160N

your drive will only burn to +R disc’s, but it will read both formats [U]+[/U]

have you rebooted your PC?

can you not play your dvd? maybe it’s a bad burn, just a guess.

as the disc has been copied, i’m sure it will be region free

might be a long shot but its worth trying a firmware update

That is why I said NOT SURE, thanks for the info

Start up Anydvd, then start up Nero CD-DVD speed to check if the dvd is actually recognized by your computer. If not, try another computer.

Ireland is a part of Europe? Blimey! :slight_smile: