My DVD-player died completely!

So… I have an Acer TravelMate 4072WLMi with a LiteOn (i guess?) dvd-burner. It’s supposed to handle all kinds of media and after having no trouble with dvd+rw for a while i wanted to try “the original” dvd-rw. Verbatim 6x that is. Couldn’t burn it at either 6x, 4x, or 2x without the PC and burner getting completely locked (but I could move the mouse etc…)

Anyway, after having to reboot the PC manually to be able to try all the different speeds I then tried to use a Memorex dvd+rw at 2,4x. It seemed to work just fine, and it completed just like all other disks I burn. When I wanted to test if it would run on the computer it said “EMPTY DISK” and I saw the regular choices of what I’d like to do with the “empty” disk.

…Soooooo, I tried to play the film on my Denon DVD-1400, but it started to make very weird mechanical noises (clonking) and then it died. The weirdest thing is that I can’t seem to start it again! It has been a completely flawless DVD player for some years now. How could it just completely die after inserting a faulty dvd+rw? :eek:

Thank you for your time…

[QUOTE=t0dy;1920917]So… I have an Acer TravelMate 4072WLMi with a LiteOn (i guess?) dvd-burner. It’s supposed to handle all kinds of media and after having no trouble with dvd+rw for a while i wanted to try “the original” dvd-rw. Verbatim 6x that is. Couldn’t burn it at either 6x, 4x, or 2x without the PC and burner getting completely locked (but I could move the mouse etc…)

Anyway, after having to reboot the PC manually to be able to try all the different speeds I then tried to use a Memorex dvd+rw at 2,4x. It seemed to work just fine, and it completed just like all other disks I burn. When I wanted to test if it would run on the computer it said “EMPTY DISK” and I saw the regular choices of what I’d like to do with the “empty” disk.

…Soooooo, I tried to play the film on my Denon DVD-1400, but it started to make very weird mechanical noises (clonking) and then it died. The weirdest thing is that I can’t seem to start it again! It has been a completely flawless DVD player for some years now. How could it just completely die after inserting a faulty dvd+rw? :eek:

Thank you for your time…[/QUOTE]

Have you taken out the drive itself? Also how did you know it was a faulty dvd+rw media? How old is the laptop? Also could be time for new drive to replace that drive if it is past it’s lifetime usage…or just needs to be replaced…

Is that your question?

My first guess would be that it was pretty old & on it’s way out anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Second guess would be that the media is unsupported & the optical lens moved too close to the media & made contact with the disc.
Pioneer had issues with one series of it’s burners a long time ago where inserting a DVD+R (I think), would damage the drive.

DVD-R media came to market before DVD+R, but DVD+RW was popular on the market before DVD-RW.

Advice … your Laptops DVDRW drive most likely doesn’t support it (or at least that media ID). Don’t use that brand & media type combination again.

And older DVD players had trouble with burnt media -> Use bitsetting (fools the player into thinking it’s a pressed DVD).

Ok, so they may be quite old, but I still dont understand how the DENON DVD-1400 could just crash like that. Thanks for the answers!