My dvd drive and cd drive stopped working at the same time

Hi,
My dvd drive and cd drive stopped working immediately at the same time.
I was being helped by “FreaksToGo” website. They cleared up a lot of viruses over a 2 week period. When I went to burn some cd’ and dvd’s I got error messages and there’s a question mark Icon on these drives when I go to “start” “computer” and list my drives. Can anyone suggest anything? John Felix.

Hi John

I don’t know what OS you’re using or how your rig is set up, but my first guess would be to simply uninstall both ODDs in device manager and reboot.
Assuming XP or Vista, windows will reinstall the devices and assign appropriate drivers

I was being helped by “FreaksToGo” website. They cleared up a lot of viruses over a 2 week period.

I’ve seen the extensive lengths and the boatload of apps various malware gurus go through to clear infections. Seems it’s become a bit of a sport. Unfortunately something else tends to break somewhere down the line.

maineman’s advice is sound, you can also try this script:

http://dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

jf3030
Please don’t post the same question in different threads. It is called crossposting and is against forum rules. I am going to close the other thread here in the Newbie forum.

Your signature was very much against forum rules and has been removed. It very nearly got you banned.

You need to review the rules of the forum before posting again.

I apologize for my mistake. Thanks for not banning me.
I will stay with this thread to get some help. Please guide me and keep me alert if I do something against the rules. I will take time to read the rules again. Thanks. John:bow:

Could you guide me to where I can post this message… This is my first time at this forum.

P.S. I’m still having problems with my system.
My e: was a cd burner
My f: was a dvd burner
both now are just plain readers they won’t burn anything.
There is now a new drive call G: labled DVD Drive
But there is no device attached to the machine for this G: drive.
If I click on it … it will tell me to insert a dvd into the slot but there is
no place to do that. How can I repair this. I already tried the:

xp_CD-DVD-Fix… this did not repair it. John Felix.:disagree:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 should help.

Michael