My drive will only read DVD´s

vbimport

Hi all, I hope you can gimme a hand… I have this SOSW852S and it was working wonders, until, while burning a music cd at a 20X speed, it started spinning and stopping, spinning and stopping. I then aborted the burning process manually, as I saw no progress going on.

Since then, ANY type of cd´s will not be read or recognized… it will only read DVD´s without a single problem. If you insert a cd, it´ll spin and stop, spin and stop untill after a while, it´ll just sit there.

My system is winXP, my puter is a TravelMate 4002WLMi with a 1.6 GB Pentium M processor. My FW is PRS07… with is the original one. I have flashed a few times but always worked fine.

Waiting for your opinions…

Wily

Sorry mods… just realized I didn´t post into the " big liteon sosw852s" thread. Plz move my post if necessary… my apologies…

Willy

It is ok post this problem in a separate thread. If your drive worked fine and could detect pressed cd-rom and burned cd-r before, could detect the empty cd-r before burning and can not detect any type of cd now, it probably killed the cd laser during the last cd burn.
You could try to boot from a bootable cd to exclude any windows config changes, but it looks like you have to return the drive.

I see ala42… I have lately tried another dvd, and now, it will read nothing… it just spins up and down (or it tries to) and then, it remains at a stop blinking twice (the drive light)and 3 or 4 secs unlit, then again two blinks and unlit.

Is it normal fo the laser to fail being a new equipment? I bought it one moth ago, so it´s stilll under warranty… the problem is that I flashed the drive twice or three times… can that be detected if the laser is burned out?

Thnxs again for your help…

Willy

Edited:
Tried also to start from a bootable cd (WinXP) and it also failed, it tried to start and when it failed, it went onto normal HD boot…

Even if the laser fails, the firmware can still be detected because the drive otherwise is perfectly fine. it is not normal for the laser to fail with the drive being a month old. as suggested before, you will probably have to return the drive.

Viper, the firmware is detected correctly, I´ve even been able to change it in case it had been corrupted, it updated and everything went fine… but stll no reaction from the drive.

It is seen by the system but will not read anything, so as you all say, I´ll asume the laser is gone and I´ll start the return-for-warranty-repair proceedure… that is between two and three months without my portable… maybe they´ll take out te drive and I can keep the machine… we´ll see…

Thnxs all again

Willy