My DMR-ES15 died

vbimport

My 2 year old DMR-ES15 died after heavy use. I tried cleaning the lens and spindle no joy and at the end the door would not open. :a

I replaced it with a DMR-EZ27

Some observations:

Plus for the EZ27:

Plays DivX (CD-R and DVD-R only) :slight_smile:
Also like the menu for the files, but not lack of sequence play.
Remote can control my Apex TV :clap:
Improved Recording using DVD DL media :slight_smile:
HDMI and SD reader :clap:
Digital tuner :clap:
Larger EZ to read display

Minus for the EZ27:

Stop and FF buttons missing on front panel
Came in black not silver
No free DVD-RAM disc :sad:
My ES15 remore will not work with it :sad:

All in all the EZ27 was a good replacement and the price was only a little more.

Did the DMR-ES15 door open in normal operation before you did the hub/spindle cleaning? Before you refitted the drive lid did you make sure that the white nylon roller on the black plastic slider mechanism at the rear of the disc tray was repositioned to the left corner in order to correctly align with the white nylon guide rail on the underside of the drive lid?

I have DMR-ES35, DMR-ES15, DMR-ES30V, DMR-ES40V and DMR-EZ17 models from 2005, 2006 and 2007. All the remotes will work with any of these machines, providing that the control codes are set correctly. Of course, these remotes have some minor variations, the 2005 and 2006 models don’t have the “-” for digital subchannels (but there are other ways to access subchannels); the ES15 and EZ17 remotes don’t have the “drive select” button for that or sd card selection; and the EZ17 remotes don’t have the “add/delete” channel button. Otherwise the remotes are entirely compatible.

[QUOTE=DigaDo;2095539]Did the DMR-ES15 door open in normal operation before you did the hub/spindle cleaning? Before you refitted the drive lid did you make sure that the white nylon roller on the black plastic slider mechanism at the rear of the disc tray was repositioned to the left corner in order to correctly align with the white nylon guide rail on the underside of the drive lid?

I have DMR-ES35, DMR-ES15, DMR-ES30V, DMR-ES40V and DMR-EZ17 models from 2005, 2006 and 2007. All the remotes will work with any of these machines, providing that the control codes are set correctly. Of course, these remotes have some minor variations, the 2005 and 2006 models don’t have the “-” for digital subchannels (but there are other ways to access subchannels); the ES15 and EZ17 remotes don’t have the “drive select” button for that or sd card selection; and the EZ17 remotes don’t have the “add/delete” channel button. Otherwise the remotes are entirely compatible.[/QUOTE]

Thanks the roller is in correct position but the cog wheel under the tray does not engage the spoked slider and just spins then a error message.

I did get the remote reset so it will work ok, But the EZ27 TV codes do not work with the ES15 remote but do work with the ES25 remote. :eek:

New problem with the EZ27 is the unit locks up after using a SD card and I must unplug the unit to regain normal operations.

Good luck CCROMEO, I think you’ll need it:doh:
By that I mean, at least in my case, the ES series machines including the ES-15 which I have several seem to be much more stable than the EZ machines, especially the EZ-x7 machines.
I truly wish you the best of luck but I’m afraid that you should have easy access to the power cord on that unit:bigsmile: I think that the lockups with the SD card are just the beginning with that unit, but I hope I’m wrong.

This might address the problem with the DMR-ES15 tray:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14328899#post14328899

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;2095371]Minus for the EZ27:

Stop and FF buttons missing on front panel
Came in black not silver
No free DVD-RAM disc :sad:
My ES15 remore will not work with it :sad:[/QUOTE]

In addition to the above minuses:

1. The Panasonic DVD recorders can record in ‘anamorphic’ widescreen (16:9) format only on CPRM-supporting DVD-RAM media. If you record widescreen material from the digital tuner onto more common DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW media, you’re stuck in a ‘squeezed’ 4:3 mode, with no way at all whatsoever to change that. Thus, if many of your programs from OTA digital broadcasts are ‘widescreen’, and you won’t (or can’t) use DVD-RAM media for whatever reason, there are better choices than the Pannys (for example, a Sony unit with a built-in digital tuner can record in anamorphic widescreen format on regular DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW/-R DL/+R DL at the higher quality recording settings, such as HQ and SP).

2. Using DL media on the Pannys is very inconvenient: These consumer Pannys cannot record continuously from the first layer to the second layer! The first layer MUST be closed manually before the second layer can be recorded on. Other brands of standalone DVD recorders may be capable of continuous recording from one layer to the next.

On your point 2, this years EX-x8 series fixed that annoyance.
On your point 1, those discs(RWs or Rs) will playback just fine on a 16:9 TV. I do it all the time but your correct, on a 4:3 TV they will never look right. In that case it’s best to have the DVDR setup for 4:3 which will then record in the correct aspect ratio for a 4:3 TV. I do agree it would be nicer if the machine set the bit though, for discs other than RAM that is.

[QUOTE=jjeff;2142853]On your point 2, this years EX-x8 series fixed that annoyance.
On your point 1, those discs(RWs or Rs) will playback just fine on a 16:9 TV. I do it all the time but your correct, on a 4:3 TV they will never look right. In that case it’s best to have the DVDR setup for 4:3 which will then record in the correct aspect ratio for a 4:3 TV. I do agree it would be nicer if the machine set the bit though, for discs other than RAM that is.[/QUOTE]

True, except that the Pannys always squeeze into the 4:3 format when recording 16:9 material. And there is no way at all whatsoever to override that and record in a cropped or a letterboxed format. And if a 4:3 program gets shown on a 16:9 channel, it gets the very same treatment as any 16:9 material. Thus, the only way to record NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, etc. material in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio would be to switch the tuner to analog mode and record off-the-air from analog (which is scheduled to be shut down in February 2009) or record off of a digital converter box connected to the line-in.

By the way, the DMR-EZx8 series is now limited to only two distinct models (the DMR-EZ48(5)V and the DMR-EZ28). The previous DMR-EZ37V and DMR-EZ17 have been replaced by the new DMR-EAx8 series units (DMR-EA38V and DMR-EA18), which have no built-in tuner at all. And both of those latter two models are not so good of a bargain right now because they’re expensive for tunerless DVD recorders.

[quote=RJL65;2142859] Thus, the only way to record NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, etc. material in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio would be to switch the tuner to analog mode and record off-the-air from analog (which is scheduled to be shut down in February 2009) or record off of a digital converter box connected to the line-in.
[/quote]
If you have selected 4:3 as your TV type the EZ models will record the 16:9 material by cropping off the sides(I think, it’s been a while since I’ve had a EZ). Then when you play those back on a 4:3 TV they will look correct except they will be missing the sides. I don’t think they letterboxed the 16:9, I think they cropped them when set to 4:3, which not only effects the playback but also how the immage is recorded from the tuner.

[QUOTE=jjeff;2143030]If you have selected 4:3 as your TV type the EZ models will record the 16:9 material by cropping off the sides(I think, it’s been a while since I’ve had a EZ). Then when you play those back on a 4:3 TV they will look correct except they will be missing the sides. I don’t think they letterboxed the 16:9, I think they cropped them when set to 4:3, which not only effects the playback but also how the immage is recorded from the tuner.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I’ve just checked the DMR-EZ#8 series manual. When 4:3 is selected as the TV type, 16:9 broadcasts will always be recorded in a letterboxed 4:3 format (this applies to even 4:3 material broadcasting on a 16:9 channel, which will have big black borders on all four sides) regardless of the media used. What I said before assumes that 16:9 is selected as the TV type.

My DMR-ES15 is giving recording problems. Had Maxell +RW disc w/ 6 30 minute episodes (recording in LP), stop while recording 7th episode and say need to format, like it was an unformatted disc. Episode 1-6 plays on another panasonic, but stops when trying to play 7. No menu either. This is a new disc from batch I have used previously. Other discs that are partially recorded, can’t record on them. Also, can’t finalize whatever is on it, does not come up on the menu. Unit is slowly dying. Kind of pissed, haven’t really used it much for recording or playing. This unit replaced another Made in China piece of crap Insignia player.

I have three functional DMR-ES15 models. These have proven to be reliable workhorses. One of my ES15 models has more than 3,000 recording hours.

Panasonics, even 2006 models like the ES15, are generally less friendly toward “+” media than “-” media. The DVD Forum, an association of manufacturers, first recognized the “+” format on 25 January 2008.

You may need to clean the DVD drive’s rubber hub:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/where-can-i-find-dmr-es25-replacement-drive-255277/#post2148477

Thing is, I really haven’t used it much. Maybe 50-75 total recordings tops. These discs worked fine when I got the unit. I will use -R media, I have burned some Taiyos on it, but not recently. I did upload the latest firmware, unplugged 30 minutes.

I’ll try the hub cleaning and re-seating cables, that worked one time on a toshiba dvd player.

If by “reseating cables” you mean the ribbon cables to the Digital PCB, found next to the DVD drive on an ES15, be sure to exercise caution with that procedure. The Digital PCB ribbon cable connector contacts sometimes drift forward damaging ribbon cable contacts. If that happens the connector contacts sometimes may be pressed back into place and the ribbon cable contact strip may have to be trimmed back to repair the contact area. My advice, do not unnecessarily disturb ribbon cables to or from the Digital PCB.

Dust, debris, and oily residue seems to adhere to the rubber spindle even without much use. I have a 2005 DMR-ES40 combo recorder, a model that spent the better part of two years in its original box in a closet due to its many bugs and design flaws. This machine has only around 355 recording hours since purchased new (in 12/05). I recently opened that machine’s DVD drive for the first time. That DVD drive’s rubber hub was very dirty. I cleaned the rubber hub and put the machine back in its box.

I usually swap my Panasonics in and out of service for hub cleaning at eight to ten month intervals, more often for machines in heavy use. Six of my functional Panasonics have between 3,000 and 4,300 recording hours per machine.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/your-opinion-panasonic-dvd-recorders-255466/#post2156022

I wasn’t expecting to find anything on the hub, but it did have a bit of particles on it, now clean. Also cleaned lens (never a problem in my experience with many cd and dvd players). I’ve upgraded firmware. Will see how things work out.

Seems to be working fine now.