My dilema - LG WH10LS30K or Lite-On iHBS112

vbimport

I am deciding on buying a Blu-ray burner but cannot decide between the two. The LG seems to be the more stable one with no compatibility issues (LTH) and it is cheaper, but I would prefer the scanning functionality of a Lite-On. I realize that the LG probably does not do burn quality scanning so if I get the LG and I backup important data, how would I know if they can be read back later or the quality of the burn? Just by doing a transfer rate test?

[QUOTE=Thrasher;2539747]I am deciding on buying a Blu-ray burner but cannot decide between the two. The LG seems to be the more stable one with no compatibility issues (LTH) and it is cheaper, but I would prefer the scanning functionality of a Lite-On. I realize that the LG probably does not do burn quality scanning so if I get the LG and I backup important data, how would I know if they can be read back later or the quality of the burn? Just by doing a transfer rate test?[/QUOTE]
The LG can also be used with the scandisc function of CdSpeed. Between that, a TRT, and set-top playback you are likely to be able to catch a poor media choice. From what I have seen of the 112, I believe I might prefer to buy the LG for burning and watch for a good sale price on a Samsung SH-BO83L if you feel you would like a Lite-on style scanner for BD-R. Often see them for less than $60.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by set-top playback? Like a standalone Blu-ray video player? That will not be and option as I will burn mostly data…

The iHBS112 is a good drive but it needs some more firmware updates, so if i had to chose now one drive, i probably be getting the LG over the liteon.
Also for the moment no one can be sure one the disc quality results of any Blu-Ray drive.

[QUOTE=Thrasher;2539754]Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by set-top playback? Like a standalone Blu-ray video player? That will not be and option as I will burn mostly data…[/QUOTE]
You’re welcome. If you are protecting data, using your burning program’s verify function is likely the most important quality scan you will need. As Vroom wisely pointed out, we don’t know yet how well CdSpeed quality scans will correlate to longevity or data security. We’re in new territory here. If you choose the LG, do look into speedpatching the firmware with MCSE to take advantage of it’s 10X read capabilities. Very nice to help speed up the read/verify, TRT, and or Scandisc process and make it much more tolerable. Zips through a BD-R SL in 12 minutes.

Thanks for the advice again. I chose to go with the LG and save myself 20 bux. I am eager to burn my very first BD-R :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Thrasher;2539867]Thanks for the advice again. I chose to go with the LG and save myself 20 bux. I am eager to burn my very first BD-R :)[/QUOTE]

Excellent :clap:

Welcome to the club. I hope your experience with the LG is as smooth as mine. :slight_smile:

Good advice/choice. Lg is great. Never had any problems with mine.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2539792]You’re welcome. If you are protecting data, using your burning program’s verify function is likely the most important quality scan you will need. As Vroom wisely pointed out, we don’t know yet how well CdSpeed quality scans will correlate to longevity or data security. We’re in new territory here. If you choose the LG, do look into speedpatching the firmware with MCSE to take advantage of it’s 10X read capabilities. Very nice to help speed up the read/verify, TRT, and or Scandisc process and make it much more tolerable. Zips through a BD-R SL in 12 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I get 10x read speed on BD-R even without speedpatching.

LG hands down, i never had a lite-on drive that I was happy with.