MY DH-20A4P may be dead after FW update (Lite-On DH-20A4P)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DH-20A4P. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Help Please

I just recently bought the above DVD burner, I am using it via a usb caddy,

Windows wasnt reconizing it as a DVD burner only a Cd burner,

I tried updating firmware to 9P59 now it does nothing,

When I use Flash Utility or The 9P59.exe file,

I just get error msg saying, “Unable to Flash ‘Contact Vendor’”

It’s current firmware is OP5A

Any help would be great, or is it toast

Thank

Pete:D

Hi, try connecting the drive on an IDE connection on your machine, and then flash. Some USB caddies doesn’t work very well.

I hope you mean you currently have 9P5A in there and O was just a typo. If so, then 9P5A is NEWER than 9P59, so official flasher won’t allowing an older firmware to be flashed.

0P5A is the “bootcode revision” as shown by MCSE [see screen shot below]. It is the firmware version displayed for a drive that is in “safe mode”, as far as I can tell.

I’d try to do what juancdg says; connect the drive internally instead of the USB enclosure to flash it, and it should work.

And as for your original problem: that is a quirk with Windows. Windows XP’s built in burning engine does not support writing to DVDs. You must use a standalone burning program.

Are you sure the firmware is “OP5A”? If it is 9P5A, it would be newer than 9P59.

Did you bother to read anyone else post? :rolleyes:

Thanks pps,

OP5A is proper name of firmware not a typo,

Im using a laptop, so cant connect via IDE cable, but will take drive to friends and try nd Flash it through IDE,

Thanks Again

[QUOTE=Albert;2142660]0P5A is the “bootcode revision” as shown by MCSE [see screen shot below]. It is the firmware version displayed for a drive that is in “safe mode”, as far as I can tell.

I’d try to do what juancdg says; connect the drive internally instead of the USB enclosure to flash it, and it should work.

And as for your original problem: that is a quirk with Windows. Windows XP’s built in burning engine does not support writing to DVDs. You must use a standalone burning program.[/QUOTE]

Thanks M8, Ill give it a go 2moz, need ti borrow a pc though, Im using a laptop, (no IDE), lol

Sorely1975,

Sorry about your problem with the drive. I too on the same boat with the same drive. Hope this is not a common problem with this drive. I just had it less than 7 mos, and now my lab tops would not recognize it either.

Please share your experience here when you do get a chance to hook it up with a desktop.

I was hoping that we could use C0deKing’s flash utility to do, even in an external enclosure. But notes above seems to indicate that it can’t be done so, please confirm.

Any way, as I don’t have a desktop nor have any access to one around here, please share your result here.

Wish you all the best.

[QUOTE=sorley1975;2142803]I’m using a laptop…[/QUOTE]

Oh, that explains it. Laptops always have port related problems due to weirdness with power saving and chipsets. I’ll bet if you hooked the same drive up to a desktop PC, the problem might disappear. Never flash an external drive with a laptop. Find a desktop to flash it with. Laptops are dangerous.