My desktop wont start even on safe mode!

vbimport

Hey everyone,

This is the best website that i have ever found to provide amazing help! this is a crucial time to pull trough again!!!

My windows xp pc froze… I did a hard restart with the power button and when its re-starting the windows logo pops up with the blue loading bar underneath and two seconds later it goes to a “BLACK” screen that says that my comp was restarted unexpectedly and it gives me the a few options:

Normal start up, safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt and last know good config.

NONE OF THESE WORK!!

my computer is a some what old, only has about 60 GB HD and I bought it 2GB of DDR ram… I would rather not have to geta new unit, but most importantly I NEED TO RECOVER MY PERSONAL AND WORK FILES… my job could be on the line…

Please help!!

Thanks in advance to everyone!!

get a external HDD case pull you HDD out of your PC then connect it to another PC and pull your files off. after that reinstall windows on your 60GB HD.

Since the computer froze and will not restart, you may have a hardware problem. Check the cpu heatsink and see if the fan on it is spinning when you start up the computer. Also check to see if the heatsink is clogged up with dust. Blow it out with a can of compressed air if it is clogged, but hold the blades of the fan still when you do this…don’t let it freewheel in other words.

You might also visually check the motherboard and see if you can spot any bulging or burst capacitors. Capacitors are cylindrical electrical components on the motherboard and should have flat tops with no evidence of leakage.

CCRomeo’s idea for saving your data is a good one by the way. You can also temporarily connect the drive internally in another computer to save your data to another hard drive, if you don’t want to go to the expense of buying an external case.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help,

so far all the fans in my computer are spinning fine and are not too dusty… all of the capacitors also look fine…

I guess i am going to try to back up my HD by plugging it into another tower…I have never done that before I would really appreciate some tips or instructions…

Thank you,

[QUOTE=burningdvd;2499632]Hey guys,

Thanks for the help,

so far all the fans in my computer are spinning fine and are not too dusty… all of the capacitors also look fine…

I guess i am going to try to back up my HD by plugging it into another tower…I have never done that before I would really appreciate some tips or instructions…

Thank you,[/QUOTE]

They do now have USB 3.5 and 2.5 adapter that you can use to hookup your 2.5 to another computer and see if it still works.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2499637]They do now have USB 3.5 and 2.5 adapter that you can use to hookup your 2.5 to another computer and see if it still works.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure I understand… could you give me a link where it would explain that?

To me, it seems like the file system is corrupt and preventing the drive from being mounted, which you may be able to fix by running chkdsk on the drive.

[ol]
[li]Get a bootable Windows XP installation CD, boot it and press ‘R’ to enter the recovery console. [/li][li]Type ‘1’ and press enter.[/li][li]Press enter for the password, unless you’ve an administrator password.[/li][li]Type in the following and press enter: [B]chkdsk C:[/B][/li][li]Type in the following and press enter to exit: [B]exit[/B][/li][/ol]

Hopefully with some luck, it’ll boot up again.

[QUOTE=Seán;2499648]To me, it seems like the file system is corrupt and preventing the drive from being mounted, which you may be able to fix by running chkdsk on the drive.

[ol]
[li]Get a bootable Windows XP installation CD, boot it and press ‘R’ to enter the recovery console.[/li][li]Type ‘1’ and press enter.[/li][li]Press enter for the password, unless you’ve an administrator password.[/li][li]Type in the following and press enter: [B]chkdsk C:[/B][/li][li]Type in the following and press enter to exit: [B]exit[/B][/li][/ol]

Hopefully with some luck, it’ll boot up again.[/QUOTE]

Hey Sean,

Thanks for the info, the problem is that I do not have a windows installation CD… any ideas?

You can download the bootable recovery console from here. Click the link “How To Create a bootable CD to access the Recovery Console” to download the zipped image, extract the ISO and burn the disc image to CD (e.g. using IMGBurn.)

Note that this recovery console disc does not have SATA drivers, so if it gives an error that no hard disk is present, try disabling AHCI and SATA Native mode in the BIOS and boot the CD again.

[QUOTE=Seán;2499697]You can download the bootable recovery console from here. Click the link “How To Create a bootable CD to access the Recovery Console” to download the zipped image, extract the ISO and burn the disc image to CD (e.g. using IMGBurn.)

Note that this recovery console disc does not have SATA drivers, so if it gives an error that no hard disk is present, try disabling AHCI and SATA Native mode in the BIOS and boot the CD again.[/QUOTE]

Sean , I really appreciate you help. I hate to be a pain but the whole AHCI and BIOS thing just went over my head… I have heard the word BIOS but i have no idea what it is and AHCI even less.

If its not too much trouble, please let me know what you mean there… in the mean while I will burn the boot CD in a a friends computer since I obviously cant on my desktop lol…

Thanks Sean

Do you have a manual that came with your computer? The way that you access the bios varies a bit depending on the manufacturer, so you can find how to do it with the manual.

Most home made computers let you get into the bios by clicking on Del as you boot up the machine. On modern Dell’s you click on F2. For other manufacturers, it might be F1 or F2 or Del.

AHCI is one of the settings within the bios of a modern computer. Again, the manual would be most helpful in finding it and changing the setting.

For the moment, don’t worry about the BIOS (or AHCI) until you try booting the disc. I mentioned about this just in case the recovery console complains that a hard disk is not present.

The BIOS setup is what a feature pretty much every motherboard has. You can get into it by pressing a certain key when you wish on the PC. On most PCs, it’s the Delete button and on some others it’s F1 or F2. Usually its says when you turn on the PC, e.g. “Press [F2] for setup”.

Edit: Kerry was quicker :wink:

[QUOTE=burningdvd;2499786]Sean , I really appreciate you help. I hate to be a pain but the whole AHCI and BIOS thing just went over my head… I have heard the word BIOS but i have no idea what it is and AHCI even less.

If its not too much trouble, please let me know what you mean there… in the mean while I will burn the boot CD in a a friends computer since I obviously cant on my desktop lol…

Thanks Sean[/QUOTE]

Hi Sean,

I downloaded the zipped .iso and I did an “extract here” with winrar… and it gives me a bunch of files… a lot of SY_File

I dont know if I can burn this into an ISO image with IMGBURN… did i do it wrong?

Don’t extract the ISO file :wink:

Right-click on the ISO file and click “Burn using ImgBurn”, insert a blank CD, tick ‘Verify’ and click the write to CD icon.

If you don’t see the “Burn using ImgBurn”, make sure you have ImgBurn installed (download link.)

I will be burning the file tonight at my friends computer, in the mean while can you guys tell me if this is a good computer, and how much I should pay for it… its second had of course…

Details:

• Operating System: Windows XP
  • AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.20 GHz Processor
  • 500 GB Hard Drive
  • 2 GB RAM
  • Wireless Network Card
  • DVD / CD Burner

Hey Sean and Kerry,

I did what sean suggested, i burnt th recovery cd… finally… and i followed all the instructions plus i did “chkdsk /r” for repair… it found and repair some problems… but it still does not boot up… I am going crazy ;@

I am open to more suggestions…

Thanks for everything so far!!

Try repairing the boot ini file

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2500191]Try repairing the boot ini file

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairbootini.htm[/QUOTE]

Kerry,

I followed all the steps and everything happened as the instructions said until i got to the point to “eject the windows cd” it would not eject.

I had to type exit and it restarted my system and it did not work :confused:… I am still in square 1,

please keep trowing ideas my way everyone, my last 5 years are in that box…

Thanks

Unfortunately, it looks like one or more Windows system files have gone corrupt or the HDD is failing. :doh:

Generally if chkdsk fails to fix the issue, the next thing I would do is take out the hard disk, put it in an external HDD enclosure and attach it to a laptop or another PC to copy the information (documents, photos, etc.) from and then check if it has any bad sectors. If the HDD is fine, I would put it back in the PC and install Windows from scratch or perform a system recovery (F11 or Ctrl + F11 option at boot) if that PC had a recovery partition on its hard disk.

If you decide to try the enclosure method, you’ll need to find out whether the hard disk is SATA or IDE. The simplest way to check is remove the PC’s side panel and check whether there is a ribbon cable (~2"/~5cm wide) which is IDE or thin cable (~1/2" or 8mm) which is SATA. The colour of the cable is usually white, grey, cream or black or IDE or red, yellow or orange for SATA.

Once you know what type of cable it has, you can get an external enclosure to match this. Alternatively you can get a combination type enclosure to handle both, e.g. the Akasa Integral for IDE & SATA.

Thx sean I am going to do that, but before I do that I have a question. How can I protect myself from the risk of infecting the computer that i plug my HDD into? and from the sounds of it, do you guys think its a virus?

Thanks.