My Cyan Ink won't print its proper color.... canon mp610..printhead problem?

vbimport

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I can get your help.

Here’s the story. I’ve been using my canon mp610 like crazy this past 3 months (ive owned it for 3 years now). I printed around 1000 DVDs alone and printed several thousand pages. Then for 3 weeks, I did not need to use the printer. Now when I try printing on DVD, the blue color turns out purple. And when I go to my word Document and write some words saying “TEST” several times with blue color…its comes out pink. Now I know it cannot be my ink cartridge because I just bought a brand new one and it still prints the same results. Oh yea, I can’t print the color green also, it turns out to be yellow.

So I googled the info and found out it may have something to do with my printhead. So I cleaned it like never before, so its like brand new, not a single ink drop in it (maybe the reason it didn’t work because the ink was dried out). Well unfortunately when I tried it again after cleaning…i STILL get the same results. Blue color turns out pink in word documents…and blue color turns to purple when printing on dvd. Green is still gone.

So…does that mean the only thing I need to replace to get this thing to start working again is a new printhead? Or do I have to buy some other part? I hope someone can help me.

Use the nozzle check test in the driver maintenance section. That’s the only way to get pure single color output from each tank.

Green is a mix of yellow and cyan, so if cyan is FUBAR then so is green. Most blues also have magenta in them, so again if cyan is off so are blues.

Report back on the results of the nozzle check test.

Hey CDan,

Yea, I have tried every possible step. I repeated each maintenance part 4-5 times and I am getting nothing. Sometimes just all black and gray. Do you think it has to do with the print head?

Please state specifically what the results of the nozzle check test are for each color. If possible, post an image.

I wish I can show it to you but I have thrown all the results away to the trash can (plus I’ve taken the print head out to get it cleaned again).

Basically the black was aligned. Pink and Yellow were partially aligned, and Blue was just White. There was no sign of blue life.

Not the alignment test, the nozzle check.

Sounds like only the cyan is effected. If you keep using the printer with clogged nozzles it will surely burn out. Soaking the head in hot water with ammonia should clear it. You can also use a syringe to force cleaning solution down the cyan channels.

Hey,

Well I tried all methods actually but it doesn’t work. I ordered a new print head hoping that may solve the problem. Maybe this one I have is pretty much gone. When I look at the print head I have, it looks as if has been pushed down too much, like its going to break.

I also decided to buy an ip4500 because I realized it uses the same ink cartridges and print head plus it prints directly on dvd/cd.

Gotta have a backup sometime.

I also have an mp610 that won’t print blue. we have replaced the blue cartridge twice and it displays as being full. but no blue ink comes out. we tried the same things you tried (except that I did not physically remove the print head).

I think the answer is ditch the printer. too bad - it was otherwise a decent machine for the year or 2 I had it.

[QUOTE=gobucksjoe;2605516]I also have an mp610 that won’t print blue. we have replaced the blue cartridge twice and it displays as being full. but no blue ink comes out. we tried the same things you tried (except that I did not physically remove the print head).

I think the answer is ditch the printer. too bad - it was otherwise a decent machine for the year or 2 I had it.[/QUOTE]

Replacement print heads should be available at your nearest Canon authorized service shop. Considering the cost of operating the newer printers with tiny ink tanks, it’s a cheap repair.

But first I’d try soaking the head surface in some hot distilled water for a bit. Note: never leave the head unit without tanks in it for more than a few minutes. Alcohol also works well for dissolving dried ink.

Thanks. As a 32 year I.T. veteran, I am slightly embarassed to say I have no idea how to remove a print head for cleaning. Where can I find those instructions? Youtube demo? Google? (by the way, my HP LaserJet 5P just died after 17 years of great service. If only inkjets were even half as reliable)

[QUOTE=gobucksjoe;2605609]Thanks. As a 32 year I.T. veteran, I am slightly embarassed to say I have no idea how to remove a print head for cleaning. Where can I find those instructions? Youtube demo? Google? (by the way, my HP LaserJet 5P just died after 17 years of great service. If only inkjets were even half as reliable)[/QUOTE]

All the tanks sit in the head carriage. There’s a big lever next to it, lift that up and out it comes. Probably need to remove the tanks to get it out. If you’re setting up a new printer, you have to install the carriage so it’s the reverse process. Careful not to dirty up the copper board on the back of it.