My CPU is at 100% when I rip

I just bought a NEC 2500. Ripping a film to my hard drive takes 50 minutes. When I rip, my CPU usage is at 100%.

I have a MSI 6309 motherboard, P3 1 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, Seagate 7200 rpm HD. I use XP Pro and Elby’s Clone DVD. DMA is enabled.

My friend owns a 2.6 P4 and can rip the same file in less than 25 minutes.

Is it normal for my CPU to be at 100% while ripping?

Is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

Sounds like DMA is not properly enabled. Try uninstalling the IDE controller and reboot. Of course if you are shrinking and ripping at the same time, 100% CPU would be normal.

I am a total newbie. The disc I am testing with has 6.51 GB. Does that mean I am shrinking?

Is the time difference between my friend’s 25 minutes time and my 50 minutes due only to his faster CPU?

Should I uninstall my IDE controller?

If your DVD disc is larger than 4.7GB then yes you’re shrinking. 100% CPU usage is quite normal when shrinking a DVD movie. You can check via the Windows Device Manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers if DMA is enabled for your drive. If it is then there is nothing to worry about. If it’s not enable try removing the controller and reboot.

If I go to Device Manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - Secondary IDE channel - Properties - Advanced settings - Device 0, I get the following results:

• Transfer Mode: DMA if enabled

• Current transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2.

However, there is no advanced settings in the properties of my NEC 2500 in DVD-CD-ROM drives. Is this normal?

From the above, can I assume that my DMA is properly enabled?