My Copied DVD's will not play in home DVD Player - Help

vbimport

Recently I backed-up some of my movies using my DVD-RW on my computer, I used DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. I burned the movies using CopyDVD2. I used Sony DVD-R blanks. I copied ‘Heist’ in compressed mode (full version), and also backed-up ‘Shrek’ and ‘Shrek 2’ (for the kids). After I copied these movies, I was able to play them on my Toshiba Home DVD Player on my TV, as well as the DVD player on my computer.

However, more recently (couple days ago), I did the same thing again, backing up such movies as “Ice Age” and “Incredibles”, this time after ripping the movies onto the HD, I had downloaed the Nero burnign software and just burned the movies straight from DVD shrink using the Nero…Although they played fine on my computer, when I put them into my same Toshiba home DVD player, it kept saying “LOADING” but would never load the move, so I am unable to play them on my DVD player…I was also able to play them on my Laptop DVD player (about 3-4 year old Laptop), and also a new portable DVD player that I recently purchased for the kids (Mintek)

Can anybody here help pleas…I am stumped, I can’t figure out what’s going on or how I can fix this problem ???

I am new to this, and would really appreciate any help you experienced guys can offer up!..

Thanks a bunch guys!!

Reduce the burn speed to 4x if you used the same DVD media.

This has all the indications of a bad burn. If you post what your burner is, what the media code is for these discs, and the burn speed, it will be helpful.

My burner is a Philips DVD+RW DVD8631. The media I am using is Sony 4.7 GB (120 minute) ‘1x-4x compatible’ blanks, it says on the label ‘DMR47L2’.

Also, as I mentioned b4, I used the same media the last time, with DVD Shrink and Decrypter, but burned with CloneDVD2, and all the backups I made played on the standalone. This time, I used Nero, which is used in conjunction and within the DVD Shrink process, and this time, no-go on playing on the standalone…I have backed up about 5 movies this way this time around, and none of them play on the standalone, but play fine everywhere else, including the portable DVD player…

BTW, is it possible to just burn using DVD Decrypter and not fiddle around with Nero to burn the copies? Please advise…

Thanks!

Yes, it’s possible to burn with dvddecrypter!
If you’re usin dvdshrink to compress the files, you could find there an option
for output files, create Iso Image of your dvd. After finishing just open
decrypter and choose option Write Iso, take your dvdimage iso and burn it.

Your burner is the same as the BenQ 1620 so it should provide a good burn. What is the media code for your Sony discs. You also should consider getting CDSpeed and testing the burn. I haven’t tested this but your drive should be able to do the quality scan and provide you with and idea of the quality of the burn. Also, I have noticed a lot of disc that the 1620 lokes to burn faster than rated and your home player may not be able to read marginal burns. Make sure you aren’t burning faster than 4X. CDSpeed will also give you the media code.

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

Your burner is the same as the BenQ 1620 so it should provide a good burn. What is the media code for your Sony discs. You also should consider getting CDSpeed and testing the burn. I haven’t tested this but your drive should be able to do the quality scan and provide you with and idea of the quality of the burn. Also, I have noticed a lot of disc that the 1620 likes to burn faster than rated and your home player may not be able to read marginal burns. Make sure you aren’t burning faster than 4X. CDSpeed will also give you the media code.

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

Where do you get the Media code from?? Isn’t it the Sony DVD-R number that I gave in my earlier post (DMR47L2)? So, if I choose the quality burn, and burn maybe less then 4s, that will increase my chances of being able to play it on teh standalone?

Also, could somebody please help clarify what order I should be doing the backup process, I am confused - do I first Decrypt, then write ISO image on my HD, then come back with DVD shrink to author it, or what is the order in which I should do these steps?? Please help…the way it sounds, I may not need to really use the CloneDVD nor the Nero programs…

Thanks a lot guys, you are very helpful - I am glad I fouind this CDFreaks site!

trekkin2k5

You could begin with shrink to compress the files and select output Iso Image,
then you can burn the iso with dvddecrypter, but personally i would first rip
the dvd to hdd, and then following the next steps as i mentioned above.

To determine the media code, please use DVD Identifier (free software), you can download it here: http://dvdidentifier.cdfreaks.com/

Try to change the media and burn at a lower speed. Please search the Forums of CDF to learn what is the ideal media for you burner.

Good luck.

You can also use Nero Recode (part of Nero 6.x suite) to remake the data.

You need to decrypt ALL FILES with DVD Decrypter, then use Nero Recode to remake the decrypted data… The last step is to burn with Nero ROM. USE 4X burn speed!

Hey Thanks rapidfire - so by rip, you mean use DVD Decrypter first? Is Decrypter a ripper, where is saves the DVD movie on your hard drive, while at the same time decrypting it to rmv any protection from it? So, if I understand you correctly, you first use DVD Decrypter, then DVDShrink to author/compress and save ISO image on HD, then burn the ISO image with Decrypter to get the backup?

Instead of DVD shrink, I have read on this forum people talk about alternatives that give you better picture quality, like DVD Rebuilder, and something called Quenc (sp?) and also that CCE that I have heard people rave about but you pay $$$ for that one I gather…

Any recommendations from you guys as to which one is better to use, to get a noticably better picture quality on the backed-up copy? BTW, I have a 36" TV at home along with my Toshiba DVD standalone player…any thoughts?

Please advise.

Thanks!

trekkin2k5

I backup all of my movies using DVDSHRINK first, then DVDCRYPTER. I haven’t had any problems except when using mediocre media. Two simple steps and I have a good backup. I also have a PHILIPS DVD8631.

Yes, that’s exactly what i mean!
The dvd rebuilder in combination with cinema craft encoder(CCE) is really
good, but you said you’re new to this, so i would first go with the combination
of dvddecrypter and dvdshrink, very easy to handle with and it’s free.
Dvdshrink has a very good quality, just give it a try and you’ll see :wink:

I ran a program called DVDInfo, and I put my DVD Disc in my computer DVD Writer (Philips) - the program returned this as my MEDIA ID: SONY04D1.

Can anybody tell me what this means? Do you have any ideas about what quality my media is? (SONY DVD-R 4.7 GB).

Thanks,

trekkin2k5

hi there guys, can you help, i,m new to this copying dvd,s, i have dvd shrink 3.2 and also nero 6, i 1st download dvd from bearshare or limewire, then i open nero 6, i then send download there where it is copied to my harddrive, i then rename it,i then open dvd shrink and send download there, then when its finished the cd/dvd rw opens and i burn it, but it wont play on any of my 2 dvd players, pls help, p.s i use (tuff disc grade A+DVD-RW to burn to, also my dvd players are not a brand name only cheap models $50 max.) thanks for any help guys.

discussion of piracy is not permitted in this forum. please read the rules.