My Computers CD/DVD Optical Drive isn't reading my disc! Please help!

vbimport

Hi there, I recently updated my HP Pavilion DV2810US (or DV2500, same thing) from its original Windows Vista (32 bit) to Windows 7 (64 bit). My problem since I upgraded was that my CD/DVD Optical Drive (which is a LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support) doesn’t read my cd/dvds. I don’t know if my optical drive is messed up or some cable is messed up (I had a friend install a new hard drive so the computer was opened). The thing is, when I insert a CD or a DVD, the little light turns on and the cd spins and tries to load but nothing happens. I have read on multiple forums to check “Device Manager” and look for my drive but ITS NOT THERE! Nothing shows up, also Itunes or Lightscribe doesn’t detect an optical drive? What can I do? Can somebody help me please? Could it be that my drive doesn’t support 64 bit windows 7? Any help will be appreciated.

-Computer Noob

hi and Welcome!

it is not impossible that the cables to your optical drive are not properly seated. Please check that.
You could also get some bootable CD or DVD (I like a Linux Live system like Ubuntu) and see if you can boot your computer from that.

Michael

Did you install win 7 using that drive? Did you do a complete install or a Upgrade? Where did you get the win 7 disc (purchase or download)? Did you install win 7 on the the hard drive that came with the computer or did you install on a new hard drive?

Did you install win 7 using that drive?
I have no idea, my hard drive burnt out and I had a friend install a new hard drive i bought and since I didn’t have the recovery discs for vista he upgraded me Windows 7.

Did you do a complete install or a Upgrade?
I think complete install since it was a brand new hard drive. I don’t see how he would have upgraded cause I told him I wanted vista.

Where did you get the win 7 disc (purchase or download)? He has a multi licensed (I don’[t know much about computers so idk if its illegal)

Did you install win 7 on the the hard drive that came with the computer or did you install on a new hard drive? Installed on a new hard drive since my old one was defective.

Well it could be a corrupted version of Win 7. Other than that I don’t know what to tell you, however there are a lot of folks here that can help you. Just see if you can keep this post on top for a while.
Best of luck with it.

George

[QUOTE=DuFFman12891;2573781]Hi there, I recently updated my HP Pavilion DV2810US (or DV2500, same thing) from its original Windows Vista (32 bit) to Windows 7 (64 bit). My problem since I upgraded was that my CD/DVD Optical Drive (which is a LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support) doesn’t read my cd/dvds. I don’t know if my optical drive is messed up or some cable is messed up (I had a friend install a new hard drive so the computer was opened). The thing is, when I insert a CD or a DVD, the little light turns on and the cd spins and tries to load but nothing happens. I have read on multiple forums to check “Device Manager” and look for my drive but ITS NOT THERE! Nothing shows up, also Itunes or Lightscribe doesn’t detect an optical drive? What can I do? Can somebody help me please? Could it be that my drive doesn’t support 64 bit windows 7? Any help will be appreciated.

-Computer Noob[/QUOTE]
Did you ever figure out the problem… MINE IS DOING THE EXACT SAME THING!!!

Try booting the computer with a bootable disk. This can be a Window install disk, a live Linux cd or something like the Ultimate Boot CD. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
You’d have to make a copy of the UBCD in another computer of course.

The boot order of you computer has to be set to look for the optical disk drive first, rather than the hard drive. So you should look in the bios of the computer to set boot order. It is a good idea to look in there anyway, to see if the optical drive shows up there.

The whole purpose of trying to boot with a disk in the optical drive is to see if it is working outside of the Windows operating system. If it will boot up, then there is no mechanical problem, or connection problem with the drive. This narrows down the possibilities to software issues.

Yo-

You never addressed whether or not you loaded the drivers for the motherboard, video cards, etc. The lack of drivers would definitely affect how your computer operates - or doesn’t-eh.