My computer won't recognize Verbatim (lightscribe) dvd+r dl's why not?

Hello everybody! :smiley: Newbie here. I just purchased and built a new desktop system a month ago.

I’ve been recently using a few software programs to duplicate a few things and recently bought a pack of Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL’s and I’m scratching my head at this.

The computer doesn’t recognize the media at all.

I’ve tried using Nero and DvdFab specficially, but even under windows, it doesn’t recognize the discs.

I’m using a Liteon IHAS422-08 (I own two of them) brand new, manufactured in december of '08 and neither drive will read them.

I have from what I understand according to Liteon, the latest and greatest drivers for the drives (4L12) and even going to the website to get the latest driver would essentially downgrade me a step (4L11). At least that’s what online tech support said, though they weren’t very helpful.

I’ve attached the infotool.txt info that Nero gave me, while the DVD was in the drive.

Fyi, the drive that actually had the blank DVD in it was Drive E:

I’ve searched the forums and there isn’t an exact question related to my answer, though I have found a few threads where some people have suggested that the overseas (made in singapore I believe?) discs are better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Where are the drives connected to? It may simply be a SATA controller issue and not a media problem - unless you’ve tried single-layer (or another brand of DL) DVDs and successfully read and burned some (or even CDs), then its a media problem for sure.

If you could provide more info with your hardware setup (OS/SATA controller chipset/etc) we could probably shed some light on this issue.

[QUOTE=evo69;2235611]Where are the drives connected to? It may simply be a SATA controller issue and not a media problem - unless you’ve tried single-layer (or another brand of DL) DVDs and successfully read and burned some (or even CDs), then its a media problem for sure.

If you could provide more info with your hardware setup (OS/SATA controller chipset/etc) we could probably shed some light on this issue.[/QUOTE]

Evo, thanks for being kind enough to reply.

I forgot earlier (I was tired and had spent almost 3 hours on this after work) to mention that I used quite a few Sony 8.5 GB DVD+R DL’s and had no coasters, using DVD9 to copy. They were IMHO, quite flawless.

I’ve also used some Sony CD-R’s with no problems to burn a few things as well.

The setup I have in short is on an Intel DP45SG with the SATA drives wired individually and directly into the board with 4 GB of DDR3, and Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 and the OS I’m using is XP Pro with SP3.

I don’t know if this makes a difference or not.

[QUOTE=wanderlusterer;2235747]

The setup I have in short is on an Intel DP45SG with the SATA drives wired individually and directly into the board with 4 GB of DDR3, and Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 and the OS I’m using is XP Pro with SP3.

[/QUOTE]

Wanna trade???

[QUOTE=disk n00b;2236193]Wanna trade???[/QUOTE]

What are you referring to? If you mean hardware, no. If you mean the disks, I sent them back and am getting another batch. I don’t know if I should open them or not. I was thinking about putting them on evilbay. What are you looking to trade?

I’m still really upset. (i’d put more emphasis on that, but don’t wanna get banned after my 3rd post)

I can’t understand why the hell the DVD’S won’t be recognized. So, I’m going to bump this thread.

The only difference BESIDES the fact that one is lightscribe and one is not is that the speed is 8X with the Verbatim and 2.4X with the Sony.

That shouldn’t make a difference at all in recognizing the DVD itself should it?

The problem is still the SATA controller used.

[QUOTE=chef;2238449]The problem is still the SATA controller used.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your response, but would you care to elaborate?

Or at the very least, point me in the right direction to resolve the issue?

Thanks!

Anyone have any answers?

Can you connect the optical drives to other SATA ports?

[QUOTE=chef;2239024]Can you connect the optical drives to other SATA ports?

NO. And why would I? If you’re going to be so kind as to give advice, PLEASE, read the entire post of my problem before you decide you’re going to give an inane solution. Fyi, if you read what I’ve posted, you’ll see the drives are working fine. I have no problems burning CD-R’s,DVD R’s or even DVD+R DL’s. My problem is that the preferred media I had intended on using with these drives will not work with it.

Thank you.

For everyone else, I really did think this was a community where there were SOLUTIONS. What gives? I have spent a shameful amount of time on this one problem. I’ve tried sending pm’s to people I thought would actually have some knowledge of this, but haven’t received a response.

I’ve done all the searching I can and found that there seems to be an ISSUE WITH THE VERB’s BEING READ BY LITEON IHAS 422 drives, yet this doesn’t seem to be a definitive answer.

Someone got the brains to wrap their head around this?

If no one’s answering immediately then no one has a clue why (yet). No one’s ever had problems with the detection of MKM003 media before in this forum, ever. If you scoot over to the LiteOn subforum people have success with their iHAS422 and Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL, like this burn result by jubjubbird and his Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL (MKM003).

You could try chef’s suggestion to isolate the problem. You could also reflash the drives using new firmware on a different SATA header. Either way it sounds like there’s a problem with that batch of discs that you have (where is it made - India, Taiwan, Singapore?) or there are issues with your hardware (ie. optical drive/motherboard/SATA controller).

Have you tried flipping the disc over and trying the lightscribe side? Is it still undetected by the drive?

[QUOTE=evo69;2239167]

You could try chef’s suggestion to isolate the problem. You could also reflash the drives using new firmware on a different SATA header.[/QUOTE]

When I originally assembled the computer, the latest or newest firmware was 4L12. Though the weirdness of it is, that if you go to see, the latest and greatest is 4L11 on Liteon’s site. What else would I try besides this?

[QUOTE=evo69;2239167]
Either way it sounds like there’s a problem with that batch of discs that you have (where is it made - India, Taiwan, Singapore?)[/QUOTE]

How would I go about doing this?

[QUOTE=evo69;2239167]
Have you tried flipping the disc over and trying the lightscribe side? Is it still undetected by the drive?[/QUOTE]

I didn’t try this. Mostly because I would prefer to have something burned on the disk, before I start labeling it.

On the next batch I get, I’ll try it though.

You could try some of C0deKing’s modified firmware - those really rock. Just head over the LiteOn subforum and look for “New LiteOn firmware” or somesuch, started by C0deKing.

This part is simple - it’s supposed to be on the spindle/packaging/box. If you only have the bare discs, you could post what’s written in the inner hub area on the clear plastic. There’s some sort of code there that could be used to trace which manufacturer stamped it and where.

[QUOTE=wanderlusterer;2239196]I didn’t try this. Mostly because I would prefer to have something burned on the disk, before I start labeling it.[/QUOTE]

I was just asking if the discs were detected once you flipped it - I didn’t imply that you had to burn/scribe anything on it yet. :wink:

[QUOTE=evo69;2239214]You could try some of C0deKing’s modified firmware - those really rock. Just head over the LiteOn subforum and look for “New LiteOn firmware” or somesuch, started by C0deKing.
[/QUOTE]

Okay, honestly I emailed him. I never received a response though this was just yesterday, before your response so I am hoping he’ll respond back.

[QUOTE=evo69;2239214]
This part is simple - it’s supposed to be on the spindle/packaging/box. If you only have the bare discs, you could post what’s written in the inner hub area on the clear plastic. There’s some sort of code there that could be used to trace which manufacturer stamped it and where.[/QUOTE]

Okay, so if I’m looking on the box then it should say something like “Made In Singapore” or something like that right? This Friday, I’ll be buying a new box of em’ at a local store that actually has them in stock.

[QUOTE=evo69;2239214]
I was just asking if the discs were detected once you flipped it - I didn’t imply that you had to burn/scribe anything on it yet. ;)[/QUOTE]

Sorry man, :bow: I’m not trying to be super anal or anything. I just don’t get why they’re not working.

I’m going to keep continuing to post my experiences since there doesn’t seem to be an issue anywhere else with this, until I get it resolved.

Welp, I just got back from a local computer store that carried the same media I bought online. As it turns out, it’s made in Taiwan.

Evo69, if you’re still curious about this:

For kicks, I tried flipping one over. I went to Nero and “started” to make a label and it it automatically selected the appropriate drive the disk was in and bing, bang, boom. No problems. I didn’t finish the process, but I could see where it was writing the lightscribe portion and I’m sure it would have done so properly.

The result of putting in a different package (10 discs) to try and copy on the data side? The same thing. The media will cannot or will not be accessed by any software I use.

I called Liteon and the CSR I got was very defensive and said, “well if you’ve tried other media and it works, then it’s not the drive.”

At this point, I’m thinking this might be the case.

So, other than trying to upgrade the firmware to 4L16 which I will after asking a few more questions, does anyone know where I can get the same media, but made in a different locale?

OR the same TYPE of media, but from a different manufacturer?

For the Verbatim Blank:

Drive Type = SUPER ALLWRITE (Support LightScribe)
     Disc Type = LIGHTSCRIBE          
      Material = Cyanine
       Lead In = 00:00:00
      Lead Out = 00:00:00

Nominal Capacity = -0.29MB
Manufacturer Maybe = (null)
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 0X (Write)

For the Sony Blank:

Drive Type = SUPER ALLWRITE (Support LightScribe)
     Disc Type = DVD+R DL (Double Layer)

Nominal Capacity = 7.96GB
Manufacturer Maybe = RiTEK Corporation
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 2.4X (Write)

Upgraded Firmware to 4L16. No difference. Didn’t think there would be in detecting media.

Okay, so I haven’t heard back from Verbatim. Didn’t really expect to though.

Anyone want to try this out? Since I have in essence, 10 unusable DVD’s, maybe someone who has a similar OS and at the very least, the same burners can test them?

I’ve not had any issues with my iHAS422 recognising any discs. This does happen now and then with a bad batch of media, and that’s the best I can suggest at the present time.

Where are you located? Maybe you could send a disc to someone with an iHAS422 to try? DO you have another burner in your system, or have access to, to see if they can be recognised in another drive? That could rule out the bad batch theory and point the issue at the drive.

I have never contacted Verbatim support, but I’ve read a few stores on here of people getting replacements without issue.

[quote=wanderlusterer;2241126]So, other than trying to upgrade the firmware to 4L16 which I will after asking a few more questions, does anyone know where I can get the same media, but made in a different locale?

OR the same TYPE of media, but from a different manufacturer?[/quote]

I think the only Lightscribe DL media out there is Verbatim, and I think it is only produced in Taiwan.