My computer smells like smoke!

vbimport

hi,

i have a computer and it smells like smoke…
i dont know whats going on but is it a PSU shorting out the computer still works fine. i removed every thing hard drives, RAM, video card, etc. when i start the computer it does not smell like smoke untill i play games.

Roland.

Probably your video card then. Just a guess.

Probably just dust around the CPU etc. that is getting hot as you start to stress it. If you have a graphics card that has a built in heatsink/fan then this can get pretty hot, too.

Use a vacuum cleaner with a soft hose extension (any bit of hose or flexible pipe jammed into the suck-tube with a bit of rag etc. to seal it) to suck out dust from around the inside of your PC, then stress it for a few days with something like dream aquarium screen saver and see if the smell disappears.

Slainte

midders
P.S. if it bursts into flame, then you’ll know I was wrong :wink:

I’m highly against vacuum cleaners since they can suck up components, so be very careful with that if you use a too powerful vacuum cleaner.

First test your computer temperature sensors in the bios/setup. If there are no sensor indicators in the bios/setup check the motherboard manufacturers’ website for more information or tools.

The best advice i can get is to get an air compressor, take your opened up computer case outside and blow away all the dust from a great distance. Check if components are swollen up, especially capacitors.

After that close the case and boot up the computer. Test the sensors again. Stress test the processors (gpu and cpu’s).

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2453056]The best advice i can get is to get an air compressor, take your opened up computer case outside and blow away all the dust from a great distance.[/QUOTE]

Or if you have no air compressor handy you can buy a can or two of compressed air
at places like Walmart, Kmart, Big Lots, most any store like those or check your local
computer shop or computer supply store like Fry’s or some store like that. :iagree:

What brand and model PSU and video card is in your PC?

well since i am using a different computer. the PSU is austin switching power supply, its a computer that my dad made in 2001, and the video card is 1 year old i dont think its the problem its ati radeon 9600 pro it only has a heat sink

With the PC off and unplugged you can use your nose detector and see which location the smell is originating. I would suspect the PSU, from 2001.

It might be your power supply. This happen to me, I was converting dvds for a couple hours and smelled something burning. Took apart the power supply and notice couple of the capicators blown. Replaced it and works fine.

If your going to replace the PSU here are two suggestions, the best being the CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified its $30 after rebate and comes with a free 8GB SDHC memory card. Sometimes free shipping will pop up but with the memory thats wishful thinking.

If you don’t want to put up front the $50 and shipping for that deal, you can get this LOGISYS Computer PS550E12 550W ATX12V Power Supply Its rated at 550W but because this is a lower end unit its going to be more like 250W, but should be more than enough to get your PC working. That one would be closer to $30 shipped.

No point in buying crap…
//Danne

[QUOTE=getit29;2453125]Or if you have no air compressor handy you can buy a can or two of compressed air[/QUOTE] Correct, but use those at a safe distance. Usually the compressed air is quite cold and could form condensation (water drops) on your components.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2453056]I’m highly against vacuum cleaners since they can suck up components[/QUOTE]

If there are any components that are loose enough to be sucked up by a standard vacumm cleaner then I think you have bigger problems than smelling smoke!

Just out of curiosity, is this warning out of personal experience or just a what if? :wink:

Slainte

midders

[QUOTE=midders;2453508]Just out of curiosity, is this warning out of personal experience or just a what if? ;)[/quote] You could damage the components if you hold it too close. At a distance compressed air works better.

From a few previous call outs I dealt with for a similar issue of burnt plastic smells, the PSU was the main culprit, usually where its fan has stopped working. The outcome is usually the same if not dealt with: It starts giving off a burning smell for a few days and then the PC will either not turn on or will not power on properly (e.g. LEDs light, but no display, beeps, etc.) In one case where I was present, the PSU made a bang with a puff of smoke. In another case, it shorted out and ended up frying various components on the motherboard.

The only other case I’ve seen this happen was when the graphics card fan stopped working.

The first thing to check is that the fan is spinning in the PSU. If not, I would strongly recommend replacing the PSU, as usually it is not worth repairing/replacing its internal fan.

If the PSU fan is spinning, remove the side of the PC and make sure all the fans inside are spinning, especially the exhaust fan and the graphics card fan (if it has one) If any of these are not spinning, try dusting them with an air duster, otherwise replace that fan.

If all fans inside are fine and the PC is relatively dust free, then it is very likely your PSU is at the end of its life. In this case, get a new PSU and try using your PC as little as possible, especially since the PSU can potentially cause other damage to the PC.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2453355]Correct, but use those at a safe distance. Usually the compressed air is quite cold and could form condensation (water drops) on your components.[/QUOTE]

Always test a can of air before you use it, to make sure that it’s working properly and not spewing out liquid.

Also, only use the tall cans of 10oz or 12oz air, do NOT use the really short cans as those tend to spew liquid and mess things up.

Also, try not to hold a can of air at too much of an angle. The more at an angle you hold it, the greater likelyhood of liquid coming out.

Just suggesting… It could be the inverter.
I got a broken laptop an when i took out and put the inverter in. i placed in a few mm from how it was originaly placed and when i turned it on there was a small spark and it smelled like smoke.

PS. i didn’t read the whole post