My Computer Is Not Recognizing My New DVD Burner. Please, Help!

I have a DELL Dimension 8200 Desktop PC. I just ordered a new DVD Burner from www.newegg.com. It is the Pioneer DVR-116DBK. My old DVD Burner was a NEC ND-3540A and the CD Burner laser burnt out and I could no longer burn CD’s. So, I ordered a new Burner. Both DVD Burners plug up the same way, so I just plugged the Pioneer up the way the NEC was plugged up. However, upon startup, the Dell logo shows up longer than normally and then it says something about drive 0 and drive 1 not being recognized (Or, something like that). So, I kept pushing F2 to get to the hardware screen and it showed:

Secondary Drive 0: Not Recognized
Secondary Drive 1: Not Recognized

The only options for those drives were ‘Auto’ and ‘Off’. When I chose ‘Auto’, it went back to being Not Recognized. So, I unplugged the Pioneer burner and restarted the Computer. This time it started up normally and on the Secondary Drive 0, it showed ‘CD-Rom Drive’. But, everytime I tried to plug the Pioneer back in, it went back to being Not Recognized. So, I just plugged my NEC Burner back up and both are working. So, why isn’t my CD-Rom being recognized, nor the Pioneer Burner when I plug the Pioneer Burner in? Could it be defective? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Have you checked the master/slave jumpers on the back of the drive?
Also, do you know if the ribbon cable is 40 or 80 wire?

[QUOTE=Whappo;2236208]Have you checked the master/slave jumpers on the back of the drive?
Also, do you know if the ribbon cable is 40 or 80 wire?[/QUOTE]

Well, I didn’t change anything. I put everything back exactly the way it was, unless I accidently hit something. As far as the master/slave, I didn’t change anything. I don’t know how. lol I just put the DVD Burner in the same exact place where the NEC Burner was. I don’t know about the ribbon cable. It is white and gray if that helps. But, I looked at the back of the Pioneer Burner and it has the same hookup as my NEC. Also, where the ribbon cable plugs in, it looks exactly the same on both. So, I would assume both Burners have the same amount of pins. Thanks for the reply.

Drives I’ve purchased came set to cable select, and drive should be set to either Master or Slave corresponding to how the drive is connected. You also need to be sure you’re using 80 wire IDE cable as Whappo suggests. Drives have same number of pins, but older cables have 40 wires while newer cables required by newer drives have 80 wires.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2236426]Drives I’ve purchased came set to cable select, and drive should be set to either Master or Slave corresponding to how the drive is connected. You also need to be sure you’re using 80 wire IDE cable as Whappo suggests. Drives have same number of pins, but older cables have 40 wires while newer cables required by newer drives have 80 wires.[/QUOTE]

So, more than likely I will need to get an 80 wire cable? Also, I noticed a small clip in one of the back plugs of the Pioneer DVD Burner. Is that how I change it to Master or Slave? Do I just pull it out and put it in another place? Thanks!

There should be markings for the jumper position… MS SL or CS (cable select). If you are using both drives, one should be MS and the other SL, the master goes on the end of the cable, the slave in the middle, if they are both on the same IDE channel.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2236804]There should be markings for the jumper position… MS SL or CS (cable select). If you are using both drives, one should be MS and the other SL, the master goes on the end of the cable, the slave in the middle, if they are both on the same IDE channel.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that is what it was. The Pioneer was set to master, so I switched the plug to slave and it works fine. Thanks for all the help!