MY computer doesn't recognise dvd-r's at all, doesn't even recognise anything being in the drive!, it says 'there is no disk in drive d',WTF?

vbimport

First of all,
1)I have DVD burning software
2)I have tried different brands of dvd-r’s

My computer just does not recognise that anything has been put into it.It recognies cd’s and dvd’s just fine, but i I put a dvd-r in, both my computer and my dvd burning software register nothing.When I try to write something to it, it says that there is no disk in the drive.

What could this be?

could someone please help?

can you tell us the name of your burner and dvd media?

[QUOTE=troy512;2084730]can you tell us the name of your burner and dvd media?[/QUOTE]

thanks so much for helping.

By burner, do you mean my cd drive?
If so, it’s : HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N

My dvd burning software is:HT Fireman CD/DVD Burner 1.4

And my blank dvd’s that I am using right now are: MAXELL 16x speed DVD-r SQ, 4.7 gigabytes-120 minutes

If you need any more info just ask.

Thanks again!

That drive will only read dvd’s not burn them , it will only burn cd’s

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2084734]That drive will only read dvd’s not burn them , it will only burn cd’s[/QUOTE]

you mean I would have to buy a new d drive to burn dvds?

Seriously?

Is there no way around this?, no firmware?

No way around it, buy an external usb/firewire enclosure and a good burner.

write: 24x CD-R

read: 8x DVD ROM, 24x CDROM

no way to write on cd burner/dvd rom, sorry

id do as jethro suggested. dont get another slim type drive.

get either a pioneer or a lite-on external

I would also like to suggest reading Troy’s sig real close, the first sentence is solid advice.

ok, just out of interest, how do you tell if a drive is able to write dvds or not?

And why the hell do they even make drives that aren’t capable of writing dvd-rs?I mean, it’s just a bigger cd right?Why wouldn’t a computer be able to recognise it and write files to it?

Thanks for trying to help me out guys.

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

[QUOTE=shanana;2084744]ok, just out of interest, how do you tell if a drive is able to write dvds or not? 1

And why the hell do they even make drives that aren’t capable of writing dvd-rs? 3 I mean, it’s just a bigger cd right?Why wouldn’t a computer be able to recognise it and write files to it?2

Thanks for trying to help me out guys.[/QUOTE]

It will say something like dvd±rw instead of dvd-rom 1
The difference between a dvd and a cd is a whole lot, google please.2
not everyone wants to burn dvd’s they just want to read them.3

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2084748]It will say something like dvd±rw instead of dvd-rom 1
The difference between a dvd and a cd is a whole lot, google please.2
not everyone wants to burn dvd’s they just want to read them.3[/QUOTE]

well, Ijust followed troy’s link and got this:

DVD is the new generation of optical disc storage technology. DVD is essentially a bigger, faster CD that can hold cinema-like video, better-than-CD audio, still photos, and computer data

so, on first glance, your

The difference between a dvd and a cd is a whole lot, google please

comment seems unjustified and rude.

No My comment was not intended to be rude, Troys link does not really cover the differences, 2 different lasers, 2 different write stratigies, ect., ect., ect. That is why I suggested googling to read up a little about them so you could have a better understanding of the differences. And not have someone here do all the work for you. I gave you the information you asked about, sorry if the answers were not what you wanted to hear, but there is no way, no how, to get a cd burner to write a dvd.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2084758]No My comment was not intended to be rude, Troys link does not really cover the differences, 2 different lasers, 2 different write stratigies, ect., ect., ect. That is why I suggested googling to read up a little about them so you could have a better understanding of the differences. And not have someone here do all the work for you. I gave you the information you asked about, sorry if the answers were not what you wanted to hear, but there is no way, no how, to get a cd burner to write a dvd.[/QUOTE]

sorry, I was obviously being overly sensitive, apologies.

That is ok, I know that computing can be frustrating at times. It was just a misunderstanding, there is good help here on these forums. If you look at the index of forums you can find help with a good choice for a external dvd burner, they are much cheaper and work better.Thats what I suggest rather than trying to replace the one in your laptop.

Here is the forum to look in.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/

thanks very much man.