My computer doesn't read cd-r. It can play audio cd's and dvd's

vbimport

i have a sonic cd burner and just recently i tried burning songs and pictures but my computer doesn’t read cd-r. It can play audio cd’s and dvd’s. It can even burn using a dvd-r but when i try burning with cd-r, it won’t allow it. I bought 2 new packs but it’s still not working. Can anybody help me please?

what burner do you have?

i have Sonic DigitalMedia

which software are you using??? It might happen that CD-R burning option is disabled. You can check it out in the Options menu…most probably…:slight_smile:

i don’t think so because i can burn pictures using a dvd-r but when i try burning songs, it won’t let me. It always tells me to insert a blank recordable disc. I bought several packs of cd-r’s already thinking that the cd’s that i have are corrupted or something but it’s still the same…anybody who can help me please?

I have a Sonic DigitalMediaHome software…

Just try updating the firmware for ur drive. If its letting u burn the DVDs there should be no problem with the CD-Rs, maybe the firmware is not up-to-date. Also which media are you using??? Try using some quality media, cheap media usually have this problem that some drives won’t recoganize them.

I’m not really good with computers, more so with the computer lingo…what is a firmware? lol. How do i update the firmware for my drive? I have Sony, then i bought Fujifilm, then just the other day, i bought Maxell…but they all don’t work.

Firmware is basically the program that runs your drive. Based on your cd-dvd drive brand and model choose the right firmware and update it. Here is the link, please read the instruction before you proceed and also search this forum for more info.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

I dont know what you mean when you wrote:

but when i try burning songs, it won’t let me.

pwincessteff: Your drive has two lasers. Perhaps the DVD laser is functioning properly but the CD laser is failing. To eliminate your burning program as the source of the problem, please try the following:

Right-click on a file you want to burn and select “send to” & then the CD burner drive as the destination. What happens?

Here is a thought–what software do you have installed? Did you burn the discs you are trying to read? I do agree that testing the drives Lasers is a good idea, btw. If you used NERO or Roxio/Sonic burning software for the CD-Rs that may be part of the problem. Some drives and computers have one of the drag-n-drop programs (InCD or DLA/D-n-D) and they are known sources of issues for both writing and reading discs.
Just my 2 cents-Good Luck

whenever i put the cd-r in, it always tells me “Insert a blank recordable disc”. I’ve tried several brands already it still won’t let me burn on a cd-r and the thing is, i was able to before

Did you try the following as suggested?

Right-click on a file you want to burn and select “send to” & then the CD burner drive as the destination. What happens?

ummm it tells me that there are files ready to be written on the cd but when i click “write these files to CD”, it tells me that there is no CD inserted…