My Computer Dies When Inserting A Cd Into My Dual Layer DVD Drive

vbimport

Hey everyone, it seems that I have lots of issues with computers.

I recently bought a new motherboard its a Gigabyte EP31-DS3L

Basically I moved everything over to a new case that I had to buy to fit the board in, and I also connected my new Dual Layer DVD Burner but I’m having some major problems actually turning my machine on.

With the case I also got a brand new 550W power supply.

Anyway basically what happens is, when I try to turn my computer on, it’ll power up and start to boot but after about 3 seconds after pressing the power button my computer will just power off instantly.
If I disconnect the Dual Layer DVD burner I get a “NTLDR is Missing” error. Which is a boot sector error. (I know all about NTLDR errors).

I took my computer in to where I got my motherboard from and they told me BOTH my hard drives had crashed. Both my IDE and my SATA. But after just trying to boot my computer again and again it finally started. (With everything connected).

Windows loaded up and I was brought to my logon screen. I then checked device manager and found that everything was uninstalled so I thought, oh I have to install my motherboard drivers.
I inserted the CD into my DL-DVD drive and the moment it tried to read it, my computer shut itself down instantly. No warning no nothing. It acted as if my house had been apart of a power outage.

Then to turn my computer on I repeatedly pressed the power button trying to boot the machine. Sometimes it almost boots and then instantly turns off, other times it’ll only try and boot for about half a second before turning off. Sometimes nothing will happen. But after trying enough times it booted again, and I tried putting in another CD to see if it would read it. Same thing, my computer crashed instantly. So I thought ok theres problem number 2. (Problem number 1 being the computer not starting first time).

To install my motherboard drivers I took my SATA drive out, put it in another computer which booted perfectly. I then put everything from my Gigabytes Driver Installation CD, into a folder on my desktop and installed the drivers when I plugged my SATA back into the computer I’m currently having problems with. Now everything is installed but I’m still getting errors starting my computer. For instance it wont start first time every time like all computers should. Secondly I cant put any CD (even a blank) into my Dual Layer DVD Burner and have it read it. Because the moment it tries to read it, it crashes. Even if I put my windows xp installation CD in my computer and then boot my computer the moment it detects a CD in the drive it dies.

This is seriously a phase of the weirdest errors I’ve ever gotten.

I’ve checked and re-checked all my sockets and everything.
One thing I thought was that maybe my computer isnt getting enough power to start, because sometimes when I press the ON button my tower to boot my computer it’ll sound like its almost about to boot and then it’ll stop. Other times it’ll stop instantly. It’s like its totally random.

So could anyone think of a possible solution for this… ?

The motherboard is brand new, so is the DVD burner and the case. Everything else, both the hard drives and my ram and my processor are from my old computer. I checked and re-checked for compatibility issues on the net and even asked the staff at the place where I got all my new gear. They said everything is compatible but maybe I have faulty hard drives because the computer will boot when nothing is connected to it (no HDD’s & No Burner). But It will only boot to the BIOS and then tell me that I don’t have any drives connected with an OS on them.

The thing is, when my computer DOES decide it wants to start. I can see all my files and none are corrupt.
Which makes me wonder, why wont my computer read CD’s or DVD’s and why wont it start first time?

Maybe there is something wrong with the drive? what wattage is your power supply, if the drive is pulling to much from a power supply that’s too small, you’ll get that!

My power supply is a 550W so theres no way that could be the problem. :frowning: Any other suggestions…?

In device manager the drive is installed correctly.

Do you have another drive you can try? if it doesn’t act the way it does with the other drive, then the new drive is defective and should be returned for a new one

Yeah my other CD/RW drive works fine. This one just crashes heaps easily.

Hi RAKASTAA,

I think you have to start at the beginning and [B]not[/B] assume your psu is ok simply because it’s new. Either swap it or test the rail voltages.
I have no idea where these “experts” are coming from when they told you both hdds are dead…:rolleyes:

I’d check all your motherboard cables and connections again.
What happens if you fire up the new rig with just your OS hdd?
Does the system boot properly? Does everything check out in your bios?
Maybe you have a defective motherboard?

Based on our list of [I]usual suspects[/I], I’d look first to your psu.

Ok guys I’ll test the rail voltage first and post the results. Thanks heaps for the ongoing support.

This could be a power supply problem but also look at the following as in new builds overheating is often the cause.
Make sure that the correct frequency and multiplier is set in BIOS.
Make sure that the heat sink on your CPU is properly seated with sufficient heat conducting paste between it and the heat sink.
Make sure the CPU fan is running?
Best wishes for a speedy diagnosis.

You do not say whether you have formatted the drive from your old machine and installed the operating system or if you are using the old OS from the previous system.
If you are and it is not an identical motherboard it will be set up for your old system which will not be compatible with your new board.

I agree with maineman and weedougie.

1. If you are trying to “recycle” your old OS install from another board, this is very likely the root cause of your troubles.
    Most of your symptoms could be associated with this.

2. The power down the moment you try to start the optical drive is a classic “failing power supply” symptom.

I would address item #1 first, before suspecting any components.

Over 50% of power supplies on the market are junk.
Over 75% of power supplies that come with cases are junk.
Antec is the only case/PS combo that I might trust.
Watts don’t mean crap (advertising gimmick), it’s stable amps under load that count.

Ok thanks for all that knowledge and your ongoing support. I at first suspected a useless power supply as well.

The case was only $56 and it came with a free power supply. I’m thinking of putting my old one in it because I never had any problems with it.

I am using my old operating system that I had with my old OS on this new motherboard.

However I want to ask a question. Would it really make any difference when booting the computer if the operating system was set to my old motherboard?

I mean it’s not really getting to the BIOS half the time.
I do notice that when it does try to power my Dual Layer DVD burner on, it almost always fails to start after the power light on my burner comes on. So this would mean that the burner isnt getting enough power and therefore is sucking everything from the Power Supply? Causing my computer to crash due to loss of power.

I’ll try my other power supply and see if that is the case.
Then again could my dual layer burner really suck so much out of a 550W power supply causing my computer to just die like that.

Another thing I don’t think I told you guys about was that, when the computer actually does seem to start, it stays on until I turn it off. Also after I turn it off, if I turn it back on straight away there is an 80% chance that it will start again first time.

So does this mean that because there may be power still in the wires that the PS doesn’t have to send as much out to actually boot the system again?

Because when the computer wont boot first time and I have to try and try it seems more likely to start after each time I try, and then on the 2 - 6th time it’ll boot without any problems.

Then again it can also take like almost 40 seconds for the bios to beep and tell me everything is ok, then I get video and my computer boots.

So I guess what it is coming down to is a busted power supply.

The power supply is an OMNI 550W and the case is an OMNI.
Like I said the Motherboard is a Gigabyte EP31-DS3L
The Dual layer burner is a Super Multi and its an: [I]LG (Life’s Good) [/I] HL-DT-SD DVD-RAM GH22NS30 [B]&[/B] CU3470Y GSA980I SCSI CDRom Device

(It comes up as 2 devices in my Device Manager)
Also I don’t have any Yellow !'s either.

Oh also weedougie the CPU can’t be overheating and there is almost no heat coming off the board what-so-ever. I got a new cpu cooler and all my fans are working fine, if it was overheating my computer would shut down automatically after long periods of use but in my BIOS it tells me that my computer is A-OK and nice and cool. I also used some new coolant for the CPU that goes between that and the Heat Sink. So I don’t think it is a cooling issue. I will go ahead and take my old power supply out and try to boot my system with it.

However even if it does boot first time every time and that fixes my boot problem, I still have this issue with the Dual Layer DVD Burner crashing my computer the moment I insert any media.

I’ll try all this now and get back to you asap.
Once again thanks a whole bunch for the on-going support.

FIXED!!! Well sorta. Ok so basically my power supply that came with my computer was just faulty. It wasn’t giving enough power to my system.

This caused both the problems starting my computer up, due to it not giving out enough power and the sudden shut down when trying to read any sort of CD.

The reason why it was shutting my computer down when I inserted any disc media was because of the sudden increase in power needed to read the CD. (You know how they get loud and faster etc). Well yeah everyone knows that requires more power.

So in the end, it was all due to a busted power supply. I’m not using my old 500W HP power supply and it works like a charm. Boots up first time every time read’s all my media. I guess I should have expected to get a bodgy PS with my case.

Oh well other then that, I’m happy as can be. Thankgod for you guys and thankgod I had another PS from my old computer.
If there is a reputation system or something where I can +rep you guys then just point me to it and I’ll give you some rep or something.

Once again, thanks again.

I do however have one final question. Would it still be necessary to install my OS again?

[QUOTE=RAKASTAA;2151888]
I do however have one final question. Would it still be necessary to install my OS again?[/QUOTE]
Sounds like you may have had a compound problem.
I have had luck with a OS swap like this only when the mobo chipsets (not CPU) were the same.
Even then it was dicey.

With my last mobo swap, I did a Windows Repair Install and had to call MS (Bangalore) for an activation code.

Here are two links that might be of interest.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/
Read carefully and don’t leap ahead without thoroughly understanding the process.
Back up any valuable data before proceeding.

Hi again RAKASTAA,

Congrats on getting your rig up and running…well sort of…
Excellent advice from weedougie and jflan…:iagree:

I don’t know what your budget is like, but good quality hdd’s are big and cheap nowadays. Personally, I wouldn’t think twice about this. New hdd, new OS install and keep your old hdd as a slave. Whatever you need on your new hdd, you can just slide over. You’d have to reinstall any programs, but as long as you have the set up files, you’re good to go.

[QUOTE=RAKASTAA;2151888]FIXED!!! Well sorta. Ok so basically my power supply that came with my computer was just faulty. It wasn’t giving enough power to my system.

This caused both the problems starting my computer up, due to it not giving out enough power and the sudden shut down when trying to read any sort of CD.

The reason why it was shutting my computer down when I inserted any disc media was because of the sudden increase in power needed to read the CD. (You know how they get loud and faster etc). Well yeah everyone knows that requires more power.

So in the end, it was all due to a busted power supply. I’m not using my old 500W HP power supply and it works like a charm. Boots up first time every time read’s all my media. I guess I should have expected to get a bodgy PS with my case.

Oh well other then that, I’m happy as can be. Thankgod for you guys and thankgod I had another PS from my old computer.
If there is a reputation system or something where I can +rep you guys then just point me to it and I’ll give you some rep or something.

Once again, thanks again.[/QUOTE]

I have already known this for several years: If you paid a low price for a case, and that case came with a PSU, expect that PSU to be of questionable at best quality - such as that so-called “550W” unit which can actually handle no more than about half that much wattage.