My cd drive is not working

Hi all

I have a sony vaio computer. the model is vgn-fs742. It comes with Soy DVD RW DW-Q58A. It was not playing any type of CD(audio/video/software) . whenver I put any disk i am getting an error saying “Please insert Disk into Drive E”

Last time I used this drive is 6 months back and lat operation as i remeber is burned some Memorex cds i think after this it stopped working.
Any help to debug this problem is of great help

did you clean the laser?

Welcome! Try unstalling the driver then restarting your computer. It should reinstall the drive. That to me is not a cleaning issue.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1939151]Welcome! Try unstalling the driver then restarting your computer. It should reinstall the drive. That to me is not a cleaning issue.[/QUOTE]

No way, windows can’t find de disc not the drive.
“Please insert Disk into Drive E"
Read again
"Last time I used this drive is 6 months back”

Kandala PLEASE tell us if you solve the problem.

I uninstalled the driver using the device manager and now i am able to paly the DVDs but not the CDS

Can you boot from a CD? Say, something like a Windows or Linux installation CD, or something like the Ultimate Boot CD*? This can help nail down if it is Windows or the drive.

*: UBCD is a free utility to download, if you have nothing else.

Sounds like the drive, after assuming by this time you have restarted the computer by now. :wink: Let us know if your problems is resolved ok, Take Care.

I tried to load anti virus software cd but no luck and i do not have any windows boot cd i will try to do this