My CD Burns keep failing, but DVD burns are ok?

Got a problem, my CD burns keep failing. I have used 2 programs for about 3 years and never had any problems untill now. Sonic Record and Nero and I dont think its the media because I have used this brand for the past year.

Usually when Im burning a cd to disc it will take 5mins. But now it starts off saying 5 mins remaining, then jumps to like 17mins and then jumps to 50mins and then after about 3 mins it fails.

What could be up?

thanks

@ BillyCostigan,

Suggest ensuring that your undisclosed ‘Burner’ is operating in the DMA Mode and not in the PIO Mode. Suggest reviewing the below CD Freaks Forum posting for details ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616

Provide the complete full-untruncated Error Native and Error Code you are receiving.

Also Provide an N e r o Burning Log File of a CD Media failed Burning attempt.

Perchance is this particular problem related to your apparently unresolved pervious “Computer shuts down near end of encoding” problem?

Regards,
bjkg

I will do a Nero burning log tomorrow. But what do you meen DMA mode and not PIO? I have not had problems in the previous 4 years, its only just started. Also, how do I check the type of burner?

Im a newb with computers.

And the previous encoding is now fixed. Cleaning the dust seemed to fix this.

thanks

@ BillyCostigan,

From your #3 posting DMA/PIO question it is obvious you have not read the information contained in the reference provided in posting #2. Suggest thoroughly reading all the information contained in the reference provided in posting #2.

The N e r o Burning Log File will reveal the Model Number of your ‘Burner’.

Regards,
bjkg

i have the same problem after a clean install dvd’s burn but cd’s fail…
tried different burning programs but it doesn’t recognize my OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7201.
but my dvd durning program does
i flashed my OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7201 when i first got it does it need done again after clean install?
tried to flash again but get, target optiarc AD-7201A is not found correctly
i did chech the link in post #2 everything was set to DMA

sorry didn’t mean to hijack a post

[QUOTE=BillyCostigan;2269534]Got a problem, my CD burns keep failing. I have used 2 programs for about 3 years and never had any problems untill now. Sonic Record and Nero and I dont think its the media because I have used this brand for the past year.

Usually when Im burning a cd to disc it will take 5mins. But now it starts off saying 5 mins remaining, then jumps to like 17mins and then jumps to 50mins and then after about 3 mins it fails.

What could be up?

thanks[/QUOTE]
Bill I have the same problem and wondered if you have found the answer.
I’m using Nero and hust want to burn photo images to a CD-R for back up and to use to print pictures. I’ve already gone through 6 CD-R disc that have failed. Hope you got an anawer.
Ray Kwok kwokie2@shaw.ca

Bill I have the same problem. I use Nero and it just recentley go about 75 % and then kick out saying burn failed. gone through6 disc with no luck.
I was wondering if you have found the answer. Ray Kwok sunnein@hotmail.com