My Burner, My Computer, or both?

My Burner, My Computer, or both?

I recently purchased a Gateway GT5056 Personal Computer with Dual Core technology. I got it from Best Buy for what seemed to be a pretty good deal. The DVD Burner that came with it is a TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H552D. It seems to burn CD’s ok, and I haven’t Done a DVD yet, but my problem is communication between it and The Gateway. Most of the time it recognizes that there is something in the drive, while other times it doesn’t show anything in there at all. Usually by ejecting the CD or DVD, and then re-inserting it, it then recognizes that there is something in there and I can take it from there. I wanted to Upgrade the Drivers, and maybe even the firmware, but I’m not sure just exactly what make a TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H552D is, that’s why as usual I’m turning to you-all. Has anyone else experienced anything like this, and if so was it with the same Gateway/DVD Burner combo? Do any of you know what a TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H552D truly is, and is it easy to get drivers or update the firmware? Most importantly, does that help to improve the overall performance, or am I better off just looking for another Burner, if so, any suggestions?
As usual Thanks ahead of time for your help.
Uncle Bob

PS. Oh yeah where can I go to get updated drivers & or, Firmware for this baby & do you think it might help to uninstall this drive, and let windows reinstall it when it recognizes it when I Re boot the computer?

This is a MediaTek based SATA drive, so I think first you better try with high quality DVD-R media. :wink:

Some say this is the same drive as SH-W162C.
Use DISCInfo and check current firmware. :slight_smile:

Hi,

TSST is a joint venture of Samsung and Toshiba. The drive seems to be an OEM version of SH-W162D designed for a special market. Unfortunately, the TS-H552D is not mentioned in www.samsungodd.com :frowning:

and is it easy to get drivers or update the firmware?
There is no such thing like a driver for optical drives, as they are natively supported by any modern operating system. There is firmware available, you’ll have to look at the support area of your computer’s manufacturer as this is an OEM drive. Another source may be www.rpc1.org - but they often have unofficial firmware available, installing these will void your warranty.

Most importantly, does that help to improve the overall performance,
No. Firmware updates for DVDRW drives add (writing) support for newer media types.

or am I better off just looking for another Burner, if so, any suggestions?
If you are under warranty, then complain at your vendor or the manufacturer of your computer. Also it is not impossible, that something screwed up your Windows installation (copy protection software and similar crap)

PS. Oh yeah where can I go to get updated drivers & or, Firmware for this baby
see above.
& do you think it might help to uninstall this drive, and let windows reinstall it when it recognizes it when I Re boot the computer?
Try that, you don’t have anything to lose.

Michael

Do any of you know what a TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H552D truly is, and is it easy to get drivers or update the firmware?

the TS-H552D is not mentioned in www.samsungodd.com :frowning:
If your current firmware starts with “CM0*” then this chinese link might help. :slight_smile:
Attaching supported media list for CM03.

TS-H552D_CM03_speedsettings.txt (9.13 KB)

I have the same drive and computer and my problem is whenever something that uses installshield wizard is installed, I always get a Data3.cab error

Hi

I have a Gateway GM5088. After spending an entire day, literally, with this computer, the conclusion was drawn that the drive itself is defective. I have contacted Samsung on the hopes they have a firmware/driver/patch for that TS-H552D. Mine seems to NOT want to recognize any DVD-RW no matter what the brand of media. Seems they’ve shipped a lot of computers with a very inferior multiformat optical drive that truly is not multiformat. IF I do not hear from Samsung in a timely fashion, I will be taking the computer back to place of purchase so they can replace the drive as at least I was smart enough to have a Service agreement. Other than that, the computer seems to be okay as this is my first Gateway after being an avid Sony user. The ONLY real reason I got the Gateway was I could not resist the bargain price, but I guess the old adage goes, “sometimes a bargain is exactly that”.

Hope this helps others, and as soon and IF I hear back from Samsung, I will re-post a message.

//Ijusthuman

On Friday I tried to use my Sonic software to copy photos onto a blank CD, and it would not go at all. My “C” drive is working fine, but the CD/DVD won’t even recogonize whatever CD I put in!

The other drive will recognize and play music CDs and DVDs.

The DVD-RW drive is “E:”. Sorry about that.