My burned movies wont play all the way thru anymore

vbimport

I am so frustrated…I am rather new at burning DVDs. I have been using CxtoDVD for a couple weeks cuz it seems to work best for me and my burning handicaps. I have converted several from .avi to dvd and everything was great. Then all of the sudden I burn them now and it will play about 1/4 of the movie and then it just stops but the dvd player keeps counting like it is playing. On the back of the DVD it isn’t a solid circle on the part that is burned, there are two shades of color(darker on the inside, then lighter). Some of the ones I burned b4 were like that, but they worked. I have Memorex and Fuji both -R and +R and the same thing happens with both. I tried burning one with DVD Santa and it wont play all the way through either. I haven’t changed the settings. This all started after an upgrade so I uninstalled and reinstalled the previous version, but no luck.
What could have changed? Is there something wrong with my cd/dvd rom
PS The ones I burned that wont play on my stand alone (it’s an LG, brand new) also won’t play on my laptop (Intervideo DVD) it gets “stuck” as well. HELP.

Waiting in Fort Worth,
BlackJewelGirl

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The problem you described is typical of a bad burned disc, and most of times this is due to a low quality disc.

Both media you are using are not really good discs. The solution is to use only quality discs. Try with a Verbatim: this should solve.

Other things you can do is update the drive firmware (if a new version is available) or trying to burn these discs at a different speed. For example, usually 16x certified media give better results if burned at 12x or 8x.

Sounds like a problem in the burning process or poor quality disks. What make and model burner do you have? What speed are you burning at?

I take it you are using ConvertXtoDVD and are burning straight to disk rather than keeping a copy on the hard drive.

First thing I would try would be to slow down your burning speed. If that is not effective, try some Verbatim 16x blank dvds and burn them at 8x.

Edit: Geno beat me to the punch.

Thanks you soooo much for your replies. I have been reading that I according to you “knowbies” I probably chose the worst possible disk out there. I bought them at Sam’s, so there wasn’t much to choose from. I don’t know the writer I have, I just know that when the CxDVD comes up it says “pattin Couffin” or something close to that. So is that my writer. I will try at a slower speed. I have the movie on my HD in that I downloaded it to a file in .avi and then opened it in CxDVD…it is what you mean by having it on my HD? I will get some new disks. My husband tried to watch Dark Knight last nite and it stopped at ch. 17…:frowning:
Do you know anything about why some of them look sold on the back and some of them look like there are two separate burns?
I will try your suggestions and let you know. :bow: I may worship you if this works after all the frustration.
BlackJewelGirl

Thanks you soooo much for your replies. I have been reading that I according to you “knowbies” I probably chose the worst possible disk out there. I bought them at Sam’s, so there wasn’t much to choose from. I don’t know the writer I have, I just know that when the CxDVD comes up it says “pattin Couffin” or something close to that. So is that my writer. I will try at a slower speed. I have the movie on my HD in that I downloaded it to a file in .avi and then opened it in CxDVD…it is what you mean by having it on my HD? I will get some new disks. My husband tried to watch Dark Knight last nite and it stopped at ch. 17…:frowning:
Do you know anything about why some of them look sold on the back and some of them look like there are two separate burns?
I will try your suggestions and let you know. :bow: I may worship you if this works after all the frustration.
BlackJewelGirl[/QUOTE]

what Geno888 said pretty much sums it up really well.

dont worry BlackJewelGirl getting say some Verbatim DVD+R discs and burning them @ 8x is a pretty safe bet they will work good :wink: … if not, your burner is either lower quality (could be a firmware issue to) or your dvd player is really picky i would assume.

but BEFORE you get some newer discs… try burning what you currently have @ 8x and see if it works :wink:

Or just get a DVD player that plays DivX files then you don’t need to encode the .avi files to dvd you can just put them straight to disk as they are.