My burned media has some darker spots, is this normal?

vbimport

I just started to follow your recommendations for not to burn my verbatim 8x media at 4x, but this is what happened on my first 8x burn with my pioneer 109.

I see rings, and not only rings, i see darker areas where new rings are being made, is this normal? because the dvd burn verification said the dvd was ok, but who knows what might happen in the future.

I don’t know about the spots you refer to but a burnt cd/dvd will have a different color where it’s been burnt.

it is ok for the colour of the burnt surface to change from one write zone to another. On the Pioneer 109 The very first part of the disk gets burnt at 6speed, then it switches to 8 speed and finishes. There are slightly different stratagies for the 6 and 8 speed burning, thus the finished disk looks slightly different in those 2 zones.

If you are seeing a dot or two in your burn, it could be dye defect. If they are small, they are ussually not a massive problem. (Unless you like throwing away perfectly good media over paranoia)

I burnt a DVD at 12x today for the first time (TGY02) and it did the same thing. One darker spot and the burn itself is darker that those I made at 8x.

One thing though, these medias are 8x rated so I burnt overspeed. Next time, I’ll do at 8x I think…

I have also a Pioneer DVR-109 like you.

Normally all disc are subject to OPC procedure before burning it. It might be that the first rings indicates the test area for finding the best and optimum power (opc procedure) then the succeding rings with darker areas indicates the transistion power between 6x and 8x area. Which is correct that there are slightly different stratagies for both speed. The drive will perform opc at speed approx. 4.x (if i remember well) in the inner side of the disc near the clamper area. The drive normally used CAV (inner most of the disc approx. 5.x speed) then CLV (after it has been reached the 8x zone) for fixed 8x speed. :iagree:

Dots are clearly defects in the dye.
If you do a quality scan, you will see a burst in error spikes in those regions.

Whether they are massive or not and whether we should keep the disks or not depend on the user’s decision.

It can also because of dust and other particles on the disc before burning. This shadows the dye from the laser, and thus means that area is unburnt! … NOT A DYE DEFECT in that circumstance

“It can also because of dust and other particles on the disc before burning”

I backup that. I’ve only had spots on medias when:

1. writing them faster than their rated max. speed
  2. medias were dusty/dirty before burn
  3. poor quality, budget media.

Now I’m more careful with handling, specially with discs in spindles… I take them out the spindle only to put them directly into the drive, and close the spindle rightaway.

Good luck :slight_smile:

I do the same thing. I think it’s also a good idea to check every disk under a bright light before burning it, expecially if you’re burning Audio CDs (it might happen to find some interesting things like fingerprints, oil spots, etc…). Of course dirty disks should be used only for second choice burnings (music to listen to in the car for instance) - even if you try to clean them you wouldn’t be able to get good results.
In my experience, such spots as those mentioned by gcmospeada are typical of low quality media (particles of dust aren’t so big) and possibly they are not related to recording speed. Once (in 1999!) I bought a small batch of King Pro Mediatek CD-Rs (plain silver label, w/o writings) and after I noticed they had several such spots (appearing AFTER they’d been burned) I tried to burn them at different speeds, but w/o getting better results. In any case, now, after 6 years (I just checked one), they still work :-)))

Bye,
Marco.