My BTC 1004 Burns DVD-R's at 2.4 speed

I just got my new BTC 1004 and am very pleased with it. I own a Pioneer DVR-105 and wanted to compliment it with a multi-format drive. The Micro-Advantage was at the right price at the right time.

When I went to burn my first disc, I used a K-Hypermedia disc that burns at 2X in my pioneer, When I loaded it up in my BTC, Nero reported it as a 2.4X speed disc. I didn’t know a DVD-R disc could burn at 2.4X…I’m pleased because I just shaved about 5-7 minutes off of the burn time.

Is this common?

Is this common?

No, definately not. As a matter of fact 2.4X certified DVD+R/+RW only gets burned at 2X on the 1004IM (this is a limitation of the firmware, NOT the MediaTek chipset)

What version of nero and the 1004IM firmware are you using? This sounds like a Nero bug to me.

Cheers,
Peter

If you use this version, I have the same bug…
Do not exist with 5.5.10.50 version.

Actually I use Nero 6.0.0.28. Never succeded in getting the 5.5.10.54 to work with the 1004IM.

Are you sure the DVD-R actually gets burned at 2.4X?

I went back last night and confirmed the availability of a 2.4X burn speed with Nero 5.5.10.54

My Pioneer DVR-105 does not report the availability of a 2.4X speed.

On my Pioneer drive, a full DVD-R typically takes about 30-33 minutes to burn at 2X. On my BTC 1004 with 2.4X selected, It took about 25-28 minutes for a full DVD-R disc.

I will burn another disc this weekend and try to confirm that it is in fact burning at 2.4X on my 1004 drive.

Burning a full 4.7GB DVD at 2.4X should take no more than 25 mins. Actually you can calculate the expected burntime by this simple formula:

burntime = 60 / burnspeed

burntime = 60 / 8 = 7.5 mins
burntime = 60 / 4 = 15 mins
burntime = 60 / 2.4 = 25 mins
burntime = 60 / 2 = 30 mins
burntime = 60 / 1 = 59.999999999 mins :slight_smile:

and so forth.

Burning +R/+RW at 2.4X speed has been disabled in firmware - and definately not possible with DVD-R/-RW. It’s a nero bug, if you ask me. And it’s not the first!

pdu -

60 minutes / 2.4 = 25 minutes + finalizing the disc time = at least 25 minutes, doesn’t it?

Pdu - We must be typing at the same time:)

Thanks!

is burning at lower speed better in terms of burn quality, especially with this sensitive drive? I am asking because the ritekg03 is rated at 1x but I can burn at 2x, I don’t mind waiting longer I put more weight on quality

Back in the day when I got my first 2x2x6 CD-RW, the longer it took to burn the higher the probability it would fail due to the heat build up.

I don’t think that’s the case today, but the lesson has stuck with me ever since and I like to get a disk burned as fast as possible. Having said that, it is most likely true that higher burn speeds would produce more coasters especially with cheap media.

Originally posted by cdf
is burning at lower speed better in terms of burn quality, especially with this sensitive drive? I am asking because the ritekg03 is rated at 1x but I can burn at 2x, I don’t mind waiting longer I put more weight on quality

You can check burnquality easily by using K’s Probe. This way you will see if burning at 2X is worse than 1X.

thank you for your advise, pdu, I just finished reading rdgrimes’ tutorial on the k’s probe linked through your beginners’ guide, I am going to try it out tonight, so far I only use cdspeed for scandisk and speed test, some very weird results on the speed tests in that the read speed flucuates up and down very widely towards the end and also starts to drop a lot around 3.0GB

someone in rdgrimes’ thread says max PI should not be more than 300 and PO should not be more than 4, is it true? because by that standard, most of the BTC graphs (even the good burns) don’t look too good

here are some results for Pioneer A6:

http://stoned.at/escalator

the good medias have very good results (TYGO1 DVD-R: PI max 5, PO max 3, RICOHJPN R01 DVD+R: PI max 4, PO max 3, MCC 002 DVD+R: PI max 5, PO max 3)

I haven’t seen anything even remotely like that for the BTC, does that mean BTC is not as good as the Pioneer based on these comparison statistics? I am a newbie and still trying to figure this thing out

rdgrimes suggests using a constand read speed using the probe preferably at burn speed, somebody suggests using CD Bremse to lock DVD-ROM drive to a fixed speed to get an accurate reading because the speed lock by K’s probe only works on burners, what’s your opinion on that? thanks

someone in rdgrimes’ thread says max PI should not be more than 300 and PO should not be more than 4, is it true? because by that standard, most of the BTC graphs (even the good burns) don’t look too good

Well, I’m not 100% shure but I think PI < 280 and PO < 32 is what you should aim/hope for. Remember to set speed to 4, ECC to 8 and uncheck max if you intend to do some comparisons.

the good medias have very good results (TYGO1 DVD-R: PI max 5, PO max 3, RICOHJPN R01 DVD+R: PI max 4, PO max 3, MCC 002 DVD+R: PI max 5, PO max 3)

This is possible with the BTC as well. Media with MID=BeAll.G00001 (Samsung DVD-R, 2X) has scores better than Pioneer. PI avg = 4.252 abd PO avg = 0.122. This is the best score I have seen so far with the BTC. You really have to be carefull when choosing media for the BTC. Burnquality with TYG01 is not as good as it could be. Anyway, find a few media that works for you and STICK WITH THEM. For now forget abour Princo and other cheap stuff - well, the BeAll.G0001 is actually fairly cheap.