My Book essential 1TB not reacting

vbimport

Hello,

i have a problem with my external drive which is new.
When i purchsed everything went well but for two days now the drive is slowing down the system (vista premium 32 bit), folders are not opening, i can’t unzip files with winrar as i am using cryptload for downloading files from netloaded and there is a very slow response to the drive.
I tryied to change settings in wd smartware but no success.
I am using this drive for backup purposes of drive c as for archiving music, avis etc.I have about 250gb free and when i disconnect the drive my computer is running normally so it is definitively the drive that is slowing down everything.I have another backup software running from my 500 gb seagate drive (memeo) but i always close this software when wd mybook essential 1TB is connected.The first few weeks there was no problem but now i regret not having bought a seagate drive again.

any suggestions?:confused:

sorry , the thread is reffering to wd my book essential 1tb, apologies!

[QUOTE=kostas_d;2493112]Hello,

i have a problem with my external drive which is new.
When i purchsed everything went well but for two days now the drive is slowing down the system (vista premium 32 bit), folders are not opening,[B] i can’t unzip files with winrar as i am using [B][B]cryptload[/B][/B] for downloading files from netloaded[/B] and there is a very slow response to the drive.
I tryied to change settings in wd smartware but no success.
[/QUOTE]

Leave it, its unrelaible and questionable software anyway.

you 're referring to cryptload.Well have read about that but for me a useful tool at the moment.Don’t think that that is the problem as when i’m stopping the backing up function of the drive everything is working well.
This wd software-many people have problems with that.
Anyway-thanks for answering.

So you contacted wd support?

I have the very same problem when any USB hard drives (or for that matter, any USB device that takes any advantage at all whatsoever of anything above USB 1.x performance) are in use with any of my systems: Every single system of mine slows down in a similar fashion when I tried to use the computer at the same time anything that requires anywhere close to full USB 2.0 High-Speed bandwidth is being transferred through the USB interface (this means that any file transfers through USB or any use of transcoding programs with video files located on any USB external drive will take up the entire bandwidth of the interface or the USB device itself, whichever is more restrictive). Face it, the USB 2.0 High-Speed interface is simply nowhere near fast enough to keep up with the performance of modern hard drives (remember, these 1TB drives are capable of maximum sustained physical transfer speeds of over 90 MB/s, but the USB interface is restricting it to barely over 30 MB/s), and it uses up a lot more of your system processor’s load (aka “CPU Utilization”) than it should have.

In other words, it’s the entire USB 2.0 High-Speed interface on any system that’s to blame (and this slowdown of system performance during USB data transfers occurs no matter which brand of external hard drive you use). If what you’ve been doing (running cryptload) is what you intend with an external hard drive, you will need to purchase an eSATA card (unless your system’s motherboard has built-in eSATA ports in the rear) and an external hard drive with an eSATA interface or an internal SATA hard drive and eSATA external enclosure combo. Too bad Western Digital currently does not offer a Windows-compatible external hard drive kit with anything other than USB (since they discontinued all of their eSATA and FireWire external hard drive kits for Windows last year) - and their recently-introduced USB 3.0 drives cost way more money than other external hard drives of the same capacity (since current SATA-to USB 3.0 bridges/translators/converters are astronomically expensive). And a USB 3.0 external hard drive kit is out of consideration (unless you already have a USB 3.0 controller in your system) because it would have defaulted to the USB 2.0-compatible mode on your system and thus you would have had the very same problem with slowdowns.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2493242]I have the very same problem when any USB hard drives (or for that matter, any USB device that takes any advantage at all whatsoever of anything above USB 1.x performance) are in use with any of my systems: Every single system of mine slows down in a similar fashion when I tried to use the computer at the same time anything that requires anywhere close to full USB 2.0 High-Speed bandwidth is being transferred through the USB interface (this means that any file transfers through USB or any use of transcoding programs with video files located on any USB external drive will take up the entire bandwidth of the interface or the USB device itself, whichever is more restrictive). Face it, the USB 2.0 High-Speed interface is simply nowhere near fast enough to keep up with the performance of modern hard drives (remember, these 1TB drives are capable of maximum sustained physical transfer speeds of over 90 MB/s, but the USB interface is restricting it to barely over 30 MB/s), and it uses up a lot more of your system processor’s load (aka “CPU Utilization”) than it should have.

In other words, it’s the entire USB 2.0 High-Speed interface on any system that’s to blame (and this slowdown of system performance during USB data transfers occurs no matter which brand of external hard drive you use). If what you’ve been doing (running cryptload) is what you intend with an external hard drive, you will need to purchase an eSATA card (unless your system’s motherboard has built-in eSATA ports in the rear) and an external hard drive with an eSATA interface or an internal SATA hard drive and eSATA external enclosure combo. Too bad Western Digital currently does not offer a Windows-compatible external hard drive kit with anything other than USB (since they discontinued all of their eSATA and FireWire external hard drive kits for Windows last year) - and their recently-introduced USB 3.0 drives cost way more money than other external hard drives of the same capacity (since current SATA-to USB 3.0 bridges/translators/converters are astronomically expensive). And a USB 3.0 external hard drive kit is out of consideration (unless you already have a USB 3.0 controller in your system) because it would have defaulted to the USB 2.0-compatible mode on your system and thus you would have had the very same problem with slowdowns.[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that the USB 2.0 interface cannot handle simultaneous two-way transfers through the bus. Transfers can only go in one direction at a time. Your use of cryptload is set to download files onto your external hard drive, which is why you could not use WinRAR to unpack any files on the external hard drive to any location on your main hard drive (this would have constituted simultaneous two-way operation which USB wasn’t designed for in the first place). And even if you use WinRAR to unpack files on the external hard drive to another location on that same external drive, some feedback would have been transferred to the main program that’s on your system’s main hard drive - and once again, this would have resulted in simultaneous two-way operation that’s unsupported in USB 2.0 with cryptload running and downloading in the background. The only way to currently fix this would be to stop running cryptload before you run any program which delivers feedback that’s transferred from the external back to the main hard drive - and only after you are finished with the program may you restart cryptload.

well thank you.I will try to contact wd support.
As for the esata thing my older drive (seagate freeagent 500gb) is able to handle esata so i’ll give it a try.I can also use cryptload with drive c and transfer later to my extern harddrive.As we speak everything is running well because i have stopped the automatic backup of the wd drive.I am backing up my files with the seagate drive so there has not to be any paranoia of losing any files.Maybe i won;t use the wd drive for automatic backup but for backing up my avis and stuff.
Anyway thanks for your time and writing all these incredible experience and knowledge you have.

Ciao-

kostas_d:clap: