My BenQ hangs at 98% when creating dvd image at 12x-16x read speed

vbimport

I don’t understand what is going on with my 2 BenQ 1620 drives. It seems that whenever I try to do a backup copy of a backup dvd using nero (any version) the part where nero ‘creates the image for burning’ always hangs at 98% when reading using 12x-16x read speed. I never get any error messages…NOTHING…it just hangs there, forcing a hard reboot to get my system back to normal again. And this is happening with every backup dvd I try. (I’m making copies of some backup movies for my brother, in case someone is wondering)
My Pioneer 108 (Piodata firmware) and NEC 3520a (L&D 1.UF) on the other hand have no problems reading these same discs, Nero creates the image with no problems, spits out the disc and asks for a fresh blank dvd to burn. :slight_smile: I love it…no headaches.

As far as my media is concerned, most of my movies are on either Ritek (RiData) G04’s or 4x BenQ’s (rebadged Sony’s) ripped and burned on my girlfriend’s Pioneer A06 (excellent drive by the way).

And last but not least, these are the steps I have taken towards trying to resolve my current situation.

1. Is DMA enabled ?..yes
  2. Check the BIOS?..yes
  3. Burst Rate = 23
  4. Swap drives between master and slave?..yes
  5. Try other IDE channel?..yes
  6. Try another computer ?..yes (Older Dell GX110 P3-933, 512 SDRAM etc…)

And all with the same results. The BenQ’s cannot read higher than 8x without giving me problems.

Thanks in advance guys and hopefully someone has my solution.

It sounds to me it’s a media problem. Try using another brand of dvd media like Maxell or Taiyo Yuden (Fuji). If you’re making a backup copy of a backup why not just use DECRYPTER to burn rather than using NERO. Read the disc as ISO then write as ISO as well. :wink: :wink: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

dvd_addict,

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried some of my TY’s as well and I know they are the REAL DEAL (media code:GG000102) and not the fake crap on the market, and yes with the same results. But I will definately give DECRYPTER a go at it tonight when I get home from work. At this point I will try anything.

Thanks again man, I appreciate the help.

TO ALL MY CD FREAK FRIENDS : ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE ACCEPTED DON’T BE SHY !!!