My beloved BenQ 1620 died. What to buy next?

Subject line says it all. I need to replace my BenQ1620 that died over the weekend. Tray won’t open anymore, doesn’t recognize any disk at all etc. I’ve been out of the DVD burner game for quite a while and have no idea what’s hot these days. Looking around at CDFreaks it seems lots of people like the Samsung SH-203B. But this drive is over a year old and hard to come by these days. Which drive holds the current Editor’s Choice award? The replacement drive can be IDE or SATA doesn’t matter I can run both. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
-Marc

[QUOTE=rephlex;2130622]Subject line says it all. I need to replace my BenQ1620 that died over the weekend. Tray won’t open anymore, doesn’t recognize any disk at all etc. I’ve been out of the DVD burner game for quite a while and have no idea what’s hot these days. Looking around at CDFreaks it seems lots of people like the Samsung SH-203B. But this drive is over a year old and hard to come by these days. Which drive holds the current Editor’s Choice award? The replacement drive can be IDE or SATA doesn’t matter I can run both. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
-Marc[/QUOTE]

Hi rephlex,
may your DW1620 rest in peace :sad:.
I would buy either Optiarc 720x or Pioneer 115/215 as a replacement.