My BDR-205 Died!

vbimport

OK…here some background…not sure if this is the cause. I have a Samsung SH-S223Q and the Pioneer BDR-205. I am not sure if this is a cause, or effect…but I had the Samsung on SATA 2 and the Pioneer on SATA 3. I have two HDD on SATA 0 and SATA 1 and run them in RAID 0 mode…so that forces my drives into ACHI mode. The Samsung is over a year old…and the Pioneer was put into the system on 12/21/09, and the box arrived seriously crushed by UPS on the way…giving cause for concern from even customer service at Newegg. On 12/31…I had issues with the Pioneer, where my machine began to hang up on bootup…trying to detect the BDR. Then, once I got into Windows…the drive disappeared. So I rma’d it and have a new one coming on 1/11 from the Egg. Here is a further development…as of yesterday…my Samsung began burning horrible quality discs at an alarming rate (every one). The Sammy has done pristine burns for quite awhile…and now seems to not be able to do that any more.

Here is the crux of the post: They were on separate SATA ports, but I did have them share the same rail from my PSU. Oftentimes, I would use the Sammy as the source disc while I used the Pioneer to burn…I just wonder of they both lacked the power needed to work properly.

Is it reasonable to assume that there was enough power coming out of a single rail on a Thermaltake Toughpower 750 to support both drives? OR by coincidence…did I received a “damaged” BDR and the Samsung is now on it’s way out due to age and use??? OR…could I have a PSU that is going and took the drives with it. So far, my voltages seem quite normal.

Any thoughts here are appreciated…

Bob

EVGA E758 Motherboard with Intel i7 920 (not overclocked)
Two WD VelociRaptors in RAID 0
Samsung SH-S223Q on SATA 2
Pioneer BDR-205 on SATA 3
EVGA GTX 260 / 216
Creative X-fi Extreme Gamer Fatality Pro
Thermaltake Toughpower 750 PSU

OK…I have the Samsung part of the equation figured out. Seems that unless I am burning Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden DVD’s…then I am asking for trouble. Verbatim and Taiyo’s give me between 95-98% quality, even now.

As far as the Pioneer BDR-205…I guess that UPS had done so much damage during shipping…that after a short time…the drive had nothing left. Perhaps they damaged the lens…who knows…but the box it was shipped in from the egg looked like an accordian when I got it handed to me from the UPS driver. Even Customer Service at the egg wanted to RMA from day 1…I just wanted to see if the drive was OK…as we know now…NO!

I get the new drive on Monday…won’t be back to install until after 9PM…will post back as to the status…

One further question…is it more advisable to keep the two drives on separate rails from the PSU? I can move the Samsung to a rail that only has two case fans on it…they barely draw any power…

Thoughts

Thanks

Bob

Bob

Having them on the same rail shouldn’t be a problem for any reasonably good power supply.