My 8x burner burning at 2x with 16x media (Matshita UJ-850S)

[qanda]This thread is about the Matshita UJ-850S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi all.

I have:

Toshiba Satellite L300D-01Q
Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device
Windows Vista
DeepBurner software
Memorex 16x DVD-R

My burner is supposed to be able to burn DVD-R at 8x. However, usually DeepBurner shows the max speed at 2x, although it does sometimes show 8x, all while using the same media…

Also though, it takes pretty much the same amount of time to burn a disc whether it shows 2x or 8x (30 minutes for a 4.35gb .ISO).

I am confused!

I guess my first question is: If the 4.35gb .ISO takes 30 minutes to burn, is it burning at 2x or 8x?

First, dump DeepBurner. Go get ImgBurn.

Second, a 30 minute burn is most definitely not 8x on a 4Gb image.

Third, the most common cause of 2x burning is that the Transfer Mode for your drive has changed from DMA to PIO.

Thanks for the input.

I tried to read up a little on DMA and PIO, but most of it is like chinese to me, which would be fine if I was chinese, but i’m not :slight_smile:

Is it safe to switch to DMA?

In Device Manager, I have:

ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1
ATA Channel 1

For both ATA Channel 0’s, they are set to Ultra DMA Mode as well as Enable DMA.

For both ATA Channel 1’s though, there is no info under Devices, Device Type, or Current Mode.

Your Optical Drive [I]should [/I]be in DMA mode. The short reason for it being in PIO mode is that your drive got too many errors while attempting to read a disc. The Long Answer is over here: http://winhlp.com/node/10 although that may be more information that you need and in a foreign language (CDFreakese).

I’m not in front of my Vista machine so I will direct you to another thread where Womble explains how to check/enable DMA in Vista (with pictures and no Chinese).

[QUOTE=Icy Mt.;2239688]I’m not in front of my Vista machine so I will direct you to another thread where Womble explains how to check/enable DMA in Vista (with pictures and no Chinese).[/QUOTE]

Thanks again. I did find that thread, which is what directed me to the right place, but as far as I can tell, I am already in DMA mode as per my last post above. Am I right?

It sure looks like you are right. I haven’t used DeepBurner in forever so I’m not sure about your settings. I doesn’t sound like you are actually getting the burn speed set correctly.

Thanks a bunch. I’ll try ImgBurn tonight and see what happens.

Last but not least, Memorex media is crappy media.
And evenmore with a picky Matshita burner.

…and if the Matshita burner doesn’t have firmware support for the DVD media, it will burn at 2x/2.4x. Matshita burners are also picky about media.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Since I just ran out of Memorex, I just bought 100 Verbatims online for $20! :slight_smile:

Thanks, chef and Drage, I was at wit’s end and I blew right by the Memorex media. You are the lucky one, JOOCE, you should have better luck with Verbatim and ImgBurn.