My 811s slowed down! Why?

vbimport

#1

I bought a LiteOn 811s two months ago and haven’t changed the firmware (FSOE).

The first 30 DVDs took some 20 minutes each to copy to the harddrive (with Fairuse).
Also, the first 15 data DVDs I burned, took some 15+15 minutes to burn+validate (Nero Express 6 at 4x).

However, two weeks ago, all these times doubled!
Why!?

I back up the same quality of DVDs (in terms of scratches and fingerprints).
I write to the same media type (Ritek-R G04 and TDK/MXL+R, all 4x).


#2

Originally posted by jonabsoul
However, two weeks ago, all these times doubled!
Why!?

try search next time.

right now check DMA


#3

Originally posted by cnlson
[B]try search next time.

right now check DMA [/B]

Thanks, cnlson. (I did a search, but obviously not a good one…)

So… I need to read up on this stuff, though I find it a bit daunting. I did install a second hard drive at about the time I got the slowdown.


#4

Originally posted by cnlson
…check DMA

Thanks, cnlson, you saved my sanity!
Here’s what I did:

  1. As per your DMA link, I uninstalled the Secondary IDE Channel, where my DVD-burner (and CD-burner) sit, from the Device Manager (I use Win XP).
  2. I rebooted, and the channel was automatically detected.
  3. First time, it came up insisting on PIO still, so I repeated steps 1 and 2.
  4. The second time it came up in DMA mode!

So now, the time to read data off a full DVD is some 10-15 minutes instead of 45. Also, I can do other things while copying data, without waiting 30 seconds on app to appear!