My 708A is probably dying

vbimport

It suddenly started some problems with DVD+RW’s. I only have 4X Infodiscs. The drive used to write them with no problem, now it started not to recognise even the DVD+RW’s it had written. Yellow led blinking. No problem with DVD writing, it even recognizes my oldest CDRW’s. But if I insert a virgin DVD+RW it recognizes and starts writing… then again it may recognize the one it didnt a minute ago. All of the written ones are DLA formatted, when the problem started it said the disk was read only and refused to write… now started the silly yellow blinking. I dont know what to do. I hated this drive from the first instance… very picky… spends minutes to behave… takes time to initialize a disk, etc… but now that I surpassed a year I cant RMA it I suppose. I live in Turkey and I have to send it to the States where I bought it. This is my 2d bad experience with DVD writers. My Pioneer 104 had stopped writing DVD’s aproximately a year later. I dont use them much, with this Plextor I have written 40-60 DVD’s at most. I ordered my NEC 3500a, I hope it will behave better. Do you think my 708 will stop writing anything soon?

You didn’t say anything about your system, but have you updated to the latest firmware for your drive? It could be the quality of the disks or a problem with DLA. Do you have DMA enabled for your drive. There are a lot of variables. Is your power supply adequate for your peripherals?

Try updating your firmware. If the drive shares the controller with a hard drive, put it on the secondary controller and set it as Master. Make sure DMA is enabled. Usually, if you set your bios to Auto, it will configure the drive right. What OS do you use? These are just a few things to consider.

Of course, your drive could be on the way out. Do a self-diagnostic as described in your manual.

Mark

Have you upgrade your firmware to 1.08 recently? That version sucks
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=731880&postcount=1
After a downgrade, my 708A works as new.

firmware version 1.08 is perfectly fine…my 708A drive is over a year old now… I had firmware 1.04 on my drive for the longest time until 1.08 came out…i have only flashed my drive once which was firmware 1.08 which i did to enable bitsetting…there is no reason to downgrade a firmware…if problems occur do the self diagnostic test that is in the plextor manual and if it fails then RMA the drive…

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs