My 2500A battle

When I first recieved my 2500A I was very excited considering I kept up to date with cdfreaks and knew that enabling DL was going to be an option. I received it probably about 2 1/2 months ago. My first DVD Burner. I’ve built systems for awhile now, but couldn’t haul the cash out for a DVD/RW until they dropped in price or the format wars kinda settled down.

So I recieved it and immeditaly flashed it with Herrie’s 1.07b5 firmware. I also received a spindle of RiData 4x DVD-R’s. Which are widely known as Ritek G04’s. I did burn a DVD of backup files I needed for a reformat and also burned a movie succesfully. Over the months I hadn’t burned too many DVD’s, but periodically I tried burning a regular CDR in it. It’s at this point the battle ensued.

I burned a CDR coaster. I hadn’t done that in years. So I pop it in my Liteon and let er’ rip. Success. I didn’t think of it as a big deal until my friend tried to play a CD in my 2500A with Winamp. Winamp suddenly stops responding and won’t play the CD. It’s not even a burned album so I wonder what’s up. I moved out so I didn’t have the time to mess with the problems at hand so I let time slip by.

Now I’m back, I upgraded from my AXP 1700+ @ 3400+ system to an A64 2400+ @ 3800+ system. I was going to give my 2500A to my brother and popped it in his new system and was unable to boot Windows Setup from the drive. So I popped it back in my A64 system and tried to play a CD but was unable. I then flashed it to 1.07 RPC-1 Dangerous Bro’s firmware because by this time I could give a rats ass about DL and just want my drive to funtion properly. Rebooted and then burned an xbox game successfully. (4.2Gb ISO) Played a CD in Winamp and all seemed good.

Tried to burn a 2nd xbox game and I get “Could not perform End of Disc-At-Once” error. (2.4Gb ISO) Coaster numero uno. I then try to burn a different xbox game and receive an “Power Calibration” error. (2.9Gb ISO) Coaster numero dos. I had known about this with people using the first release of Herrie’s beta 9 firmware, but not this one.

I then flash it to the stock 1.07 firmware and try again. I then try to simulate the same burning of the same game and receive a “No Seek Complete” error.

As for now I have offically stopped all my burning procedures with this drive mainly afraid of creating more coasters. It is although playing CDs in Winamp fine though. Whatever that means. Heh.

[I]As for my system configuration it all is below.

My original system:
Athlon XP 1.47GHz @ 2.4GHz
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0
1Gb PC-3200
Radeon 9700 Pro
Creative Audigy 2

Windows XP SP2
A64 1.8GHz @ Stock currently
Chaintech VNF3-250
1Gb PC-3200
Radeon 9800XT
Creative Audigy 2

The IDE configuration is as follows:

Prim Cont; Mas - WD 800JB, Sla - WD 800JB.
Sec Cont; Mas - Liteon 48x24x48, Sla - NEC 2500A. 100JB - Disconnected for testing.[/I]

So this is long and all and I’m sorry for that, but I’m on the brink of destruction here. I’m at the edge of rma’ing this drive back to newegg. You all are my last hope. I’m hoping you all can give me some suggestions before I resort to rma’ing.

Thanks,

obscure detour

Try it as secondary master!

Did you read the Nec troubleshooting guide, locaterd here http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=92320 ?

Well I switched it to master and installed MS’s standard IDE drivers and burned the 2.9Gb ISO successfully with Alcohol 120%. But the bad news is that it booted with the xbox fine but when trying to go deep within the game it loads forever and says you maybe have a damaged or dirty disc.

Just burned the other 2.4Gb ISO right now with Nero and it plays fine. By the way, I am burning all at 4x. So interesting results. No doubt better. But still unsure whats goin on. I’ll try extracting the ISO of the one that didn’t work on my Xbox’s Harddrive tomorrow. But for now, I sleep. Thanks GrrRon.

obscure detour

What kind of disc’s are you using (brand, media ID)?

RiData 4x DVD-R
DVD Identifier says Ritek G04’s.

0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00 02 76 0e 14 88 9a 80 00 .@…R…v…
0010 : 03 52 49 54 45 4b 47 00 04 30 34 00 00 00 00 00 .RITEKG…04…
0020 : 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 06 08 12 11 86 67 80 00 …g…

Was that the 50 pack of RiData DVD-R discs from Newegg? I’ve had the same problem with those discs and my 2500A with Herrie’s 1.07b5 firmware. However, I’ve had no problems burning other DVD-R’s or DVD+R’s from a variety of manufacturers and labelers. Verbatim, Memorex and Philips (all non-RitekG04) burn fine. The G04’s work ok for video in my stand-alone players, but with data discs I get errors when trying to read them either in my 2500A or LiteOn 163.

I’m staying away from G04’s, at least the cheap ones. I’d try another brand before RMA’ing the drive.

Dave

Yo-

Hey guys - go with Taiyo Yudens and you won’t have those problems and at $.58 each from www.rima.com it has got to be competitive with the Riteks…

Use the best to get the best results.

Mike