My 1640 looking at retirement. what replacement?

it still works, but often it will spit out a disc i just put in, not detecting it properly. i have to keep putting it in until the light flashes. it usually works after 2nd, sometimes 3rd time. there seems to be something wrong with the tray’s alignment.

i have a 1650 on my other rig i was considering moving over, but it doesn’t seem to scan as well. either way i would need another drive to replace a BENQ.

the only requirement i guess i have is accurate scanning. good burn quality would be nice too. my Samsung 203N pretty much takes care of most of my burning needs (that’s why i bought 3!) the 1640 however burnt some ahem questionable media better than the 203N, but i’ve decided a while ago to not use them anymore.

oh, and i have a SATA port open :slight_smile:

can someone suggest a burner that’s a good scanning drive? i would prefer SATA but that’s not a priority.

thanks

Maybe Pioneer DVR-112D CDFreaks choice awarded, LG, or even Sony might be choices for you? I own these drives but the LG is my reading jem:D!

Hi,[QUOTE=dynamis;1958531]

can someone suggest a burner that’s a good scanning drive? i would prefer SATA but that’s not a priority.[/QUOTE]There is only Liteon left if you need a scanner. Or stick with your Samsungs. But please note, there is no modern drive that is capable to do CD scans (in that case your Benqs are the only option).

Michael

[quote=mciahel;1958752]But please note, there is no modern drive that is capable to do CD scans (in that case your Benqs are the only option).[/quote] There are modern drives that can do CD scans, but none of them report as much information as Nexperia based BenQ drives or true Plextor drives, and these are not manufactured anymore.

@[B]dynamis[/B]: If the BenQ DW1640 is still working for reading CDs, I’d keep it handy just for scanning CDs if you need that.

For a drive that is good at scanning DVDs and has good writing quality, I’d suggest a LiteOn drive. If burn quality is your top priority, I’d get a Pioneer DVR-112/112D but Pioneer drives are not trustworthy scanners.

thanks guys for all your input. i’ll prob keep running the 1640 til it dies. it’s still burns great. also i forgot i have a DVR-112D in my closet. guess i should take a better look at it, heh. thanks again!

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1958770]For a drive that is good at scanning DVDs and has good writing quality, I’d suggest a LiteOn drive. If burn quality is your top priority, I’d get a Pioneer DVR-112/112D but Pioneer drives are not trustworthy scanners.[/QUOTE]

Why do we have to put up with this madness?! What happened to the all-around great drives of yesteryear, that could scan the best and burn the best?! :a

[quote=negritude;1968247]Why do we have to put up with this madness?! What happened to the all-around great drives of yesteryear, that could scan the best and burn the best?! :a[/quote] When did we ever have a single drive that was best at everything?
Back when there was only a single 1x drive available? :wink: