MUTE is released - A secure, simple & private peer-to-peer network

I just posted the article MUTE is released - A secure, simple & private peer-to-peer network.

Since the extinction of centralised server based file sharing networks,  P2P software developers thought that they got it right when they developed  decentralised based networks that do not...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7400-MUTE-is-released---A-secure-simple--private-peer-to-peer-network.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7400-MUTE-is-released---A-secure-simple--private-peer-to-peer-network.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

quote: If this network proves effective and gets a sufficient number of users online, it would be useful in some countries such asEurope for example where the music industry could still issue subpoena’s to ISP’s for offending user details without a judge’s signature. /endofquote at least in germany no one can directly ask ISPs for customers details. you definately need a ‘judge signature’. i’m not sure about other european countries. concerning the prog: let’s try it and if it fits, spread the word :slight_smile:

I say why not give it a shot. It is free so i think it can’t be all that bad. :g

Hmm I wonder if this software will fall under the same scrutiny as PGP? Untraceable encrypted network, could get sticky.

Doesn’t connect for me, this is all I get: L4 | Wed Dec 31 23:51:39 1969 (502 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Trying to add a new connection. L4 | Wed Dec 31 23:51:39 1969 (512 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Trying to connect to katcher.2y.net:4900 L2 | Wed Dec 31 23:51:59 1969 (841 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Connection failed to katcher.2y.net:4900 L4 | Wed Dec 31 23:52:34 1969 (381 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Adding a connection failed. L4 | Wed Dec 31 23:52:34 1969 (381 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Trying to add a new connection. L4 | Wed Dec 31 23:52:34 1969 (381 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Trying to connect to monolith.2y.net:4900 L2 | Wed Dec 31 23:52:52 1969 (787 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Connection failed to monolith.2y.net:4900

Well the only way to make a P2p network is through proxies which slow performance. That is because one proxy has to handle thousands of connections. However, if you had enough proxies to the point where each one only had to handle a few requests at a time, you could gain some performance back. Power in numbers. But in this case they could always go after the their super node which would be aiding a felony. However, there is the safe harbor law which says an ISP is not responsible for illegal material stored in their cache unless they knew it was there.

does anyone know how to use this program? i’m doing a search for something – anything – and i’m not getting results? could it be due to the fact that the software is brand new and that not many people have installed it yet? or is it because i haven’t read any howtos or what? 4 | Wed Dec 31 18:04:31 1969 (937 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Timed out connecting to host. L2 | Wed Dec 31 18:04:31 1969 (937 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Connection failed to katcher.2y.net:4900 L4 | Wed Dec 31 18:05:06 1969 (437 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Adding a connection failed. L4 | Wed Dec 31 18:05:06 1969 (437 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Trying to add a new connection. L4 | Wed Dec 31 18:05:06 1969 (437 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Trying to connect to monolith.2y.net:4900 L4 | Wed Dec 31 18:05:23 1969 (687 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Timed out connecting to host. i’ve forwared port 4900 from my linksys router, and nothing.
[edited by nite0859 on 20.12.2003 17:21]

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=992226&forum_id=283652 Join #mute-net on efnet, we are a bunch of people trying to get this network going, we have plenty of host ip’s for everyone to use. Proggy i sunstable as hell though at the moment. Nice idea though when it becomes more reliable. Merrin

All the download links are dead, sounds promising, lets get the guy who developed KaZaa lite to step in do some wriying for the program. Then it would really kick ass!!

A very interesting idea. But it does sound like traffic would be slow. And how does the security of this network measure against something like EarthStation 5? Let’s all give this a try, and then collaborate to build a side-by-side comparison of the pros/cons of both products. We all want unbeatable security and anonymity, but how many of us are willing to trade that for a serious drop in usability and efficiency? Presently, it makes more sense to use an insecure network and take your chances that you will not be singled out among the millions of other users. What specific changes or improvements do these products need to get us all to switch to a secure solution?